Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Reverse Sort Order Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Avast and RC1 by Scott Doyle
I've installed the latest version of Avast (4.7.871) tonight on RC1 and Vista security says it's incompatable and disables the drivers. On the Avast home page they state that Avast is now compatible with all versions of Vista. So... what's up with this? Scott
September 18th 06 10:13 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
5 530
Anti-Virus Software by Panarchy
Hi! I've got Windows Vista RC1 (5600) and I've been using AVG Anti-Virus. I am not very impressed with it. Can some one please suggest a better one? I've heard Avast is good, but if it isn't I don't want to download bad software. Thanks in advanced.
September 19th 06 06:30 PM
by BChat Go to last post
3 516
Independent software developers installations will not install. RC1 Install Shield by Tom D
Here is an installation problem that I have discovered using RC1. Sorry if it has already been reported. I use a program called MMB (Multimedia Builder) It creates an autorun menu for application installations. An installation CD will have one or more folders, one for each application. Inside each folder is "Setup.exe" and other needed files created with "Install Shield". When you click a...
September 19th 06 01:17 PM
by Tom D Go to last post
0 541
Issues on My Laptop (HELP!!) by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 19th 06 05:31 PM
by JukEboX Go to last post
0 519
Issues on My Laptop (HELP!!) by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 19th 06 05:31 PM
by JukEboX Go to last post
0 507
Issues On Lapop (HELP!!) by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 20th 06 11:03 AM
by abckid Go to last post
2 530
Need Help !!! by JukEboX
These are the latest issues that are going on with windows vista. Can anyone help with the symantec issues. Here is the information Review Use for Window Vista Ultimate RC1 (Build 5600) x32-Bit Version x86 Dell Latitude 620 Latitude T2500 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Intel 945 Intel Graphics Accelerator 1.99 GB RAM
September 19th 06 06:13 PM
by Lincoln 6 Echo Go to last post
1 549
Vista RC1 - AntiVirus Solutions..?? which ones actually work? by Snadge
Have Microsoft FORCED us to install Trend Micro because they (Trend Micro) are Contractors to Microsoft supplying AV's on thier servers (probably to get price cuts for forcing customers thier way) I tried 3 AV's (Bit Defender 9 and 10 / Kaspersky & AntiVirus Personal) but ALL didnt work and yet the security centre led me to Trend Micro Have any other testers had any other AV's working on...
September 19th 06 10:17 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
3 585
Lan Settings in IE by DanF400007
I installed Vista RC1 yesterday and have now connected it to a domain this morning. Now if I log on as a local administrator the LAN Settings in Internet Explorer are grey'd out. Nothing is set the local policy, does Vista apply its GPO's in a different way than XP? Or is this just a bug?
September 20th 06 08:15 AM
by DanF400007 Go to last post
0 488
Anti-Virus Software by Panarchy
Hi! I've got Windows Vista RC1 (5600) and I've been using AVG Anti-Virus. I am not very impressed with it. Can some one please suggest a better one? I've heard Avast is good, but if it isn't I don't want to download bad software. Thanks in advanced.
September 20th 06 04:19 AM
by Panarchy Go to last post
3 514
Anti-Virus Software by Panarchy
Hi! I've got Windows Vista RC1 (5600) and I've been using AVG Anti-Virus. I am not very impressed with it. Can some one please suggest a better one? I've heard Avast is good, but if it isn't I don't want to download bad software. Thanks in advanced.
September 19th 06 07:54 AM
by Panarchy Go to last post
0 530
Trend PC-cillin won't work on RC1 by Richard Lundgren
I just upgraded from beta to RC1, I had trend beta for vista already installed but when I upgraded, PCcillin will not load. I tried to uninstal it and I get error. I tried to reinstall it and I get an error when the new install tries to uninstall the current instal. I tried to delete the trend folder in explorer and windows won't let me, it says I need permision but I am the administrator. I...
September 18th 06 11:03 AM
by Vista boy Go to last post
6 676
Disabling UAC doesn't actually decrease security? by Roof Fiddler
With UAC enabled in Vista build 5536, I get confirmation prompts in admin accounts, and I get password dialog boxes in standard user accounts. And of course standard users can't read each other's home directories. Then I ran secpol.msc and under Local Policies\Security Options I disabled User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode, and then rebooted. Now, as expected,...
September 19th 06 10:00 PM
by Michael Palumbo Go to last post
4 761
Using the firewall to prevent phoning home by Roof Fiddler
How can I set the firewall to grant current (default Vista settings) internet access to all currently installed programs, but ask for confirmation before granting any newly installed programs outbound internet access in the future (so I can prevent newly installed programs from phoning home, but not break any programs I already have installed)?
September 17th 06 10:39 AM
by abckid Go to last post
1 503
About IEGetWriteablefolder by Kenen
Dear All: In the document, I found that we can get a writeable folder using IEGerWriteablefolder with argument FORDERID_InternetCache. But when I call the function, 1411 error occur. And the result showing E_NOTIMPL. I am using the Windows Vista RC1 (v5600-16384) for X86. Is it really not implemented now? Or I made some mistake?
September 17th 06 09:17 AM
by Kenen Go to last post
0 489
how to recover from sleep mode by Justin
I have not experienced this problem since setting Sleep to NEVER BUT as a preventative measure, just make sure you really have covered sleep mode settings for all power schemes. "loopist" wrote: Has anybody had this problem, even though they had the power options to NEVER go to sleap mode? I'll leave mine for a couple hours and when I come back it looks like it went into sleep mode...
September 17th 06 12:39 PM
by Justin Go to last post
0 477
how to recover from sleep mode by Justin
Really!!!! This has been a problem that I've experienced from day 1 on previous builds and considering that MS is billing the rapid resume from sleep as a feature and benefit, I think that it should really be fixed, presumably by the retail release. It's annoying isn't it? I mean, it works once or twice and then never again! ? "Larry" wrote: how do you recover from the sleep mode i hit...
September 17th 06 12:40 PM
by Justin Go to last post
0 476
AntiVirus Sotware on 64-bit Vista by ChrisP
I tried to install the EZVirus by the Comuter Associates - a Free Trial for Vista users. It caused a serious file corruption that I was able to rectify by diskchk in Widows XP Home, Vista and using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 from my XP platform. Vista seems to be running stable now, but I am not protected against the viruses!
September 18th 06 10:10 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
1 547
Installing Flash and Adobe by MM@work
"That internal security thing".....could you be a little more specific? "peter" wrote in message ... I do...............I just went to the website and downloaded the installer.It did the rest. But then I have that internal security check thing turned off.I was getting tired of it asking me each time. peter
September 18th 06 03:41 PM
by MM@work Go to last post
0 541
LAN Settings in IE by DanF400007
I installed Vista RC1 yesterday and has been working fine. This morning I connected it up to my domain and still works ok. My only problem is that if I log on as a local administrator the ability to change the Proxy settings in IE are disabled. This doesn't happen for our XP machines. I've check the local policy and can't see anything to cause this problem. Any suggestions, or is this a...
September 20th 06 08:19 AM
by DanF400007 Go to last post

From The