Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Registering REG Files by Or Tsemah
Can someone please ellaborate on how to Register REG Files using things like Scripts\SMS\GPO for all users on a Standard User Computer ? The problem, i guess, lies with the Virtualization of the registry -- Or Tsemah YSIDE
April 8th 07 08:28 AM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
2 187
Offer remote assistance with Live Messenger by Or Tsemah
I have a laptop\desktop + Wireless Router configuration. Have tried using Offer remote assistance option in messenger from with the router network and it worked. I've tried it from outside the network (Desktop was behind the router, Laptop connected from somewhere else) and i got the error on Vista that the host has shut down the Remote Assistance program (the phase after the password...
April 8th 07 08:47 AM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 171
Tracking Cookies by BChat
My OS - Vista Ultimate. I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. If not I'm sure someone will be glad to tell me where to go.;-) I am using Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, and AdAware Personal. I use IE 7 and FF 2.0.0.3 (all software is updated daily) When I do a scan w/AdAware, I get 6 entries for: bchat@live365 - tracking cookie - data miner - IE cache entry
April 8th 07 08:09 PM
by BChat Go to last post
0 150
TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please) by MICHAEL
As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista, XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate, BitLocker will protect Vista. I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition. An MVP has this posted on his website as an option. I have seen this posted in on several...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 8th 07 08:48 PM
by Bert Kinney Go to last post
19 304
vista business laptop keeps getting locked out on NT4 domain by Jim Sharky
OK....user has a SONY Vaio laptop running Vista Business.....was able to connect and join the domain (running on an NT4 Server)...... Now, however, when I reboot the laptop, it will not retain my mapped drive (connected to the network). What I find when I check the user account on the domain is that it gets locked out when I try to access the mapped drive. User account on the laptop and on...
April 9th 07 02:54 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 239
SSL Protocol Provider by [email protected]
In CNG, "Microsoft SSL Procotol Provider" supports 24 cryptography methods(ex, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, ...) and IE(Internet Exploer) uses them for security connection(https). Then, I wanna add another cryptography methods at SSL. But, I couldn't add those methods to "Microsoft SSL Procotol Provider" since it's suported by ncrypt.dll in MS. So, I may make a new provider for adding another...
April 9th 07 04:41 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 181
Security Center Service won't start by the metaphysician
Hey All, The subject says it all. I disabled the SCS as soon as I installed Vista because, quite frankly, I find it annoying. However, in trying to fix another program (see my thread in Networking), I tried to restart the service and it says "This service cannot be started." It's no more helpful than that. Anyone have a clue?
April 9th 07 12:24 PM
by Malke Go to last post
3 182
Defender, Startup programs, and UAC by Julian
Vista Home Premium... Sorry if my ignorance of Vista security etc. makes these sound like very dumb questions... Defender persistently blocks at startup a number of applications* I trust (I can run them OK manually, but more about that in a moment). Because there is no "Alert" dialog (just the balloon notification about blocked items) I cannot add these programs to the Allowed list.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 9th 07 03:24 PM
by Julian Go to last post
16 357
previous versions by CliveW
Hi I'm using Vista home premium, upgraded to ultimate. No previous versions are listed for files or folders. manual & automatic restore points are being created. Full restore works, but nothing is listed for previous versions NTFS disc, 81Gb free, VSS service running Any ideas Thanks Clive
April 9th 07 03:59 PM
by Go to last post
3 157
Problems with attachments from Yahoo mail by tdbohannon
My account is set up as the admin. when I get a yahoo email with a pic attached, I click to download and open, get a security message from windows and click ok, and the file opens just fine. When my wife tries to do the same, she clicks the message in yahoo, gets the windows prompt to 'open' or 'save' and then when clicking either one, nothing happens. Thoughts?
April 9th 07 09:18 PM
by tdbohannon Go to last post
0 142
DCOM and Vista - Access denied by Ivco
Hello I have a DCOM server up and running on a machine with XP. I can connect to this server from another XP machine without any problems (running a DCOM client). I have callbacks working as well. The problem comes when I run the client on a Vista machine and try to connect to the same DCOM server on the XP machine. I tried a lot of settings with DCOMCNFG I also switched off the firewall on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 10th 07 12:12 AM
by Ivco Go to last post
13 327
Adding new crypto algorithms in CNG(Next Generation Cryptography by [email protected]
Hello, i have studied CNG for adding new crypto algorithm. In Beta SDK Ver., there're functions for adding new crypto alg. (BcryptRegistered Provider(), BcryptAddContextFunctionProvider(), and etc). But, present SDK Ver. hasn't these functions. Moreover, there aren't related contents (Adding new crypto alg.) in MSDN.
April 10th 07 02:19 AM
by Andrew Tucker [MSFT] Go to last post
1 178
more UAC issues by ozziaj
Running Vista Ultimate Retail with UAC enabled as per default, I am unable to: 1 connect to the internet; IE will open and attempt to find the site, but runs at 100% CPU and never opens the site 2 change the User Picture; I am stuck with the silly sunflower. If I go to User Accounts | Change your picture, no matter what I choose, either one of the other silly pictures, or any picture from my...
April 10th 07 03:25 AM
by vanilla Go to last post
2 128
Bug: Task Manager/Rcsc Monitor misbehaves when UAC is Off by Bill Tanner
When User Account Control (UAC) is disabled and a Standard user (non Admin) clicks on the Resource Monitor button in Task Manager, the system goes into an endless loop trying to launch perfmon.exe No error is displayed. (I usually use Windows as a Standard non-admin user and therefore I disable UAC) The Resource Monitor button is on the Task Manager's Performance tab. Admin users can always...
April 10th 07 03:56 AM
by Bill Tanner Go to last post
3 131
Possible Bug in Firewall Security? Or am I Doing Something Wrong? by Hangetsu
I recently completed setup of my Public Profile using the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. While I don't think its critical, I'm hoping that its really just me not doing something right. Here are the steps: 1) Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (wf.msc). 2) Start a new Custom rule. 3) Select svchost.exe as the application (it may impact other apps, but this is the one I...
April 10th 07 04:50 AM
by CZ Go to last post
3 157
Anyone have a laptop with Bitlocker (TPM not USB) enabled? by APA
Hi, I am currently shopping for a laptop and would like to use Bitlocker with the TPM 1.2 chip vice a USB thumbdrive. Any suggestions from readers of this forum would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for Brand and model number if possible. Trying to pry any Bitlocker information from CDW, Dell, HP, Sony, etc. is a nightmare. I keep getting the "don't call us we'll call you" routine....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 10th 07 04:54 AM
by vedala Go to last post
12 244
defender by jen
my pc only about 4 weeks old and last night it threw this one out at me about defender being out of date? the error code is 0x80240029. i cannot find anything about it on the web site.is there a fix for this? ty
April 10th 07 09:48 AM
by jen Go to last post
0 128
Vista Firewall by sunshine
I have been recently having an annoying problem with the firewall on Vista, everytime I trun on my computer, I have to go in and enable the firewall. everytime, how do I keep it constanly on?
April 10th 07 07:13 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
3 170
cant access security centre by foreign currency
I'm trying to set up security on a new laptop (Windows XP). I checked the security centre and the firewall was already set up. However I then installed Norton and used its firewall. Now I'm experiencing problems connecting to the internet - I keep losing connection and I think this may be because I've loaded on a new firewall when the windows firewall was enabled. I now cant get access to...
April 10th 07 10:42 PM
by Rock Go to last post
2 127
No escape from Norton! by varuna21