Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
firewall won't start by Johan
Hi, My firewall gives me this error message when i try to set it on. "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service." I have just installed SP1 but the problem started before that.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 11th 10 03:47 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
13 720
Filter Multicast & Filter Internet NAT Redirection settings question by Bob
I am using an old wired Linksys BEFSR41 V3 Router to increase my security. I looked up my cable modem and it is not a router nor does it contain a firewall. I am using PC Tools Firewall Plus free firewall software on my computer because it was rated in the top three. I was told that a router increases my security because it has an "additional firewall". Three Security questions in...
March 12th 10 01:18 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 383
Filter Multicast & Filter Internet NAT Redirection settings question by Bob
I am using an old wired Linksys BEFSR41 V3 Router to increase my security. I looked up my cable modem and it is not a router nor does it contain a firewall. I am using PC Tools Firewall Plus free firewall software on my computer because it was rated in the top three. I was told that a router increases my security because it has an "additional firewall". Three Security questions in...
March 12th 10 01:18 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 278
Can't Drag & Drop onto CMD window? by Gerry Hickman
Hi, Under Win2k, I can drag a BAT file onto the CMD window from a UNC path and it will place the path to the file at the prompt ready to run. On Vista, I just get a "no entry" sign. I have to do complex builds (e.g. platform SDK) at the command prompt and on Vista have to type the paths manually.
March 12th 10 07:00 PM
by cniggeler Go to last post
9 430
Norton 360 product key by Justin
so i recently had the vista antispyware 2010 so i reformatted my computer and now i installed the norton 360 again but if i put the product key in the norton on my account it will say i have used up all 3 keys is there any way i can like delete that i used a product key in the first place(i only want it on 2 machines for right now so when i get a new computer i can also put it in there).
March 13th 10 08:43 AM
by Justin Go to last post
0 317
Norton 360 product key by Justin
so i recently had the vista antispyware 2010 so i reformatted my computer and now i installed the norton 360 again but if i put the product key in the norton on my account it will say i have used up all 3 keys is there any way i can like delete that i used a product key in the first place(i only want it on 2 machines for right now so when i get a new computer i can also put it in there).
March 14th 10 04:44 PM
by Shenan Stanley Go to last post
8 572
recovering deleted files by [email protected]
hello, i deleted some files i'd like to have back. i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me the option to narrow the searches down to when i deleted the files. so they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i want. these are files that i removed even from the recycle bin, but...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 10 12:12 AM
by xani Go to last post
12 947
Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN by Alasdair
When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even if connected to a VPN. What has changed? Printing: From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008) Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 10 08:06 AM
by Michael Steiger[_2_] Go to last post
14 957
need help with password for vista 32bit by ghostdogg
Hi I am a computer tech and I am looking for a solution for a customer, so I thought I would start here since have had no luck. Well she has a son who is on windows vista and he may me visiting some sites that he should not if u know what i mean!!. but she does not want him to know she has been prying in his PC. so she ask me to help.I can reset the password and install some spy software to let...
March 17th 10 03:16 PM
by ghostdogg Go to last post
0 395
need help with password for vista 32bit by ghostdogg
Hi I am a computer tech and I am looking for a solution for a customer, so I thought I would start here since have had no luck. Well she has a son who is on windows vista and he may me visiting some sites that he should not if u know what i mean!!. but she does not want him to know she has been prying in his PC. so she ask me to help.I can reset the password and install some spy software to let...
March 17th 10 08:08 PM
by Pete Delgado[_2_] Go to last post
2 461
System Calls by Karthik Balaguru
Hi, Is there any way which I am tell whether an application is malicious or not by looking at the system calls made by the application? Thanks In Advance, Perumal If i've understood your question there exists a project called REMUS hosted
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 18th 10 02:02 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
16 959
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font\PFM -- unable to display current owner by Frank Puck
Adobe installer failed because he cannot access this directory. I looked at it with explorer and it tells me, that it cannot display the current owner. I used AccessEnum to display ACL of the entire disk and there are a lot of directories below C:\$recycle.bin for which permissions cannot be listed. Anybody know how this could happen?
March 18th 10 08:33 AM
by Peter Cremers Go to last post
4 505
Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i by john ha[_3_]
I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator. But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password". I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a password to. Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same, or will the vista...
March 19th 10 04:49 PM
by john ha[_3_] Go to last post
0 319
Help: Not sharing folders, but can they still be hacked? by john ha[_3_]
I'm using Vista but not sharing any folders at all on my unsecured wireless network. However, could a hacker in my apartment complex still access the hard drive's files if my admin password is blank (since I never set the admin pw up), or even just another way, even though I don't share any folders?
March 19th 10 08:14 PM
by john ha[_3_] Go to last post
0 301
Can A Hacker Steal My Files If I Don't Share Any Folders In Vista File Sharing? by john ha
Hi, I accidentally left my router unsecured for a couple of hours. I also left my laptop on during this time, connected wirelessly to the unsecured router. My question is, can a hacker in my apartment complex who really wants to, connect to this router and hack into my laptop's hard drive and steal/transfer files? I have not shared any folders.
March 19th 10 11:22 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
3 344
Vista Antivirus Pro - malware by John
I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista. Vista Antivirus Pro has appeared and is creating havoc on my system. Is anyone familiar with Vista Antivirus Pro? I removed my laptop from my network and then I ran a boot scan with Avast! It said that it removed a Trojan, but today, Vista Antivirus Pro is back. I don't know what else to do. -- John
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 20th 10 06:40 AM
by 02befree Go to last post
20 1,279
HELP: Final Question About Hackers Stealing Files Via Wireless Net by john ha[_3_]
Hello, my question is to verify if these statements are true, I wanted to email these guys personally but I understand it's better to share this with everyone. The questions concern if hackers can break into my Vista computer and access the hard drive's files, if my laptop is wirelessly connected to an unsecured router (meaning they connect to the unsecured router, and connect
March 20th 10 04:09 PM
by john ha[_3_] Go to last post
0 306
HELP: Final Question About Hackers Stealing Files Via Wireless Net by john ha[_3_]
Hello, my question is to verify if these statements are true, I wanted to email these guys personally but I understand it's better to share this with everyone. The questions concern if hackers can break into my Vista computer and access the hard drive's files, if my laptop is wirelessly connected to an unsecured router (meaning they connect to the unsecured router, and connect
March 20th 10 10:39 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
4 470
UAC setting blocking auto run... by Greg[_26_]
Hello, I have an app I created I need to run following a reboot after an installation - and I am using a key in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Run path of the registry to start the process. Running the app manually it works (I get a prompt with a warning coming from the UAC). But when run with the registry entry in place after reboot, if the UAC setting is enabled, the...
March 23rd 10 02:33 PM
by Greg[_26_] Go to last post
0 292
vpn to poptop not reponding by joe
Hello I have a redhat vpn server. It is a pptp 128bit server. Works with all xp machines. There is one windows 7 machine that is unable to login. The problem goes away after I login to vpn as a diffrent user and the log back as the user havng problems. Does anyone know a solution for this program?
March 23rd 10 05:58 PM
by joe Go to last post

From The