Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista password not being accepted by Mark Farrow
Hello and help please. I have just added a password to my accout as i was going to set up user accounts for the kids to use the pc as well. typed password in, then confirmed it (yes I am 100% sure of the password) but when i rebooted the pc and entered the password it comes up as password incorrect - i have a linux boot disc for recovering passwords from pc's (only every used on windows xp,...
September 12th 09 11:03 PM
by Mark Farrow Go to last post
0 168
Firewall settings? by G Mail Account
How effective is the Vista Firewall to say, XP?
September 12th 09 06:10 AM
by G Mail Account Go to last post
4 258
Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location by sunorain
On my PC's HDD I have some files encrypted. Used "folder encryption" that is in one of folder properties selected "Encrypt data..." Folder is shown in green in explorer respectively. In the beginning, when I copied any files from this folder to another location (e.g. USB HDD) files became automatically decrypted, i.e. I could read those files from USB HDD on any other PC. But now something...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 11th 09 07:00 PM
by mike0526 Go to last post
11 380
dat keeps closing ie8 by computerdude5000
my computer got hit with a bunch of viruses (curse google) one started to make ie8 close cause of dep most of them got blocked by norten360 thank the lord how can i make ie8 fixed and get the outhers of my hard drive here is the list of viruses on my computer backdoor.tidserv packed.generic.233 backdoor.tidserv!inf privacycenter securityrisk.downldr again securityrisk.downldr
September 11th 09 01:09 AM
by computerdude5000 Go to last post
0 141
Firewall settings? by G Mail Account
How effective is the Vista Firewall to say, XP?
September 10th 09 09:58 PM
by G Mail Account Go to last post
0 160
I.E.8/Mcafee blocking valid certs by Kales
hello everyone could you plse help- I recently started using explorer 8 and more or less at the same time my ISP provider in the UK switched its online protection to McAfee from Norton. For some reason now Explorer has started blocking 80 per cent of all sites even when the certificate is valid. It even blocks access to BT Yahoo! until i authorise download. Is this a problem of the new net...
September 10th 09 08:08 PM
by Kales Go to last post
0 183
I.E.8/Mcafee blocking valid certs by Kales
hello everyone could you plse help- I recently started using explorer 8 and more or less at the same time my ISP provider in the UK switched its online protection to McAfee from Norton. For some reason now Explorer has started blocking 80 per cent of all sites even when the certificate is valid. It even blocks access to BT Yahoo! until i authorise download. Is this a problem of the new net...
September 10th 09 08:08 PM
by Kales Go to last post
0 117
reenable uac for zip by vistavistav
i opened a zip file and the command prompt asked me if i grant administrator rights. i agreed and i checked the box " do not ask me again next time". However my decission was wrong, I want to be asked again next time. How do I correct? I have the worst Vista (I think it s Vista basic home), so I don t have gpedit.msc nor do I have secpol.msc. Thanks in advance:D
September 10th 09 02:05 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
6 201
password expires too quickly by gil
Hello All, How can one change the password expiration time to a longer duration? for Vista TIA Gil
September 7th 09 05:11 PM
by Brink Go to last post
8 216
reenable uac for zip by vistavistav
i opened a zip file and the command prompt asked me if i grant administrator rights. i agreed and i checked the box " do not ask me again next time". However my decission was wrong, I want to be asked again next time. How do I correct? I have the worst Vista (I think it s Vista basic home), so I don t have gpedit.msc nor do I have secpol.msc. Thanks in advance:D
September 7th 09 10:10 AM
by vistavistav Go to last post
0 152
Typing sound in laptop by Phil Rhodes
I was reading the online news this morning when I got a popup that said, "Windows Update Store Manager has stopped working" (or something simular) and when I closed the window, I heard a typing sound. I have heard this sound (like someone is typing on my laptop when no one is) before, but I couldn't connect it to anything. Any ideas: HP G60 Notebook PC ST9320320AS ATA Device Slimtype DVD A...
September 6th 09 11:34 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 144
Typing sound in laptop by Phil Rhodes
I was reading the online news this morning when I got a popup that said, "Windows Update Store Manager has stopped working" (or something simular) and when I closed the window, I heard a typing sound. I have heard this sound (like someone is typing on my laptop when no one is) before, but I couldn't connect it to anything. Any ideas: HP G60 Notebook PC ST9320320AS ATA Device Slimtype DVD A...
September 6th 09 04:28 PM
by Phil Rhodes Go to last post
0 118
please help about BitLocker by Burak Ogutken
hello sorry for bad english but i need some help i encrypted my usb disk with Bitlocker and when i did this process he save one file recovery file on my normal hard drive yesterday i forgat to make backup that file and i made format on my computer and now i cannot reach my usb disk :( he asking me recovery key and i remember that key in recovery file :( please help me im so upset about this...
September 6th 09 12:58 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
4 198
password expires too quickly by gil
Hello All, How can one change the password expiration time to a longer duration? for Vista TIA Gil
September 5th 09 06:09 PM
by gil Go to last post
0 204
please help about BitLocker by Burak Ogutken
hello sorry for bad english but i need some help i encrypted my usb disk with Bitlocker and when i did this process he save one file recovery file on my normal hard drive yesterday i forgat to make backup that file and i made format on my computer and now i cannot reach my usb disk :( he asking me recovery key and i remember that key in recovery file :( please help me im so upset about this...
September 5th 09 11:46 AM
by Burak Ogutken Go to last post
0 138
BuiltIn Administrator Account by Pat Garard
G'Day All, In Windows XP one could choose not to display 'Administrator' on the Welcome Screen. One then used CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually enter that user's name when needed. Can this be done in Vista/Win 7 - i.e. with the 'Administrator' a/c enabled, can it NOT be displayed? -- Regards,
September 5th 09 09:43 AM
by Pat Garard Go to last post
0 153
BuiltIn Administrator Account by Pat Garard
G'Day All, In Windows XP one could choose not to display 'Administrator' on the Welcome Screen. One then used CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually enter that user's name when needed. Can this be done in Vista/Win 7 - i.e. with the 'Administrator' a/c enabled, can it NOT be displayed? -- Regards,
September 5th 09 09:43 AM
by Pat Garard Go to last post
0 104
formidable malware -- PC_AntiSpyware2010 by NetLink_Blue
Yesterday I managed to infect my Vista Ultimate with a very virulent ( new?) strain of PC_AntiSpyware2010. The battle for control of my computer lasted 5 hours last evening, and a few more hours this morning. I finally threw in the towel today, and re-imaged my Vista partition with a backup (a bit old - but oh well). Thank goodness Acronis 10 came thru for me. The pucker factor was pretty...
September 4th 09 07:55 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
8 215
DEP Turning off for a particular program by Shashi
Greetings and Best wishes, This is my first post in this forum. I use Vista Home premium. my DEP setting is Turn on for all programs except those I select. My querry is-Whenever I go to the folder of a program in "Program Files" folder, I notice that it has numerous folders, and each of these folders have numerous .exe files. Moreover, it is not possible to "Batch Select" all the .exe files in a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 3rd 09 08:47 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
10 339
Opening word document from Internet Explorer 8 - UAC by Scott Trick
If I click a button on a website that downloads and opens a word document, the word document flashes and does not open. I found that if I turn off UAC this does not happen. My preference would be to change a setting that will fix this and leave UAC on. Please help!
September 3rd 09 02:29 PM
by Scott Trick Go to last post

From The