Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Request UAC elevation at runtime by John Daintree
Hello all, I have an application that may, depending on user actions, require elevation. Is it possible, at runtime, from within the program, to request elevation? So the sequence would be: 1) Start program (not elevated)
September 24th 09 12:24 PM
by John Daintree Go to last post
0 297
VIRUS' Consent UI Errors by adamp69
hey, i'm not really good with computers, but i'll try and describe this as best i can. last night avg popped started detecting virus'. i did a scan and tried to heal, remove, quarauntine or lock in the vault the infected files. nothing would work. as soon as i tried to delete the files, vista's consent ui pops up and says it has stoped working and needs to close. the virus seems to be...
September 23rd 09 05:56 PM
by Rojo Habe[_3_] Go to last post
4 307
VIRUS' Consent UI Errors by adamp69
hey, i'm not really good with computers, but i'll try and describe this as best i can. last night avg popped started detecting virus'. i did a scan and tried to heal, remove, quarauntine or lock in the vault the infected files. nothing would work. as soon as i tried to delete the files, vista's consent ui pops up and says it has stoped working and needs to close. the virus seems to be...
September 23rd 09 01:23 AM
by adamp69 Go to last post
0 226
Password Length by GauerS
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Microsoft limits password legth to 14 characters? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
September 22nd 09 04:43 AM
by GauerS Go to last post
0 205
linux usb drive by ted medin
I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!
September 21st 09 11:13 PM
by ted medin Go to last post
0 208
Vista Home Premium user account access to thumbdrives & printers by bigteks
Hi, I have two highschool daughters with laptops they use at school running Vista Home Premium. I have them running on user accounts and I don't want them to have the admin password because if they know what it is they will simply start typing it in all the time, which defeats the whole purpose of running as a user account. There are only two things they need to do that Vista Home Premium...
September 21st 09 05:34 PM
by Zaphod Beeblebrox Go to last post
8 270
KB890830 by AliceZ
I downloaded the Criticdal Updates to my Vista for KB890830 and when I looked in the log I saw a new sentence, which was: "WARNING: Security policy doesn't allow for all actions MSRT may require." What does this mean exactly? Is there something wrong with my computer? Please advise and thank you. Alice ----------
September 21st 09 05:32 PM
by rpwmjb Go to last post
6 320
Vista Home Premium user account access to thumbdrives & printers by bigteks
Hi, I have two highschool daughters with laptops they use at school running Vista Home Premium. I have them running on user accounts and I don't want them to have the admin password because if they know what it is they will simply start typing it in all the time, which defeats the whole purpose of running as a user account. There are only two things they need to do that Vista Home Premium...
September 21st 09 01:17 PM
by bigteks Go to last post
0 186
Service Center no where to be found under "Services" by Mae Calamae
I've similar problem of 'Security Center service can't be started' Error code: 0x80070424 on my Vista Ultimate. Installed AVG, Avast & Tuneup 2009 antivirus scan, repair & defrag .... Try to go to Service Center under Services, "Service Center" could not be found. Pls help. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data...
September 21st 09 11:45 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 298
Vista WiFi connection in Germany by Neil Jones[_3_]
Hi, I have a Vista Ultimate laptop which I used for work in the US. Now I live in Germany. During my initial stay at the hotels, I used the hotel wireless connection and Vista connected to the Internet fine. Now I live in an apartment and got the DSL service from T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) and here is the problem. The DSL phone works fine. My Vista will not connect to the DSL...
September 21st 09 10:26 AM
by From Northern Germany Go to last post
5 295
Service Center no where to be found under "Services" by Mae Calamae
I've similar problem of 'Security Center service can't be started' Error code: 0x80070424 on my Vista Ultimate. Installed AVG, Avast & Tuneup 2009 antivirus scan, repair & defrag .... Try to go to Service Center under Services, "Service Center" could not be found. Pls help. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data...
September 21st 09 06:16 AM
by Mae Calamae Go to last post
0 207
Trojan.Dropper by Teana Thirkill
I aquired Trojan.Dropper on my computer. It runs Vista with a 64 processor. My McAfee tries to delete it but every time I restart my computer its there again. I'm not terribly computer savy so I need help. How do I get this off my computer? Please Help! EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 20th 09 08:59 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
12 469
Windows Defender Failed to Initialize by Nevet
Running Vista Home Premium. When starting the OS, I get an error message from Windows Defender: "Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused Windows Defender service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support on how to start the service manually." Attempting to manually start the service brought up another error:
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 20th 09 01:26 AM
by brentski Go to last post
15 540
Trojan.Dropper by Teana Thirkill
I aquired Trojan.Dropper on my computer. It runs Vista with a 64 processor. My McAfee tries to delete it but every time I restart my computer its there again. I'm not terribly computer savy so I need help. How do I get this off my computer? Please Help! EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data...
September 20th 09 12:26 AM
by Teana Thirkill Go to last post
0 221
Viability of power-line intrusions by FYIGMO
If I connect my Vista laptop to a power outlet in public, such as an airport terminal, library, or coffee shop, how viable is the threat from someone gaining access to my computer via a power-line network? If the threat is viable today, what is the best method of stopping it? I know many people will say this is too unlikely and that other security threats are of much more concern to the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 18th 09 05:09 PM
by KristleBawl Go to last post
47 1,728
Encrypt Data on a Vista Home Premium x64 PC by aledgd
Hi All, I am planning to buy an upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64 for my existing PC. My question is: Will I be able to simply get Windows to encrypt the existing HDD retrospectively, after just upgrading or will I have to do a clean install? Thanks Guys!
September 18th 09 02:30 PM
by aledgd Go to last post
0 203
Encrypt Data on a Vista Home Premium x64 PC by aledgd
Hi All, I am planning to buy an upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64 for my existing PC. My question is: Will I be able to simply get Windows to encrypt the existing HDD retrospectively, after just upgrading or will I have to do a clean install? Thanks Guys!
September 18th 09 02:30 PM
by aledgd Go to last post
0 253
how to disable public folder by SMMIA
Hi, I need to know how to proceed to be able to disable my public folder from being shared with my guest account, don't want to turn off guest account, I tried creating a user account to limit access by using parental controls but my computer started giving me low memory messages, once i removed the account messages stopped. I really need to block all my folders from being accessed by anyone...
September 18th 09 11:10 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
4 277
how to disable public folder by SMMIA
Hi, I need to know how to proceed to be able to disable my public folder from being shared with my guest account, don't want to turn off guest account, I tried creating a user account to limit access by using parental controls but my computer started giving me low memory messages, once i removed the account messages stopped. I really need to block all my folders from being accessed by anyone...
September 18th 09 06:03 AM
by SMMIA Go to last post
0 225
Access HDD when connected to another PC? by Calab
I've got a friends laptop to repair. I've determined that at least the boot files are damaged. I've connected the hard drive to my own PC in an attempt to recover the files from the drive. Unfortunately, my PC says that access is denied when I try to browse the drive. In the disk manager I can see the drive. I've gone onto the drive and updated the permissions on all the files to allow full...
September 17th 09 12:23 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post

From The