Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Help! Bad Install of OneCare... Failed to Remove PC-Cillin by AllanF
Hi, I had been using Live OneCare Trial Version under Media Center Edition 2005. Vista Upgrade Advisor informed me of compatibility issues, so I uninstalled it. I installed Vista RC1 as an upgrade. Vista's Security Center reported no virus detection, and directed me to PC-Cillin 14.56 for Vista RC1 (the only option), which I downloaded and installed. The installation hung on the...
October 12th 06 06:51 AM
by AllanF Go to last post
3 553
RC2 5744 did upgrade (!) of XP can't uninstall WOC 1.0 by none
I had installed Vista in a dual-boot configuration many times but was anxious to see how a real upgrade would go with RC2 5744 from XP Home. For the most part, it went very well (takes quite a while when you're used to clean install dual-boot testing). One glitch, however, is that I didn't uninstall WOC 1.0 (have a subscription) prior to this upgrade. Vista didn't advise this to be a 'red...
October 12th 06 03:25 AM
by SteveC Go to last post
1 506
RC1 and aol VR by Ian
i have RC1 installed on my comp and have downloaded AOL VR however when i go to connect as an exsiting member it gets to stage 3 checking password and goes no further. is there a firewall setting that is stopping the information going from my comp or from the net coming to my comp what do i need to check i can use internet explorer fine
October 12th 06 02:30 AM
by drw1304 Go to last post
2 519
One Care 1.5 Install error by Peter
I get the following error when installing the Live OneCare 1.5 Beta: "There is currently a pending reboot. You must reboot and then start the installation." "Error ID: 0008-80004005" Searching on this error ID yeild no hits. I have rebooted many times, yet OneCare still thinks there is a pending reboot. Any ideas on how to correct this situation?
October 12th 06 01:11 AM
by wxguy Go to last post
1 525
Live OneCare by Doug
Hi, I just installed Live OneCare Beta for Vista (5744). It has turned off Defender, should I restart Defender or is this function taken over by OneCare? Doug
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 11th 06 03:38 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
11 992
log in security??? by jgrad561
installed rc1 ,now it tells me that I can no longer log in the old way and then a guest screen pops up and asks for my password.... never had one... tried to F8 and it gives me three options to log in guest , again with the password,,, administrator which says that its blocked and no lomger available and other, again with a password,,,, never had a password, just me and two other computers...
October 11th 06 08:00 AM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
2 536
Initializing a TPM on a T-60 running Vista by sandeep
I am running some test cases on BitLocker with TPM on a T-60. The T-60 had Windows XP when it arrived and I had initialized the TPM using the Lenovo Client Security solution software. After that I installed Vista , enabled Bitlocker etc. While doing some tests I cleared the TPM which prompted BitLocker recovery. But now I cannot seem to be able to initialize the TPM ! tpm.msc has an option...
October 11th 06 12:55 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 576
OneCare Firewall or Vista Firewall ? by Moe Ehmet
Is it really worth OneCare firewall and anti-malware than Windows Vista Firewall and Defender ? I really need to get an answer to this question ! because Microsoft says it has made Windows Vista Firewall better than most of other firewall software !and what's the use of Defender if we are going to have OneCare ?
October 11th 06 12:52 AM
by Moe Ehmet Go to last post
0 512
Harddrive permissions by WLancto
I have to harddrives on my computer. A 40gb (XP installation) and a 60gb (Vista Installation). When I originaly set up the Vista install I didnt have the XP harddrive plugged it. Once I did it was recognized right away and I thought everything was going to work fine. That was not the case. Accessing any sort of file stored on that harddrive is a nightmare. To access a file I need to go...
October 10th 06 10:29 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 511
Windows defender - "check for updates" by Vipin
I have come to know that Windows defender makes use of the Automatic updating feature to get an update of the spyware definitions when the user uses the "check for updates". So if I turn off the "automatic updating" in "Windows Updates", the spyware definitions update will fail. I want to be sure that "automatic updating" is a mandatory option which needs to be turned ON for defender to get...
October 10th 06 07:24 PM
by Vipin Go to last post
0 591
Certificate Enrollment Error by A.J. Breimer
When enrolling for a certificate from a Longhorn certificate server on Vista RC2 (build 5744) via the web interface, the following error pops-up: "An unexpected error (0x000001A8) occurred while getting the CSP list" The functionality was correctly working on Vista Beta 2. Bob Breimer
October 10th 06 03:18 PM
by A.J. Breimer Go to last post
0 607
Anti-Virus Programm für Windows Vista (German) by mk
Hallo, gibt es bereits ein (kostenloses) Anti-Virus Programm, dass auf Windows Vista läuft? Ohne Anti-Virus Programm ist man ja nur wenig geschützt... Ich hoffe, die Frage kann hier beantwortet werden MK
October 10th 06 01:09 PM
by Jane C Go to last post
7 715
Built-in Administrator account by SteveC
Vista says it is disabled? I want it back; how?
October 10th 06 11:46 AM
by George Valkov Go to last post
1 505
VISTA SECURITY by R. A. Pazderski
I know I will be "flamed" out of this Vista discussion group but I feel I must add my comments. RC1 sets up fine with a Clean Install on a fairly modern machine using up to date ancillary software. HOWEVER: 1. How many "Joe Six Pack" Windows single machine users actually want to spend time "logging" into their personal machines ?
October 10th 06 12:36 AM
by bob Go to last post
5 582
Two versions of Vista on same HD - Security Issue by Tim Starid
Allo, I have two different builds of Vista on the same drive, separate partitions. I noticed that if I'm running one and want to access data on the other, I can just navigate to that drive, and only run into a warning when I attempt to access a user's private foulder. I can click the box and the warnign goes away, giving me access to the user's files. Since I'm not the administrator of that...
October 9th 06 08:13 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 477
Windows Live One Care by Oscette
I purchased Windows Live One Care from Staples about 2 months ago. Yesterday I got the RC1 from MS. After I installed it, it told me I couln't load One Care because I didn't have XP SP2 files. What do I do? I just bought it.
October 9th 06 07:55 PM
by giantsfan Go to last post
2 523
Permissions by bob
I can understand that some people want and need this vast security, but I am the only user running on a stand-alone graphics workstation, and even though I am logged in with administrator rights, I am denied the right to install some of my graphics software with the error "you need administrative rights, blah blah blah". This being a contradiction in itself, I am forced, as suggested, to...
October 9th 06 04:58 PM
by bob Go to last post
6 616
Thawte e-mail cert request in IE7 / Vista 5744 by James Saveker
Hi Folks, Firstly allow me to say how impressed I am with build 5744. It is a massive improvement on RC1. My machine is using less resources running smoother.. It is generally a massive improvement all round. I am however having a problem requesting an e-mail certificate from Thawte. I think this may be more a problem with IE however I have added Thawte to my trusted sites and therefore...
October 9th 06 11:00 AM
by James Saveker Go to last post
0 503
PC-Cillin by Ben
Anyone else using the software it recommended in the Security Alert (since Norton is FUBAR). It's called PC-Cillin. I'm very much liking it. Easy to set up the antivirus, spyware, and firewall settings. Looks like it's going to be a quality product and not near the processing hog that Norton was.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 8th 06 10:17 PM
by Peter Go to last post
16 1,073
akamai download manager by chriske911
why is it that this downmanager cannot save files outside the user's profile folder? I do cheer the security features of vista but this is a bit too much when I decided to download vista_rc2 I couldn't save anywhere but on the system partition and inside the user folder which had just nearly enough free space left to hold the image and even then it was recreating the path under the temp...
October 8th 06 08:45 PM
by Jeff Go to last post

From The