Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Autorun CD Disc-Based Web Site in Vista by RussellS
Not a time-sensitive emergency, as Vista won't be RTM for a couple months, but... I'm a small system builder who has always issued a Drivers & Programs CD/DVD with all systems sold. These CDs are basically simple disc-based webs, using basic html with an index.htm page, having basic hyperlink navigation to other pages on the disc for various component driver instruction pages, along with a...
September 11th 06 06:54 PM
by RussellS Go to last post
0 333
No access to files by kfoutts
I've found that even as Admin there is a lot to Vista with No Access. I just downloaded the 64bit version RC1, the download - like others was saved to the virtualized directory. The download showed complete, I closed the downloader but the file remains in the virtualized directory - to which I don't have access. I even activated the adminsitrator account, logged on, searched, no .iso...
September 11th 06 02:17 PM
by kfoutts Go to last post
4 422
Security prompt everytime I start Internet Explorer by Thomas Jespersen
Hi I'm running on a fresh installation of Windows Vista RC1 with Office 2007 installed. Every time I start Internet Explorer (both form the IE Shortcut and from a mail in Outlook 2007) I get a security warning: "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer"
September 11th 06 08:39 AM
by Tony Hoyle Go to last post
3 331
Need Working Antivirus Solution by PhilMaznyk
Has anyone had complete success (zero issues) yet with any antivirus software in build 5536. I need to know of one that works completely and without any issues. Thanks. Phil.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 10th 06 07:21 PM
by drahnier Go to last post
19 449
Antispyware alternative by Alice
Is there an antispyware alternative to Windows Defender? Using Windows Vista a Pre-RC1. Thanks in advance, Alice
September 10th 06 06:41 PM
by foxbat1126 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
6 367
TechTAK Today by Raven Mill
Hi again folks... Just wanted to remind everyone about TechTAK. This week we begin announcing ways to be entered into our grand prize drawing of a custom built gaming system from Raven, so be sure to listen in. Show airs from 6-8pm AKDT every Saturday. That's 7-9pm Pacific, and 10-midnight Eastern, in the US. (6-8pm GMT-9) http://www.techtak.com
September 9th 06 10:51 PM
by Raven Mill Go to last post
0 373
how can I delete registry key value in HKLM by Rastlin Chen
Hey! I write a driver for usb device. I can call UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices to replace inbox driver with my driver when device is on system. But if device is not on system, I must delete HKLM/CurrentControlSet/ Enum/USB/{ID Value} to force device recgonize when it replug on system. In XP I can delete it, but how can I do it in Vista? Thanks a lot!
September 8th 06 01:42 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
2 343
BitLocker: How does Diffuser work? by tavis
Hi Jamie, Has the paper you mention below providing details of Diffuser and the overall encryption algorithm available yet? If not, a question: Can you describe a bit more about how a 256-bit AES key is used to "mix up the bits" (all 512 bytes) of an *entire* sector, when the key itself is only 32 bytes long? Thanks!
September 8th 06 06:43 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 513
Bitlocker doesn't work in this build. by MICHAEL
In Beta 2, you could use Bitlocker to encrypt your Vista volume even if you did not have "TPM". That is no longer an option. Pathetic, but expected. I just knew Microsoft was going to mess that up. -Michael
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 8th 06 06:18 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
10 573
Bitlocker by Or Tsemah
I have two question that i need to clarify? First, How not having a TPM chip affects bitlocker? is it the early-boot component that i require? because i understand that i CAN use a USB for this Second, if i take a Bitlocker encripted disk and plug it as a secondary drive on another computer, how can i read it (For restore purposes) Thanks. Or.
September 8th 06 06:13 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
6 525
Using bitlocker to isolate users' data by Roof Fiddler
I have a machine that has no TPM hardware. The machine needs to run Vista. Multiple users each need to be able to power up and shut down the computer by themselves, and store their data on the machine's hard drive. Also, each user wants assurance that if any other user pulls the hard drive and reads it in another machine, then that latter user can't read the former user's data. If a user...
September 8th 06 06:02 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 365
Security center by Frédéric ESNOUF \(ISA MVP\)
Hi guys, I can see that now on vista, you have different sections in the security center. One of them is called "Other Security Settings". I would like to add a program in this list, and I wonder how to do it (and I imagine that there are a few APIs also). Can you advise me ?
September 8th 06 04:04 AM
by Frédéric ESNOUF \(ISA MVP\) Go to last post
0 358
Windows Vista Security Guide Beta Release by Derick Campbell (MSFT)
The Windows Vista Security Guide has been released to Beta exclusively through Microsoft Connect. It is available to anyone who signs in with a Windows Live ID (formerly Passport) account at this URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=820&InvitationID=VSG-P74P-BFTH&SiteID=14. The Beta period will last for three weeks, during which we’ll be accepting and triaging...
September 8th 06 03:49 AM
by Wayne McGlinn Go to last post
5 363
How do I explicitly cause a UAC elevation prompt? by Kevin Southern
I am writing an application that needs to run from a CD without undergoing an installation of any software to the user's system. I need administrative rights to the machine, since I will need to install drivers as part of my operation. However, I have the following constraints: 1) I do not want to assemble and maintain an MSI installer. 2) I need to run on an "out of the box" WinXP-SP2 & ...
September 7th 06 08:42 PM
by Kevin Southern Go to last post
2 345
Setting up .NET v1.1 App on VISTA RC1 (b 5536) by Sekhar
I have spent almost 2 days figuring out a way to make my .NET 1.1 ASP.NET application run on IIS7 on Vista RC1 (b 5536) - in vein. I get this error message: ___________________________________________________________________ Security Exception Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required...
September 7th 06 05:18 PM
by Sekhar Go to last post
0 289
Windows Vista Security Guide Beta by Derick Campbell (MSFT)
The Windows Vista Security Guide has been released to Beta exclusively through Microsoft Connect. It is available to anyone who signs in with a Windows Live ID (formerly Passport) account at this URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=820&InvitationID=VSG-P74P-BFTH&SiteID=14. The Beta period will last for three weeks, during which we’ll be accepting and triaging...
September 6th 06 08:01 PM
by Derick Campbell (MSFT) Go to last post
0 350
Trend Micro PC-Cillin by James
Does this work with build 5536 because when i try and install it, it gets to Installing Firewall andthen just stays like taht for ages.
September 6th 06 01:41 PM
by Conor Go to last post
4 353
File ownership for legacy installer programs by Roof Fiddler
If I run as an administrative user a legacy installer program for a program which stores user settings and data in its own directory, then the files and directories it creates are owned by and accessible to that user, and the program runs correctly as that user. But if I run the installer as a regular user, and then enter an admin user's password in the UAC dialog when the program needs to...
September 6th 06 01:07 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 382
Preventing simple local DOS attacks by Roof Fiddler
After years of Microsoft reengineering Windows with an emphasis on security, I still see no way to give a user an account on my computer without also giving him the ability to (accidentally or intentionally) perform very effective DOS attacks by allocating gobs of memory, with the result that switching users or performing any tasks under any other user accounts is so dreadfully slow that I...
September 5th 06 08:55 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 318
Finding a user's total writeable namespace by Roof Fiddler
How do I obtain a list of all the places that a non-administrator user can possibly stuff his data, including all of the files and directories on all disks to which he has write access and all of the registry locations to which he has write access? Also, by default, does as new non-administrator user have write access to any area of the system disk's filesystem besides his home directory...
September 5th 06 08:53 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post

From The