Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
"Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Snap-in failed to load" by nweissma
Newbie, fooling around with Home Premium, came across an option labeled, "Windows Firewall with Advanced security" Upon activation, popup reads, "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall Service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9" --
April 22nd 07 03:13 PM
by Malke Go to last post
5 161
"Windows Live OneCare has changed your firewall protection level" by Gary VanderMolen
Is anyone else getting numerous notifications like this? It always happens when I resume my laptop from sleep. I get two such warnings spaced about one minute apart. The first one says the firewall will be restricted because the computer is connected to an unsecure network, and the next one saying the firewall is on 'automatic' because the network is no longer unsecure. It happens with Vista...
March 16th 07 01:13 AM
by Mr. Freeze Go to last post
6 161
"Windows Security Center Services can't be started" by Doug
I downloaded and installed Norton antivirus 2007 for Vista. After a successful download, I turned on the firewall, checked for security updates, and ran live update. Now, the Security Center Services will not open. I talked to symantec and they informed me that once I downloaded Norton 2007, it migrated with Windows security and there is no problem. I have a GREEN check mark on my Norton...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 7th 08 12:43 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
14 234
"WindowsUpdate_800B0100" by [email protected]
when updating the windows vista 32 - update KB950760 I get the error "WindowsUpdate_800B0100". Does anyone know how to fix it?
July 9th 08 08:38 PM
by Engel Go to last post
1 178
"you need permission to perform this action" copying a file by [email protected]
It's almost embarressing to ask this but I need help copying a file from a network share to my Vista computer. For some reason I am completely blocked when attempting this. Here's the situation: * 3 gb ISO on a networked-pc (running XP) file share with read permissions. i can see the file in Windows Explorer after providing network login credentials. * when attempting to copy to any folder...
January 10th 08 11:29 AM
by MadMax Go to last post
2 173
"You need permission to perform this action" insanity by Oliver Costich
I just upgraded to Vista x64 from x86 XP and trying to do certain things is driving me nuts. I have a couple of folders I want to delete. They are not system related. In fact they are part of Adobe Acrobat 8. When I try to delete them I get "You need permission to perform this action". Here's what I have tried so far: UAC is off.
April 24th 09 01:23 AM
by Dave Warren Go to last post
9 241
"you need permission to perform this action" on network folder by darylh
Greetings, I am having a problem accessing folders that I made on a newly purchased external HD set up on my home network via a wireless router. I set up the HD (a 500GB drive in an USB enclosure) and formatted it using the Computer Management tools in Vista. It has 1 primary, active NTFS partition. With the drive plugged directly into my PC by USB, I was able to format the drive and create two...
November 12th 08 03:57 AM
by darvesh88 Go to last post
1 270
'Failed to fix security error' by Quoz
iv just done a clean install with vista. I now want to reinstall the drivers for my motherboard, so i insert the disc. However when i try to run the disc, there is an error message saying 'failed to fix security' then eventually the driver window opens from the disc, however there are no dirver options to install.
March 30th 07 11:10 PM
by wguimb Go to last post
2 216
'sudo' in Vista? by Jan Wagner
Hello, seeing that via the GUI now all applications have the shift + right-click popup menu with a Run as administrator entry, is there any way to achieve the same from command line using good old 'runas' or with a 'sudo' that will use the same GUI confirmation prompt of the UAC instead of prompting for password? - Jan
November 30th 06 08:14 AM
by Mike Shepperd Go to last post
3 197
'Windows Monitor' spyware?? by MC10
I have Windows Vista. Every now and then a very small window will pop up and it says 'Windows Monitor' on the top. If I try and click on it, it will go to the task bar and I can't bring it back up. If I roll my mouse on it, it will show what's on the screen, but the screen is blank. Is this Spyware? I did spyware and virus scans and nothing shows up, it is still coming up every now and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 07 11:47 AM
by Mark[_5_] Go to last post
15 376
(KB936181) Update by Toopay
Everyday I get this update; Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 and ever time I install it and the next day the same thing. It says that the update was installed, but the next day the same update, what's up with this? -- Zoommmm on down the road
July 19th 08 11:31 AM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
4 227
(recovery point)herstelpunt gebruiken by Ton Visser
I dont no the english word for it sorry (recovery point ??) If got another problem with Vista. That great new ting of MS. tryed to make a recovery point en let vista do its work.. Yhat al goes wel. The pc shuts down, makes a restart and then when its almost ready its says that it did not make a recovery point there was an error. Does any one else has that problem and how do we fix it?? Or...
July 15th 07 01:46 PM
by Ton Visser Go to last post
6 168
-- firewall -- by Edmundo J. Davila
Hello, What exception should I create in windows xp or vista firewall to get access to a computer in a LAN with the firewall activated. For example, I want to get access to c drive in a computer of the LAN with the firewall activated \\computername\c$ In advaced I appreciate your help.
March 27th 08 04:59 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
2 308
-- firewall de windows -- by Edmundo J. Davila
hola amigos, Que excepcion debo crear en el firewall de windows xp o vista de tal forma que si esta activo y desde otra localizacion de red quiero acceder un recurso como \\nombremaquina\C$ pueda hacerlo sin que me bloquee. De antemano gracias por la ayuda. Edmundo J. Davila
March 25th 08 11:21 PM
by Edmundo J. Davila Go to last post
0 267
-- firewall de windows -- by Edmundo J. Davila
hola amigos, Que excepcion debo crear en el firewall de windows xp o vista de tal forma que si esta activo y desde otra localizacion de red quiero acceder un recurso como \\nombremaquina\C$ pueda hacerlo sin que me bloquee. De antemano gracias por la ayuda. Edmundo J. Davila
March 25th 08 11:21 PM
by Edmundo J. Davila Go to last post
0 231
-- lock folders -- by Edmundo J. Davila
hi, Is there a way to protect a folder with password in windows vista business? In advance thanks for your help. Edmundo J. Davila
August 7th 08 09:53 AM
by Paul Montgomery Go to last post
6 227
-- new partition -- by Edmundo J. Davila
Hi, I just bought a notebook with windows vista business installed. It has a 120GB hard disk with one primary partition of 120GB. I would like to create 3 partitions of 40GB each one. Is there a way to do this with the disk management of windows vista?, if it's possible, how do I do this? In advance thanks for your help. Edmundo J. Davila
April 24th 07 02:12 AM
by Rock Go to last post
2 146
.fsLockFile by Mitigation Elf
I am trying to move files around on my Vista Home Premium 32 bit system. I have been unable to rename, move or delete a specific folder. I have been able to move all of the contents of the folder to a new folder except a file that is called .fsLockFile. I am not sure how it got there or where it came from but at this point, my conclusion is that file is the reason I have been unable to do...
September 14th 08 03:18 AM
by StephenB Go to last post
4 230
.mdb files in VISTA BUSINESS by RHill
Help please ....... Vista Business trying to troubleshoot .mdb file on a Vista Business installation. Using MS Office 2003 Access. I can view the file without issue on the Vista Business laptop but when I send it in a E-mail or even copy it to a storage directory on my network the ..mdb file shows 678 kb in size but when opened it is blank when bring opened by any other PC in my office or on...
May 7th 07 03:04 PM
by RHill Go to last post
0 163
.net 1.1 EXE in startup folder on VISTA by AC
Our application installs a .NET 1.1 EXE created with VB.NET into the startup folder on the PC. This works perfectly on Win98SE and XP. If the User Access Control is OFF on Vista, it also works perfectly there. However, if the UAC is on, the program is BLOCKED. I tried to build a manifest file.... assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" asmv3:trustInfo...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 14th 07 08:59 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post

From The