Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
ESET 4.0 hijacked by brooke.waits
Something got in and hijacked my ESET security suite and basically took over my entire computer. Almost all of my drivers are disabled and it has control of pretty much every file. I used hijack to find the files, and I notice the registry changes. It wont even let me run a virus scan in safe mode. I was looking at the registry and although normally I wouldn't go near it, I am just erasing the...
February 13th 10 01:36 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
8 632
accessing documents and settings folder by Roger Hamilton
I am trying to access documents and settings folder in Vista but keep getting access denied. Tried to change permissions but Vista will not allow me to do that either. I do I change this?
February 13th 10 10:44 PM
by Roger Hamilton Go to last post
0 375
accessing documents and settings folder by Roger Hamilton
I am trying to access documents and settings folder in Vista but keep getting access denied. Tried to change permissions but Vista will not allow me to do that either. I do I change this?
February 14th 10 12:20 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 497
what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"? by ToddAndMargo
Hi All, I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's account is disabled. I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can someone tell me what registry key I need to edit to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes" does?
February 14th 10 03:42 AM
by ToddAndMargo Go to last post
0 337
UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc) by ruben
From what I have read, secpol.msc does not exist in vista home premium. I would really like to set certain programs to be "elevated without prompting" so that I do not have to see the prompt every time, but all the help files point me to secpol.msc. I have read about ways to do this, but I would really like to avoid directly messing with the registry. Has Microsoft released anything to help...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 15th 10 12:57 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
26 1,146
Certificate errors by mmoloney
I have a Windows CA installed on Server2008 and I am having trouble with my vista machines getting a computer cert. All the server2008 boxes and the XPe boxes are getting certificates but on the Vista Machines I get an RPC server not available error. Any ideas? -- mmoloney
February 16th 10 10:52 PM
by mmoloney Go to last post
0 309
Certificate errors by mmoloney
I have a Windows CA installed on Server2008 and I am having trouble with my vista machines getting a computer cert. All the server2008 boxes and the XPe boxes are getting certificates but on the Vista Machines I get an RPC server not available error. Any ideas? -- mmoloney
February 16th 10 10:52 PM
by mmoloney Go to last post
0 422
Windows Vista by Priscila Trevino
Windows vista has great new features that changed Windows drastically.
February 17th 10 08:33 PM
by Priscila Trevino Go to last post
0 342
Windows Vista by Priscila Trevino
Windows vista has great new features that changed Windows drastically.
February 18th 10 02:26 PM
by Joan Archer[_5_] Go to last post
6 538
Removing file name Kontiki by Stupendously Stumped?
Please can anyone help me? I won't lie I was surfing some website I should not have been surfing and now I have this program Kontiki/K Service in my programs folder that I cannot delete. I looked into my security tab or something like to find out that this program gave itself a special permission in. I have tried many things to try and remove it from spy/adware sweepers nothing picks it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 18th 10 02:28 PM
by Joan Archer[_5_] Go to last post
10 761
Anti Virus Protection? by William F. Welner
Does one have to purchase a separate anti Virus program for Windows Vista? The Computer Shop that sold me my new PC told me that Virus protection is provided as part of Windows Vista. Immediately turned the PC on I received a message recommending that I purchase an anti Virus program. I am confused. Please provided me advice on the Anti Virus issue.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 18th 10 04:41 PM
by Badger[_3_] Go to last post
30 1,473
what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"? by ToddAndMargo
Hi All, I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's account is disabled. I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can someone tell me what registry key I need to edit to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes" does?
February 18th 10 07:32 PM
by ToddAndMargo Go to last post
8 834
Is the Attached log PROOF that my computer was HACKED?? by Borrowed_Time
I discovered this log which I copied to a text file and attached to this thread. Please take a look and let me know if it is proof that my computer has been hacked. I own this computer which is located at my house and it is NOT used for work. I believe my computer was hacked several months ago and Windows Group Policy was installed, since now I have totall lossed control (yes sounds odd, but...
February 19th 10 04:14 AM
by Borrowed_Time Go to last post
0 375
How much of a chance am I infected? by Bob
I reinstalled Vista. I thought I disconnected my network wire from my cable modem before I started the reinstall. The first thing I did when I could get Vista running was setup a standard user account and finished the reinstall and updates in that and not in admin account. I downloaded SP1 & SP2 files before reinstall so I did not have to download it during reinstall but just double...
February 22nd 10 06:55 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 311
How much of a chance am I infected? by Bob
I reinstalled Vista. I thought I disconnected my network wire from my cable modem before I started the reinstall. The first thing I did when I could get Vista running was setup a standard user account and finished the reinstall and updates in that and not in admin account. I downloaded SP1 & SP2 files before reinstall so I did not have to download it during reinstall but just double...
February 23rd 10 01:27 AM
by Bob Go to last post
6 474
I thought commercial sites are safe by Bob
My question: If I had gone to the site Monday morning and hovered my mouse over the infected ad, would I have gotten this virus? I use Vista32 Home Premium, updated daily, avast! antivirus 5.0 as my security software set to maximum protection with auto update, PC Tools Firewall Plus that I monitor to make sure it is set correct and I always run vista in standard user account (not Admin). ...
February 24th 10 03:10 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 496
I thought commercial sites are safe by Bob
My question: If I had gone to the site Monday morning and hovered my mouse over the infected ad, would I have gotten this virus? I use Vista32 Home Premium, updated daily, avast! antivirus 5.0 as my security software set to maximum protection with auto update, PC Tools Firewall Plus that I monitor to make sure it is set correct and I always run vista in standard user account (not Admin). ...
February 24th 10 03:30 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 317
Do I need a router for protection? by Bob
My questions: Do I need a router for protection? Will it significantly improve my protection? When does "The Law of Diminishing Returns" apply if it would help just a little? I have been reading about security. One site said a router makes my computer "invisible" on the internet. And another said "In very basic terms, a router will automatically reject unsolicited inbound communications...
February 25th 10 07:52 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 282
Do I need a router for protection? by Bob
My questions: Do I need a router for protection? Will it significantly improve my protection? When does "The Law of Diminishing Returns" apply if it would help just a little? I have been reading about security. One site said a router makes my computer "invisible" on the internet. And another said "In very basic terms, a router will automatically reject unsolicited inbound communications...
February 26th 10 05:03 AM
by Terry Heinz Go to last post
6 545
Verisoft Access Manager by Mark
I have used Verisoft Access Manager with Vista for many years. Loging on the Windows using a fingerprint always previously automatically logged onto Verisoft. Recently (I guess since a recent Windows update), Loging on to windows does not automatically log onto Verisoft. I have to click this icon and rescan my fingerprint. How can I adjuct the configuration to its previous setting? I have...
February 26th 10 08:56 AM
by Mark Go to last post

From The