Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Security Center & Norton 360 by Simon Minder
Hi all, I have just upgrated to Vista from XP. I had installed Norton 360 already on XP. Unfortunately, my Vista Security Center does not recognize the Firewall and the Malware protection from Norton 360. Is there a way to rescan / reset the Security Center to update the status and display the correct values? Kind regards,
March 31st 07 02:32 AM
by joke Go to last post
1 170
Security Access Manager in Vista? by [email protected]
Comparing security issues between NT and Vista I need answers to the following questions... 1. with vista is there a Security Access Manager file in /windows/ repair/sam. Has the bug where the repair file is readable by all users been fixed or seen in vista. 2. If there is no SAM in vista what is the equivalent and has that any similar flaws?
March 30th 07 11:52 PM
by wguimb Go to last post
1 187
'Failed to fix security error' by Quoz
iv just done a clean install with vista. I now want to reinstall the drivers for my motherboard, so i insert the disc. However when i try to run the disc, there is an error message saying 'failed to fix security' then eventually the driver window opens from the disc, however there are no dirver options to install.
March 30th 07 11:10 PM
by wguimb Go to last post
2 216
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Vista victim
I'm still struggling with the UAC blocking 'old software' ( actually bought on Saturday but not yet Vista compliant). If anyone can tell me how to tick the 'run as administrator' box on the compatabily tab I would be grateful. It may prevent me from boring the kids about how to start their favourite programmes up as an administrtaor. You try explaing that to a 3 year old ! PS Compatability...
March 30th 07 10:53 PM
by JerryM \(ID\) Go to last post
1 175
Windows Defender - enable by Jeff
I have just installed a new piece of software (Corel Friends and Family) that I would like to have start automatically (by default this should happen when it is installed). Windows Defender reprost the app as being "Not yet classified" and therefore won't start it. When I open windows defender all the options for this app are greyed out until I choose "Show for all suers" then Remove and...
March 30th 07 05:31 PM
by saki Go to last post
6 238
"What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission screens)" and "...But I thought I was an administrator" by newtech
'Fix for Windows Needs your permission screen' (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=716240) in Windows Vista. -- newtech ------------------------------------------------------------------------ newtech's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8846 View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=560380
March 30th 07 06:47 AM
by newtech Go to last post
0 189
HELP with security centre PLEASE in Vista Ultimate by Inferno
I have just upgraded to vista ultimate but i am having problems with security centre.it will not pick up my nod32 antivirus when others that have this program security centre picks it up.It also will not pick up windows defender i have to put both on to not monitor.Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a fix for this please.
March 29th 07 10:18 PM
by Inferno Go to last post
0 164
Windows DefenderError message: Code 0x80240029 by Stephan
when running automatic updates for Windows Defender (WD) it comes up with the code 0x80240029. I read a few solutions and tried some of them even unistalled my anti virus rund WD updates but nothing works. I'd appreciate if anyone has a solution. I have a laptop with MS vista home premium...Thnx
March 29th 07 05:56 PM
by Hedy Keller Go to last post
1 170
Software Restriction Policy (SRS) problems by David Calzada
Sorry for my bad english. I think I have found a serious bug in software restriction policies. Can someone test this issue?: If you have two volumes or partitions, like C:\ and E:\, and if you setup SRS with default settings and you DO NOT ALLOW E:\ path in SRS you cannot open ..txt files (as an example) or whatever.
March 29th 07 05:47 PM
by David Calzada Go to last post
4 203
Vista Event Notification service fails, logs user off immediately by Keith Patrick
This has only happened once (this morning), so I am not completely freaking out yet, but given that I just got admin access back on my Vista machine (see my UAC post for details), any kind of security issues like this get me paranoid. Basically, I restarted my machine this morning, and when I logged back in, I got an error message that the Event Notification service failed to start, and then...
