Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Security Center failed by David
i get this strange error message when i want to acces Security Center from Control panel: so thers a popup named: Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avalible. Now i got 2 choiceses: Debug or Close program.
March 28th 07 02:00 AM
by r9site Go to last post
8 284
Password by David
I have inadvertantly activated the administrator password, which I do not remember, in Vista home premium and now I can't access my computer at all. I do not have a password reset disk that the PC is asking me for. Is there a way that I can deactivate the passsword funtion? My email is
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 9th 08 06:50 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
13 403
Windows Mail GPO by David Calzada
This policy setting does not work for me: "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Mail\Turn off Windows Mail Application" = enabled. Windows Mail still opens. Similar setting for Movie Maker works just fine.
April 1st 07 04:54 AM
by Go to last post
2 153
Software Restriction Policy (SRS) problems by David Calzada
Sorry for my bad english. I think I have found a serious bug in software restriction policies. Can someone test this issue?: If you have two volumes or partitions, like C:\ and E:\, and if you setup SRS with default settings and you DO NOT ALLOW E:\ path in SRS you cannot open ..txt files (as an example) or whatever.
March 29th 07 05:47 PM
by David Calzada Go to last post
4 203
Cannot access local shares via the Network window by David Dickinson
Hello, I am logged in as a sub-administrator (not as the "super" administrator) into Vista Biz. I've created a folder, "Test" and shared it only with the Administrators group (of which my login account is a member -- it is NOT a member of the Users group). (I've turned off the Sharing Wizard and set up the shares via the Advanced Sharing button). I can access the folder in by it's path in...
June 13th 07 10:35 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
5 94
error kb944533 by David E
i have installed this about a million times and have tried everything it downloads fine and then i start the computer, it gets about 66% and then it configures errors an sets back to old setting, what is going on? -- David E, Yep thats me!!!
February 22nd 08 03:36 AM
by David E Go to last post
0 299
error kb944533 by David E
i have installed this about a million times and have tried everything it downloads fine and then i start the computer, it gets about 66% and then it configures errors an sets back to old setting, what is going on? -- David E, Yep thats me!!!
February 28th 08 12:17 AM
by WEASEL3000 Go to last post
8 236
Administrator problem in vista ultimate 32 by David Garner
I have setup only one account in vista 32 bit unltimate and vista says that i am not the adeministrator, but in user accounts i am the administrator. If i go into safe mode and try to log in as administrator then vista says that the administrator account has been blocked. So i am not able to download e.g. adobe acrobat reader and although the drivers are installed i cant connect to my mobile...
February 11th 07 04:58 AM
by Robert Firth Go to last post
2 139
What Antivirus Products Show Up in Vista by David H
I have tried AVG, Avast and Kaspersky and none of these are recognised in the Security Center in Vista Home Prremium. Could anyone advise me of the antivirus software it does detect or if this could be a problem with my vista upgrade which was from XP.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 13th 07 09:38 PM
by Rock Go to last post
38 529
Standard user - start Explorer as Admin doesn't work by David Hearn
I have 2 users on my Vista RTM box - 1 Admin, 1 Standard. Admin user can type Explorer into the search/run box, right click on Windows Explorer and select Start as Administrator. UAC pops up, I click OK and it starts as expected. When I try the same steps using the Standard user, I get the same menu options, UAC pops up asking for the password of the Admin user (as expected), but when I...
January 11th 07 05:35 PM
by Lionel Fourquaux Go to last post
5 133
security update by David Jones
my system continually gets installation error for excell for the latest security update for office 2003 excell
August 20th 07 04:52 PM
by David Jones Go to last post
2 200
Account Permissions Problem? by David L
I'm a new Vista user and I'm trying to get used to it. I fear I might have hosed something. I must have installed something bad and was getting BSODs early in the boot process. I had to do a system restore to yesterday and the BSODs appear to be gone. I thought (not 100% sure) that previously when I was running as a standard user, then when I went into regedit, I got a couple of UAC popups...
October 14th 07 11:18 AM
by BillD Go to last post
7 222
How to get simple folder encryption in Vista Home Premium? by David Mayerovitch
In Windows XP you could get simple encryption of your files by compressing them into a zip folder and applying a password. You could carry these files around on a CD or a USB stick and be confident that you could decrypt them on pretty much any Windows system you visited. Microsoft has provided industrial-strength encryption for the high-end versions of Vista, but for some reason seem to...
May 1st 07 04:34 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 231
Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive by David Mayerovitch
I'm running Vista Home Premium. I want to create a password reset disk using a CD. My CD/DVD/RW drive is E:. Windows Explorer also shows four other available drives: F:, G:, H: and I:. (I don't know why they are there, as there are no physical drives associated with them.) When I run the Forgotten Password Wizard, which is supposed to allow me to create a password reset disk on a CD or a USB...
November 4th 08 04:17 AM
by David Mayerovitch Go to last post
3 299
Password reset disk - CD not recognized by David Mayerovitch
Windows Vista Home Premium, Dell XPS M1210 notebook: Microsoft and third-party documentation of the Password Reset feature indicates that removable media that can be used for the Password Reset Disk include floppy disks, USB drives, and CDs. In creating a Password Reset Disk, however, I find that only my USB drive is recognized as a possible destination, even though I have a recordable CD in...
April 30th 07 11:30 PM
by Charlene Shepard [MSFT] Go to last post
1 171
Re-enabling Bitlocker by David N
I decrypted my hard drive after encrypting it with bitlocker, however now I can’t seem to encrypt my hard drive with Bitlocker again.
April 1st 07 09:16 PM
by David N Go to last post
8 161
How to disable Open File - Security Warning dialog box in Windows Vista? by David Ocampo
Dear Windows Vista Community, Every time I want to open a .url file using the customized Links menu on the deskbar (channel bar), I get a dialog box with a security warning message "Do you want to open this file?" How do I disable this security warning dialog box from popping up? I am confident my Avast! virus definitions will detect and intercept any virus or spyware attached to any url...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 2nd 09 06:50 PM
by JonBoyFishhead[_3_] Go to last post
17 766
A security scare by David Pilditch
Good afternoon, I'm currently running Windows Vista Ultimate with two monitors, with my left hand one being my main monitor. Recently there has been a box in the top-left hand corner of the main monitor that will not respond when I click on it, and I have no idea what it is. I also seem to be unable to remove it. Does anyone know what it is or what I can do about it?
May 20th 07 11:28 PM
by Davcal Go to last post
3 135
Security hole? by David Sherman
I tried to retrofit a "windows XP" machine into a Windows Vista machine for the past 2 days. My problems including no sound and no modem and a machine that wouldn't boot with a new sound card or an external USB device attached to it. I can live with the failure of retrofitting. But I can't live with the following: For some reason , known only to Microsoft and / or Symantec, both
May 21st 09 02:32 PM
by Jesper Ravn Go to last post
4 215
Vista media player question by David Sherman
For some reasons, I see an icon is the system tray that states "Windows media player found". I have noticed this when I was at an airport. This icon is pointing to my Windows xp machine. Also I have noticed this behavior when I had 2 Vista machine side by side. When I at the airport, I was unable to determine what type of machine I was near. yes, I have a firewall and antivirus. I use NIS 2009....
May 26th 09 11:11 AM
by Anthony Baratta Go to last post

From The