Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Does CA Internet Security Suite 2007 work on vista 5744 by niknik1971
I wondered if anyone has successfully installed the said program on windows vista RC2, build 5744? NIK -- Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup.
November 7th 06 01:48 AM
by Rick Go to last post
3 425
how to recover from sleep mode by msc
I have exact same prob. Checked "never" on all options in p/M and still system goes down. using RC2. any fix ?? "loopist" wrote: Has anybody had this problem, even though they had the power options to NEVER go to sleap mode? I'll leave mine for a couple hours and when I come back it looks like it went into sleep mode and I can't get it back out. "Larry" wrote:
November 7th 06 01:42 AM
by Rick Go to last post
1 317
Bad choice in NETSH.EXE for configuring IPSec by Walter Porter
NETSH.EXE does not allow both the actioninbound and actionoutbound to be "block" in Vista 5728. The following generates an error message in Vista 5728, but works fine in Win2k3: netsh.exe ipsec dynamic add mmpolicy name=temp netsh.exe ipsec dynamic add rule srcaddr=any dstaddr=any mmpolicy=temp actioninbound=block actionoutbound=block
November 6th 06 11:06 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
4 265
Folder unaccessable after returning to XP by Steven Best
I had a folder with some 20 GB of data on my secondary HD, and upon my upgrade to Vista, I could not access it. I "Took Ownership" of it in Vista, which allowed me to use it and the files it contained. As I was returning to XP, I suffered corruption of my MFT and lost all partitions on my primary HD. As this was a 2 year old XP install originally, and all my documents were backed up, I just...
November 6th 06 06:56 PM
by Steven Best Go to last post
0 271
Tune Up by John Chamberlain
When running Tune Up from WLOC, it gets to 96% on defrag, then appears to stall. Anyone else seeing a similar problem? If so, any suggestions? TIA. John C.
November 6th 06 06:31 PM
by MxMaciek Go to last post
3 475
UAC bug by Vipin
I thought I post the post I made to a internal newsgroup here. launch msconfig from a administrator account and disable UAC. Now do a reboot login as administrator. Go to security center and you will see that UAC is correctly shown as OFF. Now do a fast user switching to a standard user account OR logoff from administrator account and then login as standard user account. Go the security center...
November 6th 06 05:22 PM
by Vipin Go to last post
0 340
Dell D820 TPM (BIOS: A03) and BitLocker Problems by Walter Porter
Anyone else having problems getting BitLocker to use the TPM on a Dell Latitude D820 with BIOS at A03? I've got Vista RC1 build 5728 with a fresh install, but BitLocker refuses to recognize or use the TPM. I've tried repeatedly turning the TPM on/off in both BIOS and the TPM snap-in, and re-initialzing the TPM, but no luck... :-( Thanks.
November 6th 06 04:00 AM
by Walter Porter Go to last post
8 465
Admin approval mode by Vipin
disabling "run all administrators in admin approval mode" is same as turning off UAC. Can someone here who has been following the history of UAC development point me why the policy setting is not named much better for the end user like "Turn off UAC" ? -- Vipin Aravind http://blogs.explorewindows.com
November 5th 06 06:35 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 305
Excel 2003 SAVE Problems by Tippunmon
For security reasons have got some private spreadsheets stored on a USB portable 2.5" drive which I can freely access, amend and save with Excel 2003 under Windows XP Professional SP2. However when using same setup but with Vista beta right up to Vista RC2 I can open the file but it is always marked "read-only" and will not save using the same file name. I have checked the file properties...
November 5th 06 03:15 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 197
How to get firewall to ask for confirmation for all programs' internet access? by Roof Fiddler
How do I tell Vista's firewall to ask me for confirmation before allowing any program to contact another machine on the internet, and tell me the name of the program, the target machine it's trying to contact, the protocol (TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc) and the port (for TCP or UDP) on the target machine?
November 5th 06 12:01 PM
by MxMaciek Go to last post
1 219
The multi-desktop kludge for process isolation by Roof Fiddler
In Vista, if I want to ensure that two processes can't read each other's files, then I have to run those processes as separate users. This would be practical if I could mix different users' processes' windows on one desktop, in order to have ready access to them all. So why can't I do this? Why do all of the windows for each user have to be isolated onto per-user desktops, with the desktops...
November 5th 06 11:20 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 310
Program Acccess Problem by Rick Mayell
Hi, I have two Paradox programs that are accessed through the Desktop. Unless the user seleccts 'Run as administrator' before running the programs they fail due to SHARE.EXE. Any ideas? Regards, Rik
November 5th 06 03:42 AM
by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM Go to last post
1 275
AV and Firewall apps by Kuane
Can someone provide a list of which AV and Firewall apps work with Vista 5728? I read the post concerning AVG Free needing to be installed using Compatability mode but was curious what else may be available. I always preffered Zone Alarm but when I attempt to install v 6.5.722 I get the error message this product has issues with Windows Vista. TIA,
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 5th 06 03:11 AM
by Jordan H. Go to last post
25 875
An attack vector which Vista is supposed to withstand? by Roof Fiddler
If I have a laptop with: TPM hardware Vista with bitlocker, set to automatically boot up using the key in the TPM module Vista's default security settings, including default UAC settings and filesystem ACLs one non-administrator account in Vista, with the password written on a sticky note on the laptop one administrator account with a 20-random-character password not written down anywhere
November 4th 06 11:56 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
4 312
Firewalls for Vista by MB@MI, USA
What aftermarket firewalls function properly under Vista? Dont get me wrong, I feel Microsoft has done a great job with thier built-in firewall, but as an advanced user I much prefer two features to my firewall: a) easier rule implimentations/port allowances/etc, and b) the ability to either view live or view logs of actual packet/ip/transport information. Under normal circumstances I have...
November 4th 06 10:18 PM
by DF Go to last post
6 551
Zone Alarm Won't Install! by Flame
Help! Zone Alarm Won't Install! I can't stay connected for long! My build is 5600 RC1
November 4th 06 09:43 PM
by DF Go to last post
4 441
NOD32 Beta for Vista 32/64 bit now available by Jeff
Just an FYI; Just received this e-mail for NOD32 :-) Jeff Hello, please refer to our forum
November 3rd 06 06:55 PM
by pippin Go to last post
2 324
ISA 2004 Authentication by Julian Stone
I applogise if this has been asked\answered before but: From my vista rc2 workstation, whenever I attempt to browse the web etc. I'm presented with a proxy server authentication box. In some respects this is to be expected as our systems require authentication to use the ISA 2004 server, but no matter what combination of username\password I use, authentication always fails. That is until I...
November 3rd 06 02:15 PM
by Julian Stone Go to last post
0 174
Can UAC settings be made permanent? by Pirate Pete
I participate in the Stanford University "protein folding" distributed computing project. I need to run a command line program called FAH502-Console.exe. I put it in a directory in Program Files, put a shortcut on the desktop and marked the shortcut "Run as Administrator." When I click on the shortcut icon, I still get two warnings every time I run the program: an unknown publisher...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 06 06:37 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
11 416
Blocked Startup Programs not Blocked by cvp
(Vista RC1-64)I added a program (Highpoint Raid Manager) into the startup folder. Now Windows defender tells me on boot that it has blocked the program which it shows as "Not Yet Classified". In fact it hasn't blocked it at all (which is good!) If I try to select the program in the Software Explorer list of startup programs, I'm only offered the options of "Remove" or "Disable". How am I...
October 30th 06 04:41 PM
by cvp Go to last post

From The