Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Installedcodec a malware? by Michael Walraven[_3_]
McAfee has reported that a program I have had installed for some time is malware. Specifically the program Installedcodec.exe from nirsoft is a Trojan "New Malware.jj" I haven't used it in some time but seemed to be OK when I did so. Anyone know if this is a false positive by McAfee? (I have already Googled for answer, no data but perhaps this is new). Michael
December 13th 08 01:29 AM
by Josh White Go to last post
6 312
Backup strategies?? by Neil Jones[_2_]
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the oldest being the most reliable backup. How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk space? Thank you in advance for any help.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 13th 08 01:01 AM
by Al D[_2_] Go to last post
20 660
Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium by spat61
Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks -- spat61
December 12th 08 04:15 PM
by Fast Turtle[_2_] Go to last post
8 373
antivirus 2008 XP by SUE
Hi There Has anyone had this appear on there computer I know its a rogue program but how do I get rid of it. Its a pest I have Norton Internet security 2008 but that does not report this rogue program. It just pops up everywhere and am afraid that it will compromise my system. Any help would be helpful. Thanks in advance
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 12th 08 12:21 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
54 1,885
unable to update ANY program by kabluna
Can't find a fix.  Itunes can't connect, even with a working internet connection.  Windows update doesn't work.  AVGfree doesn't update unless I download the virus files off their website.  Malwarebytes can't update.  Either the connection times out or it says not connected  to the internet.  This has been going on for four weeks.  I can't figure out a...
December 12th 08 09:56 AM
by husskii Go to last post
1 270
ICMP and Windows Vista Firewall by SuperPlay
Hi Folks Where are the ICMP options in the Windows Vista Firewall? I am interested in controlling Ping. Kind Regards
December 12th 08 09:24 AM
by Robert Go to last post
5 311
Cannot Telnet to port 25 from Vista by FFIS
I cannot seem to connect to an external mailserver through port 25 from my Windows Vista machine. The problem is also from a couple of VM's whih reside on that same desktop. I've checked the following things: Turned of the Vista Firewall I can connect to the same external mailserver from another machine on my network I do not have any Anti virus installed on the Vista machine I can telnet to...
December 12th 08 06:04 AM
by FFIS Go to last post
0 253
Vista rootkit issue? All legit software. Open an .wav folder with a few wav files and hard-drive goes 100% endlessly by Bob
Hi I have Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed on my new HP laptop. Every time I go to open a folder that has audio, ripped from a CD, in .wav format, my hard-drive goes overtime, running almost 100% constantly. System responsiveness to a single-click is about 30 to 60 seconds. This is the definite trigger, (the folder). I have Norton Internet Security 2007, not my first choice of av...
December 12th 08 02:17 AM
by Michael D. Ober Go to last post
2 231
Internet Explorer Add-on Installer by NoSPAM
I just tried to access a National Weather Service site to view radar images (because of local weather warnings). http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gsp&overlays=11101111&product=NCR&loop=yes When trying to view the Composite Reflectivity Loop (enhanced version), the Information Bar popped up telling me that IE had stopped the site from installing an Active-X control. When I clicked to...
December 12th 08 12:34 AM
by NoSPAM Go to last post
0 269
Install application via package that includes Admin credentials by Don
Hello. I have 14 users in different parts of the U.S. all running Vista Business. I have configured their Administrator accounts with a password which they do not know, so they run their machines as-is and cannot install anything. Here's my problem - I need to install PowerPoint Viewer on all the machines, but that would require me telling them the Administrator password. Can I deliver...
December 11th 08 11:06 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 256
encrypting files by Matthew J[_2_]
I was wanting to encrypt directories or files in vista x64. I went into the advanced options and the option Encrypt contents to secure data box is grayed out. Any way to fix this would be wonderful, and why is it like this.
December 11th 08 08:29 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
2 241
How can I run Office Enterprise 2007 with UAC enabled as a user? by tim
The problem I have is that every time I try to run an Office app it kicks off Windows Installer and tries to re-install the component of Office I am trying to run. This inevitably fails because it never prompts me to run as admin, even though I am logged in as an administator, with the error, "Microsoft Office has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the...
December 11th 08 03:40 PM
by Zaphod Beeblebrox Go to last post
4 288
Security problem with my Vista Home op! by James[_10_]
Hello, Can someone please help me out? I am not getting the Vista Welcome Screen on my Notebook PC when waking up from sleep mode or from screen saver. When I start my notebook computer or do a re-start I always get the welcome screen needing my password to sign in. This is what I want to make my notebook secure. I also want to get the welcome screen when my Notebook wakes up from sleep mode...
December 11th 08 02:03 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
5 247
Vista Security is Killing Me by PA Bear [MS MVP]
] Windows Live OneCare Forums http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/default.aspx?siteid=2 -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
December 11th 08 07:13 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 258
Word '07 Document protection - Protecting certain areas on a doc by guic
I've created a "word doc." contract for my company. On the contract I have created a table and have added values (prices for services) in the cells. The challangeing part is; a protan of this document (table/prices) I would like protected. As for the rest of the document (non-table) I would like to leave "open" for clients to fill and complete. Any thoughts on how to do this? Or is there a...
December 10th 08 05:49 PM
by guic Go to last post
2 206
How to install a com dll with non-admin a/c, per-user by CHANDRA
Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate, Version 6.0, Service Pack 1.0 I've developed a com dll setup file, which gets installed properly with administrator a/c. But I want it be installed by non-admin a/c and it should be accessible just for that user. When I try to install the setup with non-admin a/c, it throws an error message saying "You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this...
December 10th 08 01:21 PM
by Anthony Wieser Go to last post
2 254
Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage by El.PLates
Had a game called Air Conflicts installed on my PC (Vista Home Premium) and it worked very happily, I got bored with the game and removed it. Have had some young relatives staying so decided to re-install it for them. It installed fine but when I try to use it I get "ac.exe has stopped working" followed by a message from Microsoft saying "Virus alert: Microsoft detected the...
December 10th 08 07:59 AM
by El.PLates Go to last post
0 254
"Account Unknown" after Vi$ta re-installation by Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
What's the appropriate method of dealing them? Could I just remove them? -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.8 ^ ^ 18:27:01 up 18 days 6:41 3 users load average: 1.00 1.04 1.01 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ?????...
December 9th 08 07:34 AM
by Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Go to last post
3 359
Rtutils.dll by berra43
Got this annoying info about rtutils.dll is not working properly. After a check in system32 it shows up with 0Kb which of course is incorrect Anyone knows how to correct and restore a correct file. The owner is NT SERVICE TrustedInstaller with Full rights acc to ICACLS -- Berra
December 9th 08 01:51 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 319
Disabling all security in IE 7 by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Surgery wrote: Ah, sorry. I'm Windows Vista Home SP1. The test is some javascript that uses active x controls and xml and will be done locally, not online. I am using ZoneAlarm with an up-to-date subscription. Thanks. "PA Bear " wrote: Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
December 8th 08 08:25 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post

From The