Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Why prompt for my own password? by JimR
Why do I get prompted to enter my own acount's password? I'm logged in as a user (not administrator) and in some cases I get prompted for admin password; this is fine. But in other cases I get prompted for Admin password or my own account's password. If I type in my account's password, I am alllowed to complete the change. If my account has rights to make the change, then shouldn't I...
September 14th 06 10:37 PM
by Mark D. VandenBerg Go to last post
8 617
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by simonstevens
Deary Deary me ! you all sound like hitler youth, blindly following Hier Gates. I fmicrosoft wasn't such an arrogant monopolising arrogant company there would be nobody trying to run programs that will do harm to your computer. Wake up and stop sucking up to microsoft "steve hall" wrote in message ...
September 14th 06 09:02 PM
by Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Go to last post
2 503
Vista Permissions by Kilgore Trout
Ok, I'm at a total loss, access is denied to my user folders (video, music ect) I've disabled UAC, edited every local security policy that looked relevant and tried to take ownwrship via properties . the security tab shows I have read and write permission, but acces is still demied. I also can't edit any permissions on the tab, access is denied to that also. I love RC1, but Joe average...
September 14th 06 09:01 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
6 715
How can I set the security so that I can move, copy, delete filee by GuyDeStefano
I converted to Beta-2, & Pre-RC1 no problems. Today was bad bad. I installed RC1, and cannot do anything without any kind of security permissions, of which I have tried for hours to change. I just want to be an administrator on my own machine period. I want to be able to have all access to all my files ( Home Network ). Cannot do anything, always says "need permission from...
September 14th 06 08:55 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
6 581
how to recover from sleep mode by AceWriter01
I just did a clean install of RC1 on a Tablet PC (Toshiba Tecra M4) and I'm still encountering the problem described below. The system seems to awaken, but nothing shows up on the monitor. I have to do a hard restart to see anything at all. Mark ------------ "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
September 14th 06 05:41 PM
by AceWriter01 Go to last post
0 521
how to recover from sleep mode by AceWriter01
Hmmm. I've just done a clean install of RC1 on a Toshiba Tablet PC (Tecra M4) and I'm still encountering the problem described below. IThe disk/system seems to awaken when I open the case or touch the mousepad, but nothing appears on the monitor at all. have to do a hard restart to see anything on the monitor. :-( Mark -----------------
September 14th 06 05:38 PM
by AceWriter01 Go to last post
0 544
Enabling ICMP Traffic by Or Tsemah
If previous vista build i could edit a section in the firewall setting predefined for ICMP in http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/3fd2ca73-96da-4cf4-b9fc-03371bc3dc1e1033.mspx now there isn't (Build 5600) How do i do it now without constructin an Inbount\Outbound Specific rules ?
September 14th 06 05:27 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 519
Installing an Application and online patching by Muemeister
Hi there, I'm really concerned about a special issue referencing third party application installation on windows vista. Here is my scenario: - I develop an app and ship it - A user somewhere installs the app with the given installer (there he has to confirm installation and the installer installs the app with admin rights - if I don't confuse that) - after a while of using the software...
September 14th 06 03:12 PM
by Muemeister Go to last post
0 504
AVG Beta&RC1 -repost by Jeff
Hi, Just an FYI; originally posted in Vista security. AVG is now beta testing a full suite;including firewall; that is supposedly RC1 ready. To register go he http://www.grisoft.com/doc/29571/lng/us Scroll down to the bottom of the page to register.
September 14th 06 12:07 AM
by Jeff Go to last post
0 519
Reinstalling RC1 by Obialor
I have a dual boo PC - Vista and XP. I am having problem with IE on the Vista and some other programs. How can I safely re-install Vista RC1 on the Vista partition without the risk of losing all my Document folderrs? Obi
September 13th 06 11:34 PM
by Obialor Go to last post
0 464
Can't open files from a CD-ROM? by Just Bob
I double clicked on a readme.html on a CD-ROM and Vista says it can't access the internet? Also I wanted to copy the file name of a file on the CD-ROM and in other Windows OS I can right-click and choose rename so I can copy the file name (of course I can't really rename the file on a read-only CD-ROM but I just want to copy the file name). Any ideas?
September 13th 06 10:48 PM
by Just Bob Go to last post
0 459
AVG Beta & RC1- AVG is now beta testing by Jeff
Hi, AVG is now beta testing a full suite;including firewall; that is supposedly RC1 ready. To register go he http://www.grisoft.com/doc/29571/lng/us Jeff
September 13th 06 09:55 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
0 466
ICMP Ping on vista by Or Tsemah
Did someone Managed to get the old ICMP Ping to work on vista RC1? I realy need it to work again Thanks. Or.
September 13th 06 12:28 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 464
Security Center & Antivirus software by Al Christoph
1. I had AVG (free) running with the August bits. 2. I installed RC1 as an upgrade. Went in smooooooth. I didn't even have to use any grease. 3. RC1 complained about not being able to talk to AVG and offered TrendMicro. 4. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled AVG and fiddled around with defender so that AVG runs properly. (Don't ask for the why of what I did. It was the first time I...
September 13th 06 12:24 PM
by Al Christoph Go to last post
0 460
How to create a file in "Public" on vista OS? by Ricmy_zhu
hello. I use following code to create a file in my programe CFileException Error; CFile oFile; UINT nFlags = CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite; try { if (oFile.Open(oPath, nFlags,Error)) { oFile.Close();
September 13th 06 09:34 AM
by Ricmy_zhu Go to last post
0 482
Vista Permissions by Kilgore Trout
Ok, I'm at a total loss, access is denied to my user folders (video, music ect) I've disabled UAC, edited every local security policy that looked relevant and tried to take ownwrship via properties . the security tab shows I have read and write permission, but acces is still demied. I also can't edit any permissions on the tab, access is denied to that also. I love RC1, but Joe average...
September 13th 06 07:40 AM
by Kilgore Trout Go to last post
0 467
Microsoft Certificate Services by johnnytaco
Trying to create a cert within Microsoft Certificate Services in Vista RC1, http://myserver/certsrv/certrqma.asp, I get the following error: You need to install the following CSPs before the enrollment, Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0, and Microsoft Base Cryptopgraphic Provider v1.0. I haven't found the resolution - anyone have any ideas? Thanks
September 12th 06 08:43 PM
by Brian Komar [MVP] Go to last post
1 512
Antivirus fo Pre-RC1: BSOD installing AVG, avast not working, PC-Cillin OK by Peter Meinl
I got a blue screen when installing AVG antivirus trial. Cannot use avast because of a known problem with is said to be fixed in RC1. PC-cillin seems to work. Only hat to reenable the Vista firewall which PC-cillin setup did disable even though I selected minimum install (without their firewall).
September 12th 06 08:28 PM
by Gopher_By_Fender Go to last post
5 736
Windows Security Center reports antivirius that have been removed by Pgo
Trying to get an antivirius that works with Vista I have installed and then fullly unistalled 2 antivirius. The windows security center still reports that I have an antivirius and lists the two that were on my machine. Checked services and running programs and found no traces of the antivirius program Scanned the registry for the name listed in the security center and found no match (1) How...
September 12th 06 02:02 PM
by Pgo Go to last post
3 484
Yahoo Online Protection by abroami
Yahoo antivirus constantly turns itself off after I turn it on. This happened with Vista Beta 2 and RC1? What gives?
September 12th 06 04:51 AM
by MICHAEL Go to last post

From The