Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Backing up Bitlocker Encrypted Drive Equals Not Encrypted by markbyrn
When attempting to use the backup utility on the Bitlocker protected drive, the following informative notification is received: "You have chosen to backup disk C: which is encrypted. The backup location will not be encrypted. Make sure the backup is kept in a physically secure location." One doesn't need to be a security guru to realize the inherent weakness in making non-encrypted backups of...
March 19th 07 02:33 AM
by Go to last post
4 178
Destination Folder Access Denied by bj33790
I have a new PC with Vista Utimate, I want to copy occasional files from my old PC running XP and on a home network, but without using 'Easy Transfer'. I am an Administrator on both PCs and 'Own' the folder on the Vista PC (therefore with full rights) . When I try to drag and drop from the XP PC (which I can see and browse via the network) to the new Vista PC I get the error 'Destination...
March 19th 07 12:39 AM
by bj33790 Go to last post
0 147
More Security With Windows Dial-Up Internet Connection Than With Broadband? by D. Spencer Hines
Is there more inherent possible security in a Dial-Up Internet Connection than with Broadband, or not? Why? Thanks. DSH
March 18th 07 05:33 PM
by D. Spencer Hines Go to last post
6 176
Microsoft senior manager: OneCare should not have been rolled out by MICHAEL
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39286351,00.htm Microsoft has said that its OneCare security suite has "a problem" with the underlying antivirus code, and admitted that security is just "a little part of Microsoft". Speaking to ZDNet UK exclusively at the CeBIT show in Hanover, a senior manager for the software giant said that its consumer security product is far from perfect...
March 18th 07 04:17 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
7 235
Constant Prompting? UAC? by Jack Splat =\(8\)
I just finished building a new system and I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on it. While overall I am ok with the new Windows I am getting tired of the constant prompting whenever I do something as simply as move, delete or copy a short cut in the start menu programs (to get it all cleaned up.). Having to click on 4 different dialog boxes to give Windows permission to create a new start...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 18th 07 05:49 AM
by Jack Splat =\(8\) Go to last post
11 315
c5873e557f2e3f351ea93cf62fa4 by don lockman
what is this script looking thing logging into my computer and disabling stuff?
March 18th 07 01:16 AM
by Malke Go to last post
1 178
Vista Defeender Error Code 0x80240029 by Carl Robbie
I get the error code in "Subject" when I try to update my Defender file. I realize this means it is an illegal copy. My VISTA is band new, shipped by DELL, and registered. I notice there is a newer version of Defender than the one I have (from 7/06). How do I download and replace? Are there other options? I noticed all of your other answers assume that the users copy is illegal. Would...
March 17th 07 11:01 PM
by ar21958 Go to last post
3 186
Does Vista Run Better With A Particular Security Program? by D. Spencer Hines
Does Vista Run Better With A Particular Security Program? Symantec, McAfee, Sophos, F-Prot, Kaspersky -- or some other program... Preferably a suite of programs -- not just Anti-Virus Protection. Which one runs best, fastest and most smoothly on Vista? DSH
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 17th 07 10:36 PM
by DWong Go to last post
22 471
Setting permissions by Larry E
I'm the administrator on my home computer. I have some files that I need to delete but I keep getting the Access Denied and that I don't have permission to access the files. How do I set up permission for all the folders and sub folders on my computer? I don't want to have to go in to each file and set permissions individually, I just want to do it once and never have to worry about it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 07 09:18 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
13 272
New AV program is not shown in Security center. by Big Al J
I just got a new machine with ultimate installed. I deleted the Mcaffee AV program (included with machine) and installed AVAST! Mcaffeei s no longer on the HD or running any processes, but Security center still thinks that it is "ON." Security Center does acknowledge that AVAST is installed and running. I have done several reboots but this is still happening. I'm wondering why Security...
