Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Update Page missing not fully displayed by gregolson65
I have been unable to find my answer to the update page. When I go to windows update the page comes up but it is missing a lot of icons and I am unable to control the page. Plus my updates are out of whack because I cannot review my history and check for updates that are not being installed correctly. Please help....greg
December 20th 08 12:08 AM
by MowGreen [MVP] Go to last post
3 356
cant open files from old hard-drive by aaronofyo
i recently got new computer with vista home premium x64. i attached the harddrive from my old xp computer (w/external case) so i can get all the files from it, but when i try to open the files it says i dont have permission. ive managed to use the security tab to "replace owner and subcontainers on objects" while changing the owner, for some of the files (mostly mp3's) but this is very tedious....
December 19th 08 08:27 PM
by Leo Go to last post
7 410
Windows Defender (Vista) keep being told to Check for new definitions by Dave Horne[_2_]
I am using Vista Home Premium, SP1, with the latest updates for WU and Defender .... I think. I see the orange oval with the black exclamation mark on the Windows Defender System Tray icon and am asked to check for new definitions. I do, there are no new definitions and yet I keep seeing that exclamation mark advising me to do something. I did a scan, rebooted the computer (even though I...
December 19th 08 12:00 PM
by Jim Moriarty Go to last post
4 325
MSN Toolbar included with Sun Java Security 'updates' by MowGreen [MVP]
Beware of the *opt-out* behavior of Sun's java automatic updater. In the US, at least, the MSN toolbar comes PREchecked and will install along with purported java 'security' updates. Said 'security' updates are presented as the latest version of Sun's java runtime. Including crappy toolbars with security updates as an opt-out is a REALLY dumb, shortsighted decision. Shame on MS for doing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 18th 08 08:33 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
38 1,139
ÈFÈUÈbÈqÈZ ÈUÈeÈeÈZÈhÈ^ÈhÈcÈqÈZ ÈYÈqÈfÈdÈmÈ`È^ by ÈEÈdÈXÈcÈZÈYÈU
Ç÷ÈWÈUÈYÈlÈUÈhÈr ÈbÈ^ÈcÈiÈh ÈmÈ^ÈgÈhÈdÈXÈd ÈiÈYÈdÈWÈdÈaÈrÈgÈhÈWÈ^Èu http://sanderswynx.chat.ru
December 18th 08 12:42 AM
by ÈEÈdÈXÈcÈZÈYÈU Go to last post
0 277
How to deal with virus and spyware? by jakein2008
My vista is in virus free status , but i need to use the files in another hard disk which infected by virus and spyware by USB, how should i do to prevent my vista from virus and spyware? Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 17th 08 08:29 PM
by Joe Buck Go to last post
17 501
User access control (UAC) annoyance by Neil Jones[_2_]
Hi, I have Vista Ultimate on my laptop. All the tools and software packages are have been installed on my system for a while and are running fine. Yesterday, I have upgraded a tool called "Quick Media Converter". I like this tool, however, everytime I invoke this program I get the "User Access Control" window prompting for the administrator's password. None of the other applications have...
December 17th 08 10:40 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
4 365
Windows Defender Update Error 80244024 by mrhotdog
cant update as this message appears, OS is vista home basic 32bit. i cant also get windows updates, thinking they might be related, help appreciated
December 16th 08 11:26 PM
by mrhotdog Go to last post
2 271
Vista Security Center Service Can't Start by ianc1505
I have been installing, using and unistalling several anti spyware, anti malware and anti virus programmes one after another in a vain attempt to get rid of "em.pc-on-internet.com" pop-unders on my standalone PC running on Vista Home Premium. I finally managed to stop the pop-unders (at least for the moment) by downloading and running a programme called ComboFix. I also followed it's...
