Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Application Data Security in ProgramData folder by Dweezil38
Hi there I've been searching high and low to find an answer to my problem, but no luck. I've got a Windows application that is using an Access Database to track user data and an XML file to track where the database is located. I'm using VS 2008 on Vista Ultimate created using VB. My Deployment Project is creating a subform under C:\ProgramData and I can get my files installed there no problem...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 3rd 10 09:44 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
10 928
How to Authorize FTP Protocol on Vista? by W[_2_]
I have a third party application (an APC firmware upgrade utility) that implements an active FTP protocol inside the application. It does not use the ftp.exe that comes with Vista. My question is how do I configure networking and the firewall to allow the reverse ftp-data connection to come back from the ftp server to the vista computer? I tried disabling the firewall entirely by...
May 4th 10 02:16 AM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
2 793
Help: Not sharing folders, but can they still be hacked? by john ha[_3_]
I'm using Vista but not sharing any folders at all on my unsecured wireless network. However, could a hacker in my apartment complex still access the hard drive's files if my admin password is blank (since I never set the admin pw up), or even just another way, even though I don't share any folders?
May 5th 10 09:11 AM
by No Name Go to last post
4 675
Windows 7 / Windows 2008 R2 / Active Directory / Smart Card auth by Blake[_2_]
I have a windows 7 test client, a windows xp test client, and a Windows 2008 R2 domain with an Enterprise CA installed. I have issued a smart card logon cert to a test user, and put it on my smart card. It works from the XP system (meaning I can log into windows/onto the domain using the card), but not from the Windows 7 system. Win7 gives me the 'No valid certificate' error. Now it seems...
May 6th 10 02:24 PM
by Blake[_2_] Go to last post
0 389
Windows 7 / Windows 2008 R2 / Active Directory / Smart Card auth by Blake[_2_]
I have a windows 7 test client, a windows xp test client, and a Windows 2008 R2 domain with an Enterprise CA installed. I have issued a smart card logon cert to a test user, and put it on my smart card. It works from the XP system (meaning I can log into windows/onto the domain using the card), but not from the Windows 7 system. Win7 gives me the 'No valid certificate' error. Now it seems...
May 6th 10 02:24 PM
by Blake[_2_] Go to last post
0 627
Free but excellent malware protection by Paul H
I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my W7 notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags give Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings. Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what do they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld. I would...
May 6th 10 05:06 PM
by Paul H Go to last post
0 424
how to save vista updates? by Neerav
hi. i'm about to update vista ultimate on my slow 64kbps connection and would like to backup the update setups so as that i can install directly from a cd next time i reinstall vista rather than doing it online all over again. can anyone tell me how to go about it?
May 7th 10 07:05 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
6 834
Service Question by tangentjohn
It is also part of Webshots if you are runnng that. -- tangentjohn
May 8th 10 05:30 PM
by tangentjohn Go to last post
0 386
Service Question by tangentjohn
It is also part of Webshots if you are runnng that. -- tangentjohn
May 8th 10 05:30 PM
by tangentjohn Go to last post
0 764
Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community by No Name
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the...
May 8th 10 09:08 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
4 954
Free but excellent malware protection by Paul H
I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my W7 notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags give Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings. Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what do they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld. I would...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 10th 10 02:17 AM
by Bob Go to last post
16 1,231
User Data Backup and Restore - Help! by NC Beach Bum
I am working with a PC that has account and password issues so the user is blocked from accessing his files. I have tried Orphcrack on the system but it's not showing any passwords. The user tells me the system has been acting odd for some time now and - of course - he does not have a backup and to make it worse his tax information is on the system so he had to file an extension to get...
May 14th 10 05:17 AM
by lypolintan74 Go to last post
8 893
Data Execution by tom
Dose anybody no how to fix this problem. When i plug in my i pod,mobile phone, or my hard drive popup window keeps comming up com surrogate was closed, have went to the settings to try to stop this but cant. when i plug in the hard drive rundll 32 shuts down my system. thanks tommy.
May 17th 10 12:53 AM
by St Go to last post
2 703
FIREWALL WONT TURN ON!!! by Oakf.
guys i need help .. my firewall just turned off by its self then and i try to turn it back on it wouldnt let me .. said something about windows security cannot turn on firewall
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 19th 10 04:38 AM
by Bob Go to last post
11 958
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog by Chris
Running Vista Ultimate The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog Titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog With a dialog message of: Failure - Security Options I have seen that others have had similar...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 23rd 10 08:43 PM
by kriddyk Go to last post
12 664
pop ups by Bill Walsh
Using Firefox with Windows Vista..I Set the option to block popups in Firefox, but I still get them.Anyone have the same thing? Or how to fix it? Thanks..BW
May 24th 10 04:36 PM
by Bill Walsh Go to last post
0 353
This organization's certificate has been revoked. by Martin Kulov [MVP]
Hi, I have one SSL protected web site with certificate issued by our organization. It used to run fine untill recently I replaced the old certificate with the other one with the same name and host address due to configuration issues.I also revoked the old one. Now when I try to access the site I can not enter because of this screen: There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
May 25th 10 10:18 AM
by stealthsid Go to last post
4 692
testing smart card minidriver by leochou
when testing smart card minidriver in windows 7, got the following errors: "cmck exec Reconnect" always show that Testing through CAPI calls Submitting CSP PIN for reader \\.\DMWZ ESAFE 0\ CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_NEWKEYSET CryptGenKey Reconnecting CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_DELETEKEYSET
May 28th 10 10:16 AM
by leochou Go to last post
0 611
testing smart card minidriver by leochou
when testing smart card minidriver in windows 7, got the following errors: "cmck exec Reconnect" always show that Testing through CAPI calls Submitting CSP PIN for reader \\.\DMWZ ESAFE 0\ CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_NEWKEYSET CryptGenKey Reconnecting CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_DELETEKEYSET
May 28th 10 10:16 AM
by leochou Go to last post
0 397
Urgent - Can't Find Windows Update In Vista by Rojo Habe[_3_]
"FromTheRafters" erratic @nomail.afraid.org wrote in message ... Start - run - wupdmgr Are you sure? On mine (Vista Ultimate SP") it's Winkey-R (no Run on the start menu by default) - wuapp. Or Start - All Programs - Accessories - Run - wuapp.
May 28th 10 10:19 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post

From The