Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
DEP Problem by Andrew
Hi, There, I'm run automation in Windows Server 2008, DEP blocked my program everytime i run it. I have another two machines with the same hardware, windows server 2008 installed. There is no problem when those automation program run at the other two machines. i tried to exclude my automation program from exclusion, but not allowed. I also tried to turn on DEP for essential programs only,...
March 22nd 09 06:16 PM
by Drezpc Go to last post
1 277
Help with permissions (ntfs) by rick
Not sure if this is the correct group for this assistance but here's the problem. My computer is a Dell XPS 420, Vista Home Premium, my account has administrator privileges. My wife's computer is a Dell Dimension E520, Vista Ultimate, her account has admin privileges. We run OneCare Live for all security and backup needs.
March 22nd 09 06:04 PM
by Drezpc Go to last post
6 249
GOOGLE EARTH - ERROR INSTALLATION MESSAGE by Paul Wogstad
When I try to install Google Earth on my computer (using i.e.8), I get a error message code 0x8004905 and the message which discontinue the installation. Do anyone have any idea what this means and how to correct it?
March 22nd 09 04:41 AM
by Peter Foldes[_2_] Go to last post
1 317
GOOGLE EARTH - ERROR INSTALLATION MESSAGE by Paul Wogstad
When I try to install Google Earth on my computer (using i.e.), I get a error message code 0x8004905 and the message which discontinue the installation. Do anyone have any idea what this means and how to correct it?
March 21st 09 03:40 PM
by Paul Wogstad Go to last post
0 268
How to access a registry entry wo no access rights by David Thielen
Hi; We have a problem where one of our customers has installed our software which is an AddIn to Microsoft Office. The registry entries that tell Word where to find this AddIn cannot be accessed by any user, even when the user logs in as administrator and and does a RunAs as the administrator. He is not on a domain and got his computer from BestBuy where they "optimized" Vista for him. One...
March 19th 09 11:09 PM
by MBUnit Go to last post
3 392
What permissions should we set by David Thielen
Hi; In our installer we want to make sure all users can read the registry entries we set in HKCR & HKLM. Our app is an Office AddIn and these are the settings needed for Office to load the AddIn. It's not sufficient to use the currently running user because in many cases it's an admin installing the program and a different user running it. We also cannot use domain groups because the user may...
March 19th 09 08:50 PM
by David Thielen Go to last post
0 445
VersionManager.exe by Phil Rhodes
I keep getting this pop-up on my new HP laptop. My on-board security tells me it's from an unknown source. What the heck is it? Google search is not turning up many inquiries about this, and no answers; only place to download the thing. My own theory is that Norton, etc put this stuff out to keep you paronoid! Is anyone else getting this?
March 19th 09 01:58 PM
by michbskee Go to last post
6 1,521
Installer: No elevated privileges on Vista during change? by ckasabula
Vista is offering elevated privileges (UAC) for uninstall and repair, but is _not_ doing so for change. Our uninstall and repair options bring up an elevation prompt. Change does not, and out installer fails as a result. This is via Control Panel / Programs and Features. Is this expected behavior? If so, why? Something we are doing wrong?
March 17th 09 05:13 PM
by ckasabula Go to last post
0 286
How to start cmd.exe BOTH as administrator locally AND domain admin? by HAL07[_2_]
The new security model of Vista is nice. But I have the following problem: Some administrative actions cannot be started even if it's run under Domain Admins. e.g. if I am domain admin and type NET STOP SPOOLER as domain admin, you get Access denied on the local Vista system. I then made a shortcut for C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c runas /user:domain\adminuser cmd.exe which will start CMD as...
March 17th 09 10:55 AM
by HAL07[_2_] Go to last post
2 304
Delete *.dll on 64bit by pois90
Hi, I created a backup from uxtheme.dll in system32 folder and patched it afterwards. Now i want to unpatch it because my vista theme is only grey. :( I cannot delete, rename or do anything other with that dll because there is only written: access denied because i haven't got the access authorisation for it.