March 17th 07 02:02 PM
by Malke Go to last post
6 199
UAC and Outlook 2003 by ischneid
I just did an Upgrade on my Dell Laptop from Windows XP Professional SP2 to Vista. When I turned on User Access Control - I can't access Outlook 2003. I get a message to contact my system administrator - which is me, because it's a standalone laptop. When I turn off UAC it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks
March 17th 07 03:49 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 152
Can I run IE6 on Vista? by AlchemiA
Hello MVP's and other IT Knowledge purveyors, My client requested 3 new PC's with Vista and Office 2007. I complied and set them up on the SBS 2003 Domain. (There was a problem saving Office 2007 documents to the SBS Shares but that is another question) Our issue is that a 3rd party Application can only be executed in an IE6 environment! Tsk tsk with the 3rd Part App's ...
3 308
Vista Virtual Store by Yanou
When using file or registry API, is there any way to know if the file or registry operation will be done or has been done in the Virtual Store instead of its original location ? For example, my application is using file locations given by users. Some of them maybe use "Program Files" subdirectories or other protected directories. It will probaly work fine with virtualization but how can I at...
March 17th 07 12:18 AM
by Yanou Go to last post
0 158
Remote Desktop Disabled? by MULTISY
Vista will not allow a connection to Remote Desktop when a Public NIC is enabled; it will work if Public NIC is disabled on the LAN Only NIC. The issue is when a user docks their laptop, they may forget to disable their wireless NIC, so although they are on the LAN; Remote Desktop is disabled because the wireless connection is enabled. Can Remote Desktop be enabled per route (LAN sub-net...
March 16th 07 01:57 PM
by MULTISY Go to last post
0 167
Bitlocker Boot Screen configuration by Christian Schindler
Is it possible to customize the screen that appears when bitlocker is unable to load the key from a USB device?(e.g. "Insert...") Or is this part of WINLOAD.EXE? Thanks Christian Schindler
March 16th 07 01:04 PM
by Antoine Leca Go to last post
3 179
Vista Firewall issue with 2 active Networks by looplocal
I have 2 NICS: Network 1) accesses the LAN and the internet thru a gateway. Network 2) accesses a private WAN thru a layer 5 switch For Vista Firewall: Network #1 has been setup as a Private Network Profile Network #2 has also been setup as a Private Network Profile. However, Network #2 will revert back to a Public Profile on every reboot.
March 16th 07 12:51 PM
by looplocal Go to last post
0 119
Question about %APPDATA% folder by Jayme Pechan
I don't know if it was the right thing to do but in Windows XP, I would store application settings in the folder contained in the %APPDATA% environment variable. This was a hidden folder for the user. For some reason under Vista, the user does not have rights to read and possibly write to this folder, although it is still there. There is a new AppData folder that the user does have rights...
March 16th 07 07:24 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 131
Configuring Vista firewall by Mike
Is it possible for the average Vista user (whatever that is) to turn on the second half of the Vista firewall ? I am referring to the outbound filtering portion of the firewall. It is my understanding that it is very difficult to (properly) set it up. I have been reading that the Vista firewall is very full featured, but that it has so many options, that it is beyond anything but the most...
March 16th 07 01:53 AM
by Iron Feliks Go to last post
2 178
"Windows Live OneCare has changed your firewall protection level" by Gary VanderMolen
Is anyone else getting numerous notifications like this? It always happens when I resume my laptop from sleep. I get two such warnings spaced about one minute apart. The first one says the firewall will be restricted because the computer is connected to an unsecure network, and the next one saying the firewall is on 'automatic' because the network is no longer unsecure. It happens with Vista...
March 16th 07 01:13 AM
by Mr. Freeze Go to last post
6 161
Vista Activation by Ben
Hello all, 3rd year student from UWE needing your views... Not so much a question, more of a request for a few comments about a particular area. I would like other Vista users to express their views on the piracy of the new operating system. I am writing a dissertation on Microsoft's efforts at reducing piracy. Cracks seem to already be appearing all over the internet for Vista, some...
March 15th 07 10:52 PM
by Ben Go to last post

From The