Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Reverse Sort Order Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Antispyware alternative by Alice
Is there an antispyware alternative to Windows Defender? Using Windows Vista a Pre-RC1. Thanks in advance, Alice
September 10th 06 06:41 PM
by foxbat1126 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
6 571
Windows Security Center reports antivirius that have been removed by Pgo
Trying to get an antivirius that works with Vista I have installed and then fullly unistalled 2 antivirius. The windows security center still reports that I have an antivirius and lists the two that were on my machine. Checked services and running programs and found no traces of the antivirius program Scanned the registry for the name listed in the security center and found no match (1) How...
September 12th 06 02:02 PM
by Pgo Go to last post
3 487
Security prompt everytime I start Internet Explorer by Thomas Jespersen
Hi I'm running on a fresh installation of Windows Vista RC1 with Office 2007 installed. Every time I start Internet Explorer (both form the IE Shortcut and from a mail in Outlook 2007) I get a security warning: "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer"
September 11th 06 08:39 AM
by Tony Hoyle Go to last post
3 523
Autorun CD Disc-Based Web Site in Vista by RussellS
Not a time-sensitive emergency, as Vista won't be RTM for a couple months, but... I'm a small system builder who has always issued a Drivers & Programs CD/DVD with all systems sold. These CDs are basically simple disc-based webs, using basic html with an index.htm page, having basic hyperlink navigation to other pages on the disc for various component driver instruction pages, along with a...
September 11th 06 06:54 PM
by RussellS Go to last post
0 502
Microsoft Certificate Services by johnnytaco
Trying to create a cert within Microsoft Certificate Services in Vista RC1, http://myserver/certsrv/certrqma.asp, I get the following error: You need to install the following CSPs before the enrollment, Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0, and Microsoft Base Cryptopgraphic Provider v1.0. I haven't found the resolution - anyone have any ideas? Thanks
September 12th 06 08:43 PM
by Brian Komar [MVP] Go to last post
1 516
Yahoo Online Protection by abroami
Yahoo antivirus constantly turns itself off after I turn it on. This happened with Vista Beta 2 and RC1? What gives?
September 12th 06 04:51 AM
by MICHAEL Go to last post
1 469
Vista Permissions by Kilgore Trout
Ok, I'm at a total loss, access is denied to my user folders (video, music ect) I've disabled UAC, edited every local security policy that looked relevant and tried to take ownwrship via properties . the security tab shows I have read and write permission, but acces is still demied. I also can't edit any permissions on the tab, access is denied to that also. I love RC1, but Joe average...
September 13th 06 07:40 AM
by Kilgore Trout Go to last post
0 469
How to create a file in "Public" on vista OS? by Ricmy_zhu
hello. I use following code to create a file in my programe CFileException Error; CFile oFile; UINT nFlags = CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite; try { if (oFile.Open(oPath, nFlags,Error)) { oFile.Close();
September 13th 06 09:34 AM
by Ricmy_zhu Go to last post
0 483
Security Center & Antivirus software by Al Christoph
1. I had AVG (free) running with the August bits. 2. I installed RC1 as an upgrade. Went in smooooooth. I didn't even have to use any grease. 3. RC1 complained about not being able to talk to AVG and offered TrendMicro. 4. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled AVG and fiddled around with defender so that AVG runs properly. (Don't ask for the why of what I did. It was the first time I...
September 13th 06 12:24 PM
by Al Christoph Go to last post
0 462
TechTAK Today by Raven Mill
Hi again folks... Just wanted to remind everyone about TechTAK. This week we begin announcing ways to be entered into our grand prize drawing of a custom built gaming system from Raven, so be sure to listen in. Show airs from 6-8pm AKDT every Saturday. That's 7-9pm Pacific, and 10-midnight Eastern, in the US. (6-8pm GMT-9) http://www.techtak.com
September 9th 06 10:51 PM
by Raven Mill Go to last post
0 559
No access to files by kfoutts
I've found that even as Admin there is a lot to Vista with No Access. I just downloaded the 64bit version RC1, the download - like others was saved to the virtualized directory. The download showed complete, I closed the downloader but the file remains in the virtualized directory - to which I don't have access. I even activated the adminsitrator account, logged on, searched, no .iso...
September 11th 06 02:17 PM
by kfoutts Go to last post
4 636
BitLocker: How does Diffuser work? by tavis
Hi Jamie, Has the paper you mention below providing details of Diffuser and the overall encryption algorithm available yet? If not, a question: Can you describe a bit more about how a 256-bit AES key is used to "mix up the bits" (all 512 bytes) of an *entire* sector, when the key itself is only 32 bytes long? Thanks!
September 8th 06 06:43 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 711
Bitlocker doesn't work in this build. by MICHAEL
In Beta 2, you could use Bitlocker to encrypt your Vista volume even if you did not have "TPM". That is no longer an option. Pathetic, but expected. I just knew Microsoft was going to mess that up. -Michael
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 8th 06 06:18 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
10 940
Antivirus fo Pre-RC1: BSOD installing AVG, avast not working, PC-Cillin OK by Peter Meinl
I got a blue screen when installing AVG antivirus trial. Cannot use avast because of a known problem with is said to be fixed in RC1. PC-cillin seems to work. Only hat to reenable the Vista firewall which PC-cillin setup did disable even though I selected minimum install (without their firewall).
September 12th 06 08:28 PM
by Gopher_By_Fender Go to last post
5 740
Need Working Antivirus Solution by PhilMaznyk
Has anyone had complete success (zero issues) yet with any antivirus software in build 5536. I need to know of one that works completely and without any issues. Thanks. Phil.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 10th 06 07:21 PM
by drahnier Go to last post
19 778
Bitlocker by Or Tsemah
I have two question that i need to clarify? First, How not having a TPM chip affects bitlocker? is it the early-boot component that i require? because i understand that i CAN use a USB for this Second, if i take a Bitlocker encripted disk and plug it as a secondary drive on another computer, how can i read it (For restore purposes) Thanks. Or.
September 8th 06 06:13 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
6 751
how can I delete registry key value in HKLM by Rastlin Chen
Hey! I write a driver for usb device. I can call UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices to replace inbox driver with my driver when device is on system. But if device is not on system, I must delete HKLM/CurrentControlSet/ Enum/USB/{ID Value} to force device recgonize when it replug on system. In XP I can delete it, but how can I do it in Vista? Thanks a lot!
September 8th 06 01:42 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
2 523
Using bitlocker to isolate users' data by Roof Fiddler
I have a machine that has no TPM hardware. The machine needs to run Vista. Multiple users each need to be able to power up and shut down the computer by themselves, and store their data on the machine's hard drive. Also, each user wants assurance that if any other user pulls the hard drive and reads it in another machine, then that latter user can't read the former user's data. If a user...
September 8th 06 06:02 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 537
Security center by Frédéric ESNOUF \(ISA MVP\)
Hi guys, I can see that now on vista, you have different sections in the security center. One of them is called "Other Security Settings". I would like to add a program in this list, and I wonder how to do it (and I imagine that there are a few APIs also). Can you advise me ?
September 8th 06 04:04 AM
by Frédéric ESNOUF \(ISA MVP\) Go to last post
0 538
ICMP Ping on vista by Or Tsemah
Did someone Managed to get the old ICMP Ping to work on vista RC1? I realy need it to work again Thanks. Or.
September 13th 06 12:28 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post

From The