December 16th 08 09:20 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
7 424
BitLocker - why 1500 MB partition? by Anders Lund
Hi Running Windows Vista x64 SP2 beta on a HP notebook. I use BitLocker and have no problems with it. But I have yet to discover the reason for the BitLocker drive have to bee (at least?) 1500 MB in size. Looking at the properties for the drive, I can see that only about 50 MB is in use. Reasons I have thought of could be:
December 16th 08 01:26 PM
by Anders Lund Go to last post
4 272
One disk is missing in USB Disk by jakein2008
I connect one removable hard disk to my Vista PC by USB,I can only see one disk and another disk is missing from the system, how should I fix this problem? Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 16th 08 06:04 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
15 448
VISTA Policy - User's Folder by KAD
Hello I've got a problem with VISTA policy. In the VISTA user policy is the following Setting present: Remove My Document icon on the desktop. By XP this was the folder from the User Profile. I would like to hide the User's folder from the user desktop. The folder has the name from the Userprofile. Where is the correct policy Setting? Must I load a different ADMX? Is it possible with policy...
December 15th 08 02:24 PM
by KAD Go to last post
1 239
Prevent users to save on Desktop by Per Kr. Myra
Hi, I'm trying to prevent ordinary users to save files on the Desktop, but I have some problem with Vista. The users have roaming profiles. I have made one startup script that creates a local folder C:\Desktop , and set user rights to read and execute. I have a logonscript that sets the User Shell Folder "Desktop" to C:\Desktop.
December 15th 08 09:56 AM
by Per Kr. Myra Go to last post
0 252
Enigmail errors on Vista Ultimate by Neil Jones[_2_]
I am running Thunderbird 2.0 on Vista Ultimate. In the past versions of Thunderbird and Windows, I had Enigmail working fine. This time around I am getting some errors messages. Here are the installation details: OS - Vista Ultimate Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 - Works fine Gpg4win 1.1.3 - Works fine (can list private and public keys) Enigmail 0.95.7 - Does not work with the existing keys listed in...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 15th 08 04:07 AM
by Neil Jones[_2_] Go to last post
10 596
vista security problem? by jakein2008
In vista I use remote control to control a computer which has virus and spyware, will my vista be vulnerable to virus and spyware and how to avoid it? Thanks.
December 14th 08 11:50 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 239
Setting Time and Security Issues by Richard B
I have a small program that I to run at startup to update the system time and then exits. When I moved to Vista I discovered this program causes some kind of security issue. First I log in as an Administrator level user id. If I run the program as is I get the error that the program could not update the time. If I do a "run as administrator," then I get the UAC alert asking me if I want...
December 14th 08 08:33 PM
by GTS Go to last post
7 272
Live Onecare and Adaware by KHogle
I am using windows Live Oncare. I also like to use other antispyware, usually because I have found that only one program is usually not enough to capture all spyware. However, Live Onecare reports that Adaware may interfere. I use the free version so it is not performing realtime protection, just on demand scans. Does anyone know if this is truly a problem or just Microsoft pouting about me...
December 14th 08 12:47 AM
by StephenB Go to last post
2 263
Remember Username Resume from Sleep Vista Business 32 by gt57
My system recently changed behavior after resuming from sleep. The previous behavior was my username was remembered after resume from sleep and all I had to enter was my password. Now, when resuming from sleep, I must enter my username and password. I am on a domain, so I could have been subjected to a updated Group Policy. I do not have good access to those who control Group Policy. At...
December 13th 08 09:33 PM
by gt57 Go to last post
0 224
Disabling PING on Vista-64 by Robert
Is there a way to stop my PC from responding to pings? I have tried enabling the rules for Echo Requests and setting them to 'Block the Connection' but with no success. Thanks Rob.
December 13th 08 08:11 AM
by Robert Go to last post
2 244
Malicious Software Removal Tool missing from Dec updates by Tom Allen
Is it just me or has the December version of MSRT yet to appear in Microsoft Update ? I didn't see it at the time and can't see it in the update history. I've downloaded and run it anyway. Regards, Tom Allen
December 13th 08 03:36 AM
by Josh White Go to last post

From The