Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
System Restore failure by paparowe
I have Vista Home Premium (upgrade version from XP home sp2) installed on my new hpPavilion. I have inadvertantly deleted my Recycle Bin, now when I tried to use System Restore to get it back I get an error message that it has failed but no reason for the failure. It suggests that I try using another restore point, but when I do that (three times, now) I still get the same failure message....
April 2nd 07 07:20 PM
by Albert Sims Go to last post
2 221
Parental Controls by fanny
I am the only user on my computer, so I use the administrator account. I am having issues with parental controls blocking me from doing certain things, (playing a downloaded game... family feud!) from a trusted site, but when i go to set parental controls, I am told that there are none set for the administrator account. Please help?
April 2nd 07 06:56 PM
by Alun Harford Go to last post
5 208
Need help getting permissions used by removed default trustee by Paul Randall
Hi, (forgot to include subject on previous post) I'm not sure what group to post this in, so please let me know of a better place. I did not post to Microsoft's WMI newsgroup because it is used so little. I'm trying to understand and optimize my new Vista computer. All I have done with it so far is boot up the preinstalled Vista Home Basic, and explored some of its features and non-features...
April 2nd 07 07:34 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
7 249
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Vista victim
So why can't I check the 'run as administrator' box on the compatability tab to automate running older software ? At least 50 % of my software fails to run even using the various compatability options. Problem reports & solutions sent a whopping 138 faults generated in just 6 days - with zero solutions. "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these...
April 2nd 07 07:22 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 168
Saving a .pdf file to folder by no spam
Hello, I have Vista Ultimate installed on a PC on which I am the only user. I paid a bill online and when I tried to save the receipt document as an Adobe PDF file to another drive, I got the message that I could not save to the folder on thast drive and that I had to contact the system administrator. The folder I had tried to save to was in my old 'My Documents' folder on a seperate...
April 2nd 07 05:57 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post
7 204
New PC wVista Home & Security Software by tboldan
I am a novice with a new computer and vista premium. I want to know, if I never had any other operating sysstem or security protection software on this computer - is windows defender and firewall along with my ICP provider security sufficent protection. Should one consider paying for another full packaged security software and install on their PC? Currently, a trial version of Mcafee is...
April 2nd 07 04:52 AM
by Sultan_Emerr via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
9 260
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH by ELIAS FERNANDO
POR QUE ME PASA ESTO CADA VES QUE QUIERO HABRIR UN FOLDER QUE TENGA VIDEOS Y ME CIERRA EL FOLDER AUTOMATICAMENTE?? ALGUIEN SABE LA SOLUCION. POR QUE SE PAGA MUCHO POR WINDOWS VISTA COMO PARA QUE SALGA CON ESTO. QUE NO NOS HAGAN GASTAR NUESTRO DINERO POR UNA COSA QUE NO NOS AYUDA EN NADA
April 2nd 07 03:30 AM
by ELIAS FERNANDO Go to last post
0 166
Unsecurity help by William Beard
I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder, when it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making Vista more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the users). I'd like very...
April 2nd 07 02:24 AM
by Rock Go to last post
9 241
Startup Programs have been blocked? by Paul H
I'm still attempting to get my Laptop set up, thus my posting my question in this "installation_setup" Newsgroup. When the pre-installed Vista Home Premium on my new Acer Laptop starts up, it says some "Startup Programs" have been blocked. The programs it displays as "Not Yet Classified" mean nothing to me. I have no qualification or knowledge that enables me to make any kind of decision...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 1st 07 11:00 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
20 435
Re-enabling Bitlocker by David N
I decrypted my hard drive after encrypting it with bitlocker, however now I can’t seem to encrypt my hard drive with Bitlocker again.
April 1st 07 09:16 PM
by David N Go to last post
8 161
why do I get the error message Destination Folder Access Denied by trillian
I am new to windows vista. And, I tried to delete a folder of music from my desktop and it tells me destination Folder Access Denied and I need permission to perform that action. It is my computer and I am the only user. How do I delete the folder from my desktop?? Thank you Amy
April 1st 07 02:23 PM
by hedgert Go to last post
8 192
UAC blocks IE add-on by Frank Berzau
I am using IE7pro to change proxy settings quickly. Unfortunately this feature of IE7pro no longer works under Vista, when IE runs in Protected Mode. How can I allow IE7pro, without generally disabling protected mode? Is there a way to manage this in a granular way? Thanks, Frank
April 1st 07 01:03 PM
by Frank Berzau Go to last post
4 312
MapPoint 2006 registry error by Lonny
I'm running Vista RC1 and MapPoint 2006 has been running flawlessly for six weeks or so until the other morning when I got an error message that says, "Your registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the location where you originally installed it." Of course, I've done that to no avail. Did some...
April 1st 07 10:14 AM
by johnc Go to last post
5 226
Decrypt files/folders by Nick Luna
I have a client that encrypted there my documents folder on their pc. Then it was upgraded to Windows Vista Business from XP Pro. Now they can't access their files. I tried to take ownership of them and decrypt them No luck. I first tried to just decrypt them but it said I need administrator access. They are a administrator on their pc. Then I tried to do the owner ship and then decrypt....
April 1st 07 10:12 AM
by Isaac Hunt Go to last post
1 135
System Restore not working by Thomas
In Vista Ultimate system restore gives an error when trying to access it."not enough storage is available to comlete this operation(0X8007000E).I have more than 35GB free in the HDD and have 2GB Ram.What could the problem be ?Can System Protection be re-installed ?Thank You , Thomas
April 1st 07 09:52 AM
by Thomas Go to last post
0 127
Windows Mail GPO by David Calzada
This policy setting does not work for me: "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Mail\Turn off Windows Mail Application" = enabled. Windows Mail still opens. Similar setting for Movie Maker works just fine.
April 1st 07 04:54 AM
by Go to last post
2 153
File share fails by Gilbert Baron
I think this might be a better spot for this Sorry for multiple, should have been cross I guess. I can share files that are on my XP computer on my Lan but the XP computer cannot see files on this VISTA computer. I have sharing turned on and the workgroup name is the same. In fact this is simply an upgraded install so all should still work. When I try to add network place on the XP machine I...
April 1st 07 12:42 AM
by Gilbert Baron Go to last post
0 153
CredUI paste feature ? by Nick Nott
Heya all, I'm running Vista which of course has RDC 6 by default and one thing annoys me with it, not being able to paste username/password when prompted for login details. I'm administering bunch of servers, some of them with very long passwords that make no sense. Sure I can type it in just one and save it for later but it's rather annoying. From what I've red, it's not RDC 6 "feature"...
March 31st 07 10:20 PM
by Nick Nott Go to last post
0 174
tray icon windows defender by Irv
I cannot get the tray icon to appear unless I go to Control panel, Security, Windows Defender the icon pops right up in the tray. I have chosen "Choose when WD appears in the tray" I selected "Always"
March 31st 07 05:14 PM
by Irv Go to last post
0 170
HD partitions - EISA by Tim
Hi, Could anyone gently explain what is this HD partition labeled EISA under VISTA ? My notebook has one HD that shows 2 partitions (C:\ and D:\) but under Administrative Tools I can see a third partition. Is it hidden for the regular system work? Regards, Tim.
March 31st 07 11:16 AM
by SIDDIK SAHAN Go to last post

From The