Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
a-squared Free antivirus finds some bad things in winload.dll (Vista RC1) by Alexey
a-squared Free - Version 2.0 Scan settings: Objects: Memory, Traces, Cookies Scan archives: On Heuristics: On ADS Scan: On Scan start: 17.10.2006 18:59:50
October 17th 06 03:46 PM
by Shamus Go to last post
1 653
Excel 2003 KB923088 install problem on Vista RC2 by Nick Payne
I can't get the latest security update for Excel 2003 (KB923088) to install on Vista RC2. All the other patches that were just released for Office 2003 install fine, but not this one. After it failed the first time I rebooted and tried again as the first action after logging in, but got the same error. An XP/Office2003 workstation getting its updates off the same WSUS server can install the...
October 17th 06 08:32 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
2 581
Sorry--here's the link to the new Trend Beta suite for Vista by k_fonda
https://www.trendbeta.com/index.php?get=80
October 16th 06 05:39 PM
by RR Johnson Jr Go to last post
3 486
windows firewall settings won't display by Laurence
Nice error message "Due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings." Anyone know why?
October 16th 06 08:03 AM
by Laurence Go to last post
2 477
RC2 and eTrust av by Siggy
I have installed RC2 and want to use a supported AV program, so I downloaded and signup for eTrusts' CA AV. when I attempt to install it , it fails with an error E9009 - saying that the OS version is not supported. I opened a support case at eTrust. anyone having the same problem?
October 16th 06 01:42 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
7 779
Zone Alarm Won't Install! by Flame
Help! Zone Alarm Won't Install! I can't stay connected for long to the internet! My build is: 5600 RC1.
October 15th 06 02:48 PM
by Flame Vista Go to last post
2 476
BitLocker & Linux Dual Booting by Jamie Hunter [MS]
Some people have been asking about this, here's some information for those who are...
October 14th 06 05:55 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
2 512
Zone Alarm Won't Install! by Flame Vista
Help! Zone Alarm Won't Install! I can't stay connected for long to the internet! My build is: 5600 RC1.
October 14th 06 05:43 PM
by Flame Vista Go to last post
0 458
Error Code-2 by dlangdon01
Trying to install Magellan Mapsend software for my GPS unit. Rc1 stops the install at driver install (8% loaded) with "Can't install drivers. Error code-2". Is there a work-around for this?
October 14th 06 04:05 PM
by dlangdon01 Go to last post
0 512
User Acount Control by Matthileo
I have had about enough of this stupid feature. It keeps my antivirus stuff from running at startup, and it annoys me to no end. I tried to turn it off, but it gave me a scary warning that bad things would happen if I did. Now, my question... What are the real harms to disableing that stupid feature, and if they realy are that bad, how can I configure it not to be so dumb? --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 13th 06 10:30 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
23 1,185
Symantec and McAfee by Dave Neve
Hello I'd like to know what people think about Symantec and McAfee criticising Microsoft's Vista for having it's own security suite I'm no fan of Bill Gates and Microsoft but even I sympathise with them on this one. Imagine a car seat manufacturer criticising Ford for bringing out a new car with nice seats.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 06 09:48 PM
by Donald L McDaniel Go to last post
10 884
Trend PC-cillin 14 update fails w/RC2 by Peter
I've tried all the remedies at Trends website and nothing will persuade the application to update...I have a direct internet connection. It fails "error 28". -- Peter Toronto, Canada XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista RC2 5744 P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 700gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR Creative SB Audigy 4 Sound, ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 06 09:42 PM
by Donald L McDaniel Go to last post
14 784
Administrator on Vista by Vipin
So if I understand right, when I use the "Run as administrator" for a program , I get the same privelleges when run in built-in administrator account. -- Vipin Aravind http://blogs.explorewindows.com "Patrick Dickey" wrote in message ...
October 13th 06 06:59 PM
by Vipin Go to last post
0 558
Can't unblock an executable copied from another system by Dave Nuttall
I have two problems running an executable copied from another system: 1. I get a security warning: "The publisher could not be verified...". I clear the check mark next to "Always ask before opening this file", and hit "Run". The next time I start the same program, the same way, I get the same warning - with the check mark next to "Always ask..." set again. Hello, I just cleared the thing a...
October 13th 06 06:15 PM
by Dave Nuttall Go to last post
0 477
Is there a way to launch processes with arbitrary MIC labels? by Walter Porter
Hello: Is there a way to launch processes with arbitrary (or at least lower) mandatory integrity control labels? For example, is there something like a runas.exe command which can be used in a CMD shell running with the Medium MIC label to launch a process with the Low MIC label? Is the only way to launch a process with the Low MIC label is to hard code that label into the assembly or...
October 13th 06 05:09 PM
by Walter Porter Go to last post
2 577
Strange security audit events by drahnier
I have lots of the following messages in Windows Event Log: Log Name: Security Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Date: 10/13/06 09:38:00 Event ID: 5032 Task Category: Other System Events Level: Information Keywords: Audit Failure User: N/A
October 13th 06 08:06 AM
by drahnier Go to last post
0 587
1.0 Scheduler in Vista? by Comcast
Is there a way to use the 1.0 Scheduler ITaskService in Vista? My app can create the task, but the triggers are not created. Is there something I can do to get it to create the triggers? Thanks, Steve
October 12th 06 05:52 PM
by Comcast Go to last post
1 597
Where can I get Live OneCare Beta for Vista RC2 ? by rogerlebo
Hi! Where can I get Live One Care Beta for Vista RC2 ? Merci beaucoup! Roger
October 12th 06 04:55 PM
by Mills Architect Go to last post
3 628
RC2 Security permissions by St Bob
Fresh installation of RC2, loaded the missing 3com and Soundmax drivers, loaded AVG 7.5 version antivirus program and ran Vista as an Administrator. I noticed there were some hidden folders which I couldn't access. ie Documents and Settings as I recall. Opening properties on this folder and selecting the Security tag I added myself as admin for fully permissions to open this folder with...
October 12th 06 04:40 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
2 555
DCOM security problem again just like XP SP2 by Laurence
When XP SP2 was released alot of applications broke as they did not have permissions under DCOM (dcomcnfg) Well lo and behold the application I am testing has broken again in Vista (RC2) even though I think I have set the DCOM settings correctly. Basically the application is calling a remote component I think successfully, but it is doing so asyncronously so the component is required to...
October 12th 06 04:11 PM
by Laurence Go to last post

From The