March 17th 09 01:19 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
1 297
Windows Parental Control by grumpy567
Hi, I am trying to find a instant messenger that i can go on aim with thats not supported by Parental controls. Currently i am using Pidgin Portable off a u3 flash drive. I would like to know if Parental controls can still log conversations off of Pidgin. Thank you for any help ~Jamal --
March 17th 09 12:34 AM
by grumpy567 Go to last post
0 281
remote parental controls access by mike
greetings. how can i access parential controls remotely to monitor my childrens activity on thier laptops? the laptops are running windows vista. basic and it is on a LAN connected to the internet. each child has their own laptop. so having me sneek in to thier rooms at night to go in to the admin account just to view thier activity is a pain. but if there was a way to do it remotely it would...
March 16th 09 01:56 PM
by Paul Wogstad Go to last post
5 340
Turn Off password??? by dbacs
I followed the guide http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66966-logon-automatically.html When i did this: *::2.::* In the white line (Start Search) area, type *netplwiz* *or* *control userpasswords2* and press Enter.... nothing happens. I can't get to the User Account window shown on that page.:cry:
March 15th 09 10:39 PM
by Peter Foldes[_2_] Go to last post
3 284
verizon.exe by Phil Rhodes
I'm getting a pop-up during some (but not all) boot ups in the morning. It gives me the option of allowing it or cancelling it - cancelling means I don't know what the program is and don't want it to load. What the heck is going on? Is this mal-ware? Is it already on my computer? My mal-ware scans with Ad-Aware don't mention it. Nor do scans by Windows Defender. But it's spooky....
March 15th 09 06:07 PM
by Michael D. Ober Go to last post
6 306
default.pif by Matt Dwyer
How do you edit the file c:\windows\_default.pif? I see it is very well protected.
March 14th 09 09:18 PM
by jacobwessel Go to last post
2 261
Keyboard and Touchpad Crashes When Installing Update KB890830 by PA Bear [MS MVP]
You paid for BitDefender support with your subscription: What have they had to say about all this? Both Bit Defender and MSRT KB890830 are recognising and deleting the file US30Kbd2K.sys as a trojan - but they are not deleting/modifying the associated registry entries. Have you tried to delete them manually? ...I suspect this version may have come from a P2P source
March 14th 09 06:13 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
2 232
Vista secure email problem: Cannot connect to email server when specific digital id is installed by rejohnson[_2_]
I imported a personal digital certificate from an XP machine running Outlook Express onto my Vista Home Premium (32 bit) laptop. With the certificate installed, Windows Mail instantly (either when mail is started, or when send/receive is clicked) gives the error message below: "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network...
March 14th 09 05:09 PM
by lilbear67 Go to last post
3 238
Problems Changing Account Type by thisismyname
Somehow one of the standard accounts on my computer was changed to an administrator. Now I can't change it back. I have tried changing it from the account and from another administrator account, and when I click "Change Account Type", nothing happens. Does anyone know why the account type would have changed in the first place, or how to get it to change back? Thanks --
March 14th 09 07:08 AM
by housetrained Go to last post
1 239
Vista explorer can write to network folder but app can't? by Mark B[_3_]
I have a Microsoft Access database runtime application (split front end/back end) that normally runs fine with the backend data file (BackendData.mdb) sitting on a shared network folder. I have been contacted by a user who says he's getting a 'No permission' error when the front-end app tries to write to the BackendData.mdb file in the network folder. He says however that through the...
March 13th 09 11:57 PM
by MBUnit Go to last post
1 262
How do I set up UAC such that I only have to click 'Continue'?? by tom12010[_2_]
I recently set up Vista Business on a notebook in an AD domain. Then I added the domain admin account into the *local* administrators account based on this blog: 'Manoj Nagpal's Blog | Add domain user to local vista administrator group' (http://www.manojn.com/blog/post/2008/06/20/Add-domain-user-to-local-vista-administrator-group.aspx) However, I am still required to actually type the...
March 12th 09 12:08 PM
by tom12010[_2_] Go to last post

From The