Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Additional firewall in vista by Sanjay
Can anyone guide me on how to set addtional firewall in vista? Apparently defender being in beta stage additional protection wont be a bad idea;)
October 3rd 06 04:42 PM
by Kirk Go to last post
3 634
restrictions on hyperlinks, not admin account?? by BetaTester9999
Hello, I am running Vista RC1 with Office 2007 Beta, when I run Outlook either in administrator or user mode, I would clik on a link in an email message or even clik on help update, and I will receive a message that " This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." well I am the administrator/owner/creator etc. I...
October 3rd 06 03:54 PM
by BetaTester9999 Go to last post
2 530
restrictions on hyperlinks, not admin account?? by BetaTester9999
Hello, I am running Vista RC1 with Office 2007 Beta, when I run Outlook either in administrator or user mode, I would clik on a link in an email message or even clik on help update, and I will receive a message that " This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." well I am the administrator/owner/creator etc. I...
October 3rd 06 03:45 PM
by BetaTester9999 Go to last post
0 550
Certificate Autoenroll from different subnet won't work by PatOs
Hi! Has anyone managed to get Autoenroll towards a 2003 CA server to work form a different subnet from the CA? When connected to the same subnet everything works fine, but if I'm on a different subnet, the request fails with an error stating the the RPC server is unavailable. Any thoughts?
October 3rd 06 01:54 PM
by PatOs Go to last post
1 562
Built-in Administrator acct. for Domain be password never expires? by
Are there any risks associated with an expired built-in Administrator password? I've been googling but can't seem to quite get results that speak to this issue.
October 3rd 06 04:07 AM
by Brian Komar [MVP] Go to last post
4 544
OneCare Beta Date? by Leon Cutler
Has anyone heard of a release date for the vista ported version of Onecare live? ~Leon
October 2nd 06 07:05 PM
by Leon Cutler Go to last post
1 533
Onecare Beta Release? by Leon Cutler
Has anyone heard of a release date for a vista ported version of Onecare Live? I am beginning to wonder if they may not know where to go with it since most of the better features have been included into vista itself. ~Leon
October 2nd 06 07:04 PM
by Leon Cutler Go to last post
0 519
UAC & Shared PST File Permissions by Thomas
I have just installed build 5728 on a dual boot system (separate drives). In addition, I have installed Office 2007 Beta Refresh on both XP SP2 and Vista. Consequently, I would like to share a common PST file. This resides on my XP partition. With UAC turned on, I am blocked from accessing the common PST (permissions). With UAC turned off, I am able to access the file. Could anyone tell...
October 2nd 06 06:13 PM
by Thomas Go to last post
5 580
how to shut down the firewall of xp´s sp2 using vista by Tim
my firewall of xp is still active and prevents me from playing a new game, but does anyone knows how to modify or shut down this firewall? i can only get easy acces to the one of vista and i can´t start xp anymore.
October 2nd 06 04:08 PM
by Tim Go to last post
0 433
Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit by Spirefm
Norton Internet Security Testing - https://et.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid={5FB0B868-987F-4D8A-995C-7925EB89D6DE} Colin
October 2nd 06 07:30 AM
by Techno-Crat Go to last post
9 518
Does Vista firewall have holes? by Dark Knight
Currently evaluating Windows Vista RC1. Has anyone experienced any issues with Windows Vista firewall ports being detected as "closed" or "open" but not listed as "secure"? I ran several firewall port tests from various sites (ie: http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ ) and all listed the same open ports "Telnet 23" and "Web Proxy 8080". All other ports are listed as "Closed" which should...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 2nd 06 06:50 AM
by Some guy in Kirkland Go to last post
11 894
IIS Virtual Server 2003 R2 remote desktop etc stopped working by Scanner2001
I have installed the RC1 version of windows vista 64 bit. Then installed virtual server 2003R2 version for 64 bit. Everything was working fine. I could remote desktop to windows vista machine, use the virtual server admin web from another pc, etc. I then put in a linksys router, reset it, and was going to use it as a bridge for wireless inside my network. I then experience many network issues,...
October 1st 06 04:05 PM
by Scanner2001 Go to last post
1 569
Standard user has problems running Flash player by immune2snow
I've set up a "Standard user" account for my son, but he is not able to play his flash based game on it. The game works fine when IE is run as administrator. The game is on http://www.clubpenguin.com and uses Flash 9. I cannot find any indication as to what isn't working: there are no 'yellow bar' messages, event viewer messages, parental control logs. I've tried switching the firewall off...
October 1st 06 12:11 PM
by BillD Go to last post
1 541
Data leakage among users by Roof Fiddler
I installed Quicken on Vista, and ran it as one user, and then when I ran it as another user at the same time, quicken complained that it was already being run by another user. So Vista is leaking data among users, specifically, that other users are running particular programs. This is a security problem. A program running in one user account should have no way to know whether that same...
October 1st 06 10:32 AM
by Garry Grolman Go to last post
6 536
PCcillin vs Avast by ScottyDog55
Now that the compatability issues have been resolved, Avast is my choice of AV software. Trend was really affecting my IE performance, let alone the overall performance of my build 5728. even if I never have liked the avast "VCR" skin, I've been using it for a long time. I've tested most of the AV software out there for xp, and they all suck in some way or another. The best protection...
October 1st 06 01:24 AM
by ScottyDog55 Go to last post
0 515
OneCare by ScottyDog55
OC will not install on Vista. Period. OCBeta will send previous beta testers a notice when OC becomes available for Vista. Please don't tell people to go ahead and use a product when it's not compatable, and Vista will not allow it to install anyway due to the compatability issues.
September 30th 06 11:11 PM
by Dark Knight Go to last post
1 561
ebanking web site running JVM by CM
Hi All, I found I call logon ebanking web site which is using JVM. Even I installed latest Java from java.com. How can solve it. Thanks. CM
September 30th 06 06:30 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
2 531
AVG Free will work with 5600 and 5728 but... by Rick
First, I turned off UAC and rebooted. Then I ran the install program in Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. It was also set it as run as Administrator. When the installation was complete I then rebooted. With the AVG virus program updated and running properly I enabled UAC again and rebooted. Now AVG is working and I have no compatibility warnings from Vista. When I originally tried...
September 30th 06 10:47 AM
by pippin Go to last post
3 487
BitLocker Recovery not working on Lenovo T60 by sandeep
I have been able to make BitLocker work with the TPM on a Lenovo Thinkpad T60. BUT I am running into problems when I try to do a BitLocker recovery. In order to test the recovery, I inactivated the TPM in the BIOS utility and as expected BitLocker prompts me for the recovery password. It seems to accept the password and seems like windows is booting but it crashes with a blue screen after a...
September 30th 06 05:57 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
3 545
adminpak.msi for Vista? by
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?
September 30th 06 02:28 AM
by Rock Go to last post

From The