Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
SVCHOST.exe Keeps on Running and Ruins My Computers Performance!!... by Ken[_18_]
This file called SVCHOST.exe is consuming my RAM, hard drive, CPU and everything on my Vista machine to capacity use. I know the real one is a necessary program, but there are many copies of this file working simultaneously here and my performance is down to a crawl or a crash. I've looked everywhere for a solution and have tried a couple to no avail. I get no working answers from anyone....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 4th 09 07:57 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
11 377
Posting messages by Dion Lee
Hi im having problems posting messages on newsgroups.i will post a reply and i get a returned message saying (returnd message),I can post a question message,but thats it.can anyone help?
March 3rd 09 09:41 AM
by Gordon[_8_] Go to last post
1 227
What is 'Mia.lib'? by @@@lgyys[_6_]
Hi. I have changed recently my AV from Norton to Kaspersky. And full scan shows that there are 3 vulnerebility files, moderately dangerous: c:\Program Data\{83C91755-2546-441D-AC40-9A6B4B860800}\mia.lib c:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\mia95DA.tmp\mia.lib c:\Users\All Users\{83C91755-2546-441D-AC40-9A6B4B860800}\mia.lib I checked all downloaded programs at that day, thats AdAwareAE, (anniversary...
March 2nd 09 11:20 PM
by @@@lgyys[_7_] Go to last post
2 272
Firewall problem by davidberq
I have a zinio program that allows me to get magazines online and my license does not work. I have tryed contacting zinio and they told me it is a firewall problem. I have attempted to turn off all the firewalls that are runinig and it still does not solve the problem. I am running windows vista ultimate. I turned off the windows firewall and disabled windows defender. I had AdAware and...
March 2nd 09 10:54 PM
by DL Go to last post
2 209
Security Alert Error Message by Caillah
I am attempting to download Real Player and am getting the error message, "your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". I use Vista. I am the Administrator and have turned off the UAC, shut down my firewall, turned off my Anti-Virus, have opened up the Security box and enabled downloads, and anything else in Scripts and Active X. I added the website to the trusted...
March 2nd 09 07:03 PM
by MowGreen [MVP] Go to last post
3 289
Error registering OCX by horiageorg[_2_]
I got the famous message "'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid." when I tried to reconnect to Internet through my Huawei 3G USB key (in France, from SFR), My 3G Internet connection had stopped working while uninstalling the last trail version of Bitdefender (moreover, Vista's uninstaller leaves a whole folder in place!),.
March 2nd 09 06:27 PM
by horiageorg[_2_] Go to last post
0 193
windows found that this file is potentially harmful - .js extensio by Tina
I have googled my brains out and I can't find the answer. I have zipped files that contain javascript files. The extension is .js. Windows Vista will extract all the files but the .js because it says windows found that this file is potentially harmful. The zipped file is on my desktop, not still in email, not in messenger. Defender is disabled. Windows firewall is disabled. I'm running...
March 2nd 09 04:57 PM
by angeleyes Go to last post
7 234
Windows 7 Beta password issue by Mark
The password I am using with my Windows 7 Beta system expired. When I try to change it, Windows responds with "The specified procedure could not be found". This has basically put my beta test to an abrupt end. I have also tried going into Safe Mode but the same issue occurs. Any advice would be helpful.
March 2nd 09 04:35 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
3 212
reg change denied by pdw
I'm trying to get my Zen V+ mp3 player to work in Vista. According to Creative's KB, I need to allow the Everyone group in (lm-sys-cur ctrl set-usb) to have full permissions on the USB key. However, when I try to make the change, Vista gives me an Access Denied error. I am running under Administrator account.
March 1st 09 06:42 AM
by staicomp Go to last post
4 200
Erisson FREE Laptop by Eudoneia
Ericsson is distributing free laptops for their brand promotion. They hope to increase their popularity and sale by this campaign. All you need to do is send an email about this promotion to 8 people and you will receive an Ericsson T18 Laptop. However, if you send an email to 20 or more people, you will receive an Ericsson R320 Laptop. Make sure you cc to Anna at Ericsson so that she will...
February 28th 09 11:19 PM
by Test Go to last post
3 226
Ad aware and suspicious DLL file by Matt Woods
Hello, I have recently upgraded my Ad-aware spyware detector to their anniversary edition and it has flagged a DLL file as suspicious- the file is C\WINDOWS\SMNST\WNASPNTDLL I have read that the new version of Ad-aware flags some of windows critical files ie false alarms -I would be grateful to know whether this DLL file is
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 28th 09 08:57 PM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
19 525
Opening emails by Kristy Sammons
When I open certain email. Sends an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set associations control panel. How do I do this?
February 28th 09 10:18 AM
by Rojo Habe[_3_] Go to last post
2 224
F-secure and junction points by Mervita
Hi! I've got a problem with F-secure Client security and Vista junction points named application data. The virus scan gets stuck in these recursive folder structures or the scan takes ~6h. The folder is: \\?\C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\ where Application data appears 14 times. I've understood that this might be a problem with a particular
February 27th 09 08:19 PM
by Adrian Accinelli[_2_] Go to last post
3 227
turn off user account control by John A Grandy[_2_]
How to turn off User Account Control ? The endless prompts are driving me batty ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 27th 09 06:17 PM
by Paul Smith Go to last post
37 704
Installing Applications on Network Shares by Smurfman
In a Windows 2003 Domain, AD, using a Vista Ultimate 64bit machine. I am trying to run installation programs from a network drive or mapped drive. When I execute for example a program.msi file I get an installation error: "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid...
February 27th 09 02:16 AM
by Tim Quan [MSFT] Go to last post
4 175
Windows has found this file is potentially harmful by Art
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate with Windows Defender Disabled and Norton Internet Security 2009 installed. Someone who is completely trusted sent me an email with an attachment. The attachment was defined as a ZIPP file. I copied the file to my desktop and renamed it to a ZIP file to access the enclosed files. Within the ZIP are four OCX files which I need to copy to my System32...
February 26th 09 11:33 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
6 215
Rootkit Revealer by Zareba
I searched but could not find an answer here so I am asking. Can Rootkit Revealer from Sysinternals be used successfully on Vista SP1? The day after I joined Facebook last week, my address book was used to send spam in my name to everyone on my contact list. I have scanned with Windows Defender, Avast, Malware Bites, Super Antispyware, Hijack This, and Stinger. Everything says I am clean. I...
February 26th 09 12:35 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
7 544
Regarding my Group by Tiffany[_2_]
Hi I ma related to my this group http://groups.google.com/group/247-technical-support. If you will join my group i will highly obliged to you. Want more information about me you can get here http://wwww.iyogi.net Tiffany
February 25th 09 10:23 AM
by Tiffany[_2_] Go to last post
0 242
Uninstalling AVG by Lisa[_5_]
I'm trying to install Kasperkey. I have uninstalled AVG however, I get a message that AVG is installed and to remove it before I can proceed. I search the PC for AVG and found one file left and removed. I got the same message that AVG was still installed. I then went into safe mode and did an entire search and location one more folder which was a toolbar and removed that. I still get a...
February 25th 09 02:12 AM
by Jack the Ripper[_4_] Go to last post
5 223
Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. TO THE TOP by I.C. Greenfields
Some of us want to choose what "gets out" and what doesn't. And this info doesn't work since there is nowhere to make such a change in the Windows Firewall window that comes up. Configure it - HOW? Can someone explain how it's configured to actually work without being a programmer writing strange unknown confusing rules for everything that wants to connect to the net? If not, can someone...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 25th 09 01:58 AM
by Jack the Ripper[_4_] Go to last post
103 1,722