March 29th 07 03:49 PM
by Keith Patrick Go to last post
0 179
KMS for W2K3 EN-US x86 by solar
Has anyone had any luck installing the above on Windows 2003 Server Standard? We have tried four different servers now with variations on Windows updates. All have SP1, two have SP2. The installation fails on all the servers with the error: KMS-W2K3 Setup Error An error in updating your system has occured. Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.
March 29th 07 02:38 PM
by solar Go to last post
0 262
SendKeys throws "Hook cannot be created" security exception in Vista Beta 2 by Dan Dautrich
I'm using VB 2005 and .NET 2.0 under Vista build 5472 and get a "Hook cannot be created." security exception whenever I try to call the Send or SendWait methods of SendKeys, but running the exact same code under Windows XP SP2 works without any problems. Does anyone have a workaround or solution to this problem? Thanks, Dan
March 28th 07 08:47 PM
by KILLSWITCH Go to last post
1 436
pfochk.exe by oisinirish
what is pfochk.exe and why is it trying to run in my start up routine. I currently have it blocked. Do I need it?
March 28th 07 08:43 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
1 278
What does a UAC admin prompt with no accounts listed mean? by Keith Patrick
I've been stuck on this issue all weekend, have calls into MS tech support, etc, because basically I'm locked out of any admin tasks. The problem I'm having is that the UAC prompt that says I need to enter an admin password to continue doesn't actually list any accounts. This happened after I reverted my regular account from admin to standard (there still is a built-in Administrator account...
March 28th 07 04:18 PM
by Keith Patrick Go to last post
9 177
UAC blocks startup program by Galex62
I have detected a very strange thing in (probably) UAC. I have an application called AudaUpdate.exe. This app has a "run" entry in the registry. When Vista Business is started the app is blocked and and requesting permission to run. Now, the strange thing is, when I rename the app to a name not containing Update, the app is starting up without any problem, no permission to run is...
March 28th 07 04:02 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 147
Windows VISTA defender not updating error:code 0x80.240029 by Denntee
GDay All,Ive just come off the phone with a Microsoft Tech Guy (Alex in OZ) and he has helped me over 2 days to finally fix the thing Its now working as it orinally did,So Guys give MS Tech department a ring as its now fixed (as far as my set-up is concerned) Ive seen all the quieres on this problem and they were same as my situation So there you go!!! Bye all denntee
March 28th 07 01:29 PM
by G unit Go to last post
2 154
installing programs by djr1100
I can't get any of the programs I used with windowsXP to install and work on Vista. This is really dissapointing! For some reason non of the executables are allowed to be installed in the "programs" folder. Is there something I need to do so my software will install?
March 28th 07 10:46 AM
by Bru Go to last post
6 195
Security Program Disables Web Game At Load by CLA
I play at POGO.COM. I don't have any problem with load to site or the homepage load. My problem is when I enter game room and click on PLAY the window game loader does fine until the last minute it quickly shuts off and disaperars and error on site page says===" IMAGE GAME LOAD ERROR" I even refreshed
March 28th 07 06:56 AM
by CLA Go to last post
0 149
Using Encryption on External Drive with Vista and 2003 by bazad
I have an external drive on which I keep files. If I encrypt files at home using Vista machine, backup certificate, import it on Windows 2003 Server machine and try to read files from Windows 2003 machine I can't do that. The reverse process works just fine. In other words files encrypted on Windows 2003 machine, its certificate is imported into Vista machine and vista can read those...
March 28th 07 03:55 AM
by bazad Go to last post
8 193
Failed to migrate Virus Defs. error message. by Tom
I downloaded Norton Anti Virus. The LiveUpdates were successfuly installed. When I launch the Norton Status, this is what shows at the top of the interface; "Norton Anti Virus needs to be configured". When I click on the "fix now", I get another error message saying; "Failed to migrate Virus Defs." It asks me to "reboot" to "launch the product" but I still get all of the mentioned errors all...
March 28th 07 03:17 AM
by dckumpf Go to last post

From The