Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Does Vista need extra software for security? by Stan Kay
Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and have used it without problems for a few years. Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 10th 07 06:07 AM
by FireWall2 Go to last post
46 846
remote access Vista through RDC? by Polaris
Hi Experts: I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same subnet and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the Vista Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related services. What am I missing? Thanks in Advance! Polaris
January 10th 07 02:05 AM
by Nick Savoiu Go to last post
9 332
Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts by Doug Walch
I'm interested to know if there is a Best Practices White Paper with respect to Vista Logon Scripts from Active Directory, addressing issues with UAC, mapping drives, registry keys etc. If not, there should be! TIA
January 9th 07 04:13 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
6 541
BIZZARE! by Confused
I have Windows Vista Business edition. I am attempting to setup putty for ssh access to computers at work. All other non-Vista computers on my network can use it without issue. I have the same issue when the Vista machine is connected directly to the internet so I have eliminated the router. Under Vista I can ssh to some computers (3 out of 8). I set up a simple web page on the machines I...
January 8th 07 10:18 PM
by Confused Go to last post
2 346
VISTA in a 2003 Domain by GAZ
I have added my "pilot" VISTA system to a 2003 domain and most everything seems to be working well. How can I deligate through group policy UAC admin permissions so that I can allow a non Domain admin account UAC control over VISTA desktops or How can I get VISTA to recognize the local admin account for UAC purposes? Thanks Gary Kummer
January 8th 07 09:36 PM
by Gerry Hickman Go to last post
4 188
BackUps by Francisco
I have tested the new backup interface of Vista. I could not find the way to back up selected files and/or folders. In the full PC backup it remained hung up for so long that I had to turn it off. The next times it prompts me to insert the disk 1 to continue with the back up so it becomes a loop. Is there a way to select ONLY the folders and files that you want to backup
January 8th 07 08:07 PM
by Diamontina Cocktail Go to last post
3 218
UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives. by Smithduluth
My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal in every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.
January 8th 07 01:42 PM
by David A. Lessnau Go to last post
6 160
Start Process as administrator by Pascal Berger
Is there a way (by API calls or by using a tool) to start a process from a standard user account that has administrator privileges *without* showing any UI under vista? I need something like the runas.exe but with the ability to supply also the password of a certain user. Thanks in advance Pascal
January 8th 07 07:58 AM
by Pascal Berger Go to last post
3 154
Unable to delete Vista RC2 installation on another hard drive by A L
Hello- I just upgraded to RTM on my main drive. I'd like to delete the folders for a Vista RC2 installation that's on another drive. I've (temporarily) turned off UAC, given ownership of the folder to the Administrators group (which my account is a member of) and given the Admin group Full Control. I still get a "You need permission to perform this action" dialog when I attempt to...
January 8th 07 03:40 AM
by A L Go to last post
2 169
How to remove "Open File - Security Warning" window? by Echevil
January 7th 07 06:36 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 155
IE7 protected mode by akita
IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet | Protected Mode Off”, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway by default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security. Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or the Tools | Security checked settings? Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser?? Is there another way...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 4th 07 09:31 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
14 403
UAC and access to HKCR (Registry) by Michael Schwarz
Hi, I have following problem: A simple file copy and COM registration tool displays a dialog with "An unidentified program wants access to your computer". I know that there are restricted user rights for administrators, too, but is there any way to get rid of this messages (without having to disable UAC)? I'm searching for something like using a certificate for this application and put the...
January 4th 07 09:21 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
4 192
Where the heck is the Local Security Policy? by Jerry West
I can't find the Local Security Policy in the usual place. I've searched all around without success. Can someone tell me where it is found? Thanks! JW
January 4th 07 06:55 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 196
Firewall with adv security by voidcoder
Could someone please tell me how to configure the outbound rule to apply for a "Service Only", not for "App Only", "App and Service" etc. The help says that it is possible but I can't find a way to do so, it looks like a rule wizard GUI bug. How do I set up an outbound rule for, say, "Windows Update" service? thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 4th 07 03:58 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
22 429
Windows Vista and TPM Services by PA Bear
Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security newsgroup via crosspost. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User) Matty wrote: Hi there all, I am working on a document on Windows Vista TPM Services, and I have several questions I'm hoping someone can answer as well as several thoughts I'd like some feedback on. Feel free to address any
January 3rd 07 05:25 PM
by Dan Go to last post
8 214
Removing bitlocker partition by Tony Linguini
Is there a way to remove the bitlocker partition after installing Vista? Can I use the method from Vista Clues but in reverse? What are the downfalls? Thanks in advance. Tony
January 1st 07 05:14 PM
by Tony Linguini Go to last post
3 143
Win32_Tpm class by Dan
I am trying to do some testing with WMI scripting of the TPM. There are a few resources, but none with concrete code samples, and I am having a problem with the scripts I've tried using the Win32_Tpm class. My instances of the Win32_Tpm class are always null. Finally I broke down and simply tried to find the class, and I cannot even do that. I used the following...
January 1st 07 03:43 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 185
bug in Windows Vista RTM - not able to do domain run as by Todd Hudson
I have the Windows 2003 Adminpak.msi installed on Windows Vista Ultimate RTM. I am logged on to Vista as a local administrator. I hold down shift and then click on DNS, DHCP, etc and try and do a 'Run As'. Meaning, I should be prompted for alternate credentials. However this does not happen so it appears there is no way to perform run as other than bu using local administrator access.
December 30th 06 08:42 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
2 175
Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked by Go Vols Go
Hello I have Windows Vista RC-1 and every time I start my computer, WD pops up with an annoying balloon about it blocking a startup prog. When I click to check, there is no program blocked, but it will say that all programs. are permitted. Then when I close it, the same ballon pops up again. Its very annoying, but I don't want to disable ballons, or WD. If you know how to help me with this...
December 30th 06 04:44 AM
by Go Vols Go Go to last post
4 192
I'm stuck, need help fast! by ShadowAndMax
Hi... This never happened during the tests but now I'm sort of screwed. HELP! I have two drives. One with Vista RTM, and the other with XP SP2. I flop the cables to the drives depending upon which OS I need to use at the time for testing etc. Last night, I flopped the cables, booted to Vista RTM with nothing on it but RTM and Office 12 Beta 2 TR. (The XP drive was now D). vista had some...
December 29th 06 11:11 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post

From The