Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
On Access Virus Scanner for Vista RC1 you say? by Robert Moir
It's a beta, but then if you're running Vista then you're a little late to be worried about that: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.0 -- -- Robert Moir Microsoft MVP
September 25th 06 08:10 PM
by news.microsoft.com Go to last post
3 494
bitsprx4.dll and wininit.exe by js8425
Morning all, I'm running RC-1. I ran spyware Doctor and it flagged bitsprx4.dll and wininit.exe as viruses. Windows site isn't clean on thses and Spyware Dr. can't get rid of them. Also I cannot delete them in safe mode or using XP64 (dual boot system). Any ideas? Thanks, John
September 25th 06 07:20 PM
by js8425 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
2 596
Desktop icons overlaid with security sign... by IQ70
Most of my desktop icons, word files, IE7/Mail have this security icon on their right lower corner. I associated that with TrendMicro AV (vista beta version) but uninstall of that software, manual registry cleaning also did not solve it. Does anyone know what is going on? http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/3015/iconszd9.png Sorry about the externally linked image. But there is no easy way to...
September 25th 06 04:19 PM
by azfronz Go to last post
3 827
Active X problem by Ron Maxey
I'm having trouble downloading a certificate for VPN from my employer's website because when I get to the certificate page, I get the pop-up message that an Active X control is downloading. But it never loads; it just hangs there. As a result, I'm unable to get a certificate, which seems to be the only thing keeping VPN and Citrix from running. I'm running Vista RC1. Any ideas? Thanks in...
September 25th 06 08:51 AM
by A.J. Breimer Go to last post
3 492
UAC / Signed Drivers / etc. are a joke :( by Ryan
Ok, I cannot comprehend what Microsoft was thinking. I cannot install sound drivers. I cannot install 3rd party applications that I paid for that require driver installs. For example, Alcohol 120%. I used that to mount images that I own the rights to. Guess what - no matter what I do or tweak, Vista 64-bit will NOT allow it to install a driver. Same goes for Cubase. I'm driving myself...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 24th 06 09:23 AM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
19 884
BSOD Trend Micro by Dirk Schrama
Today I got 3 times a BSOD thanks to Trend Micro 14. I'm using the Vista RC1. TMTDI.sys crashed several times. What's a good (free) anti-virus alternative for Vista RC1? I've just installed eTrust EZ Antivirus.
September 24th 06 03:31 AM
by PNutts Go to last post
3 558
Antivirus? by pehway
Trens Micro Internet Security 14 (Still Beta but works great). A free download while in beta. "troyboy" wrote: What is everyone doing about Antivirus protection? My XP was loaded with Norton's software. Under Vista I can not uninstall. Keeps telling me they'll let me know when it will work. I cannot install AVG, Bit Defender, EzArmor without uninstalling Nortons and
September 23rd 06 10:15 PM
by Ron Maxey Go to last post
1 510
Latest Microsoft 0-day spreading in the wild; is Vista/IE 7 vulnerable? by Edward Ray
Since Vista is being touted as a secure improvement over Windows XP, it would be nice to know. References: MSIE VML exploit spreading http://www.incidents.org/diary.php?storyid=1727&isc=d4e3eab7d07ea45e00d5d63aca8f6752 Zero-Day Response Team Launches with Emergency IE Patch, http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2019162,00.asp
September 22nd 06 06:28 PM
by Edward Ray Go to last post
0 533
How do I install a web certificate in Vista? by Sam Trego
In XP it was simple, just click "view certificate" then "import certificate" and you were done. I cannot figure out how to do this in Vista and I need to install a certificate in order to access my Outlook Web Access site on my company server... Can anyone help with this?
September 20th 06 10:04 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 528
How can I install a Web based certificate in Vista? by Sam Trego
In XP it was simple... when you log onto a site that has a non trusted certificate, you simply had to click "View Certificate" then "import certificate" and it would be installed. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install this same certificate (to my company server) onto my Vista computer. Can anyone help?
September 20th 06 04:17 PM
by Sam Trego Go to last post
0 470
AVG Free and UAC by Rick
AVG Free AntiVirus 7.1.405 seems to work fine with Vista 5536 but I have one question. When I open the application and manually ask AVG Free to look for updates I have to tell UAC that it is OK for this application to proceed. I checked the upgrade executable program's security access permissions (avginet.exe) and everything is checked except "special permissions". What do I need to do...
September 20th 06 04:15 PM
by sim.seb Go to last post
1 523
Lots Of Hard-Drive action after Boot or de-Hibernation is finished by Snadge
My drive light flashes for about a minute after boot up has finished and my services have al loaded....ive checked with Task Manager to see if its perhaps Trend Micro 14 (Vista BETA) AV doing a Quick Scan (there is no option for it to in GUI) and the Task Manager shows nothing ...? Can anybody explain this strange activity ALSO whats the best way to get feedback to Msoft?
September 20th 06 11:16 AM
by Snadge Go to last post
0 470
Issues On Lapop (HELP!!) by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 20th 06 11:03 AM
by abckid Go to last post
2 529
LAN Settings in IE by DanF400007
I installed Vista RC1 yesterday and has been working fine. This morning I connected it up to my domain and still works ok. My only problem is that if I log on as a local administrator the ability to change the Proxy settings in IE are disabled. This doesn't happen for our XP machines. I've check the local policy and can't see anything to cause this problem. Any suggestions, or is this a...
September 20th 06 08:19 AM
by DanF400007 Go to last post
0 459
Lan Settings in IE by DanF400007
I installed Vista RC1 yesterday and have now connected it to a domain this morning. Now if I log on as a local administrator the LAN Settings in Internet Explorer are grey'd out. Nothing is set the local policy, does Vista apply its GPO's in a different way than XP? Or is this just a bug?
September 20th 06 08:15 AM
by DanF400007 Go to last post
0 488
Anti-Virus Software by Panarchy
Hi! I've got Windows Vista RC1 (5600) and I've been using AVG Anti-Virus. I am not very impressed with it. Can some one please suggest a better one? I've heard Avast is good, but if it isn't I don't want to download bad software. Thanks in advanced.
September 20th 06 04:19 AM
by Panarchy Go to last post
3 514
Vista RC1 - AntiVirus Solutions..?? which ones actually work? by Snadge
Have Microsoft FORCED us to install Trend Micro because they (Trend Micro) are Contractors to Microsoft supplying AV's on thier servers (probably to get price cuts for forcing customers thier way) I tried 3 AV's (Bit Defender 9 and 10 / Kaspersky & AntiVirus Personal) but ALL didnt work and yet the security centre led me to Trend Micro Have any other testers had any other AV's working on...
September 19th 06 10:17 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
3 583
Disabling UAC doesn't actually decrease security? by Roof Fiddler
With UAC enabled in Vista build 5536, I get confirmation prompts in admin accounts, and I get password dialog boxes in standard user accounts. And of course standard users can't read each other's home directories. Then I ran secpol.msc and under Local Policies\Security Options I disabled User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode, and then rebooted. Now, as expected,...
September 19th 06 10:00 PM
by Michael Palumbo Go to last post
4 751
Anti-Virus Software by Panarchy
Hi! I've got Windows Vista RC1 (5600) and I've been using AVG Anti-Virus. I am not very impressed with it. Can some one please suggest a better one? I've heard Avast is good, but if it isn't I don't want to download bad software. Thanks in advanced.
September 19th 06 06:30 PM
by BChat Go to last post
3 516
Need Help !!! by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 19th 06 06:13 PM
by Lincoln 6 Echo Go to last post

From The