Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Why Can't I encrypt Folders by Ribeye
Hi, When I go to the security check tab of a folder or file I want to encrypt it is greyed out. Home Premium doesn't come with built in encryption? Thanks in advance. Eric
March 28th 07 02:44 AM
by Carey Frisch [MVP] Go to last post
1 239
Wireless Adapter Group Policy by MULTISY
Does a group Policy exist to allow users to disable Wireless Network adapters without the UAC logon popup. It is preferred that network be disabled when not in use while in the wild. Ideas??? Thanks in advance.
March 28th 07 02:01 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 223
Security Center failed by David
i get this strange error message when i want to acces Security Center from Control panel: so thers a popup named: Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avalible. Now i got 2 choiceses: Debug or Close program.
March 28th 07 02:00 AM
by r9site Go to last post
8 284
NIS 2007 (vista compatible version) always shown out of date? by nicholas hall
I have just installed NIS (vista compatible version) and all went well. It installed fine and it runs fine. It updates fine... .... But I am having a small problem. If I go to the security centre in control panels it ALWAYS shows it as "might be out of date"? I know that NIS 2007 is up to date because I ran live updates. I wondered what could be causing this. I know there is a LOT of Symantec...
March 28th 07 01:55 AM
by Ribeye Go to last post
3 199
Why Can't I encrypt Folders by Pat Hoffer [MSFT]
EFS is not fully supported on Home Premium. Full support is provided only in Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate. To see a description of the EFS functionality that is provided in Home Premium, open "Help and Support" on your system and search for "What is Encrypting File System (EFS)?" The documentation provides a good listing of what to expect. Thanks. Pat -- This posting is...
March 28th 07 01:11 AM
by Pat Hoffer [MSFT] Go to last post
0 183
Vista Security Guide by Dan Metzler
Has anyone looked at the GPOs created by the Vista Security Guide and found that some settings appear not to have admx template files associated with them? When I view the VSG EC Desktop, Laptop, and Users policies in GPMC on a Vista computer, I see an "Extra Registry Settings" category under Administrative templates. If I expand this category, I see a number of registry settings in the...
March 28th 07 01:00 AM
by Greg Go to last post
6 227
Norton Internet Security and OneCare by JamesL
I uninstalled NIS (with Symanec website uninstall tool) to try OneCare. I keep getting the window to update Malware, etc... When I check to see what security programs I have running, Norton still shows. How do I completely get rid of it?
March 28th 07 12:55 AM
by JamesL Go to last post
0 158
Windows Mail blocks email as phishing email by [email protected]
Hello, We send out email campaigns to our customers that request email from us notifying them specials/sales/... We are a ligitimate company and these emails are only sent to customers that request these emails. A customer has a Vista system and is using Microsoft Mail to read is emails messages. He reports that email he gets from us is blocked by the mail reader and he receives the following...
March 28th 07 12:54 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
2 155
Why Can't I encrypt Folders by Ribeye
OK, thanks Pat, that's what I figured. PGP here I come....Eric Over course after they release A V compatible proggie. "Pat Hoffer " wrote: EFS is not fully supported on Home Premium. Full support is provided only in Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate. To see a description of the EFS functionality that is provided in Home Premium, open "Help and Support" on your system and...
March 28th 07 12:52 AM
by Ribeye Go to last post
0 135
IE dropping connectivity under Vista by justphilip2003
Vista Home Premium Internet Explorer Problems I frequently loose connectivity to the internet while reviewing a long BB posting or inactive for long periods. The only way to get reconnected is to restart my new HP 7760 PC. Meanwhile my wife is Happily Surfing the internet in the kitchen on her new iMac 20. We are both on the same LAN, behind the same router that is connected to the high...
March 28th 07 12:50 AM
by justphilip2003 Go to last post
0 131
cannot ping myself? by MLi
I have installed Vista in my network with OneCare. The windows firewall is disabled, the ICMPv4 inbound is enabled in OneCare Firewall, however I still cannot ping myself by IP address. The strange thing is sometimes I didn't change anything and it can ping itself, it's also pingable by other nodes in the same network, but when I really want to access it from other workstations, it cannot...
March 28th 07 12:44 AM
by MLi Go to last post
0 142
Re-enabling Bitlocker by Jesper
If you have not changed your partitioning scheme since you unencrypted the drive it is probalby just a matter of no contiguous disk space. I ran into the same thing. To solve it I defragmented the drive (righ-click the drive, select properties, click tools) and deleted a few files I did not need any more. BitLocker hogs a lot of disk space when it first encrypts, and it does not seem very...
March 28th 07 12:21 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
0 153
IPSec: subnet based filtering not working (???) by aviegas
I'm trying to create an IPSec VPN tunnel to connect to a particular subnet. the IPSec fileter is defined as a specific subnet (like 192.168.1.0/24). If the IPSec filter is defined for the subnet, the IPSec driver simply ignores it and not attempt is performed to create the tunnel. On the other hand, if I just set the filter to one specific address on that subnet (like 192.168.1.123/32) it...
March 28th 07 12:07 AM
by aviegas Go to last post
0 170
defender by Robert Johnson
Hi anyone know why defender icon is not on my notification area although it says its enabled in the security settings Thanks
March 28th 07 12:02 AM
by aznomad Go to last post
2 218
Windows Defender & Outlook 2007 by Jeff
I have added Outlook 2007 to my startup menu so that it opens automatically when Windows starts - but I am often reminded by Windows Defender that a change has occurred and it lists "Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.lnk" I always choose permit, but a few days later it is back again. Have I done something wrong or is this just the "way it is"? Jeff
March 27th 07 11:54 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
0 268
Encrypting File System Error Message by bazad
I used "Manage your file encryption certificates" option and got the following error message at the end of the wizard when I tried to use cert. Title: Encrypting File System Message: The EFS re-key wizard encountered a fatal error: Provider could not perform the action since the context was acquired as silent.
March 27th 07 11:53 PM
by Pat Hoffer [MSFT] Go to last post
1 233
live onecare turns windows defender off? by hugo
Hi, I noticed that live onecare turns windows defender off. Is this normal? thanks hugo
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 27th 07 11:08 PM
by Orlando Go to last post
11 435
Security center by ivan
Why does SystemSuite 7 Vista upgrade virus and malware detection is not recognized, While it by Networkmagic?
March 27th 07 11:00 PM
by ivan Go to last post
0 213
Problems installing our software on Windows Vista by Joseph Geretz
Our product is installed via an MSI which has been operating just fine under Windows XP for the past few years. We just started testing on Windows Vista and we are encountering an installation problem. The problem occurs when attempting to register an ActiveX EXE during the installation. Unlike DLL's and OCX's which are registered via RegSrv32.exe, an ActiveX EXE is registered by runing the...
March 27th 07 09:21 PM
by Mike Matheny Go to last post
6 208
Destination Folder Access Denied by Sumit Ghai
I want to rename one of the folders I created in Computer Local Disk (C:), but when I go to rename it and press enter, I get a message saying "Destination Folder Access Denied...you need permission to perfom this action". I'm the administrator on the computer, seeing how it is my laptop. This doesn't happen for all the folders I have created though. Any way to play around with the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 27th 07 02:00 PM
by Antoine Leca Go to last post

From The