Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Update Error Code 800706BE by J André Labuschagné
Hi All Running Vista Ultimate. Windows Update always returns the error code 800706BE. I have checked for malware, googled and followed the advice in a couple of threads. Still tearing my hair out. Any ideas?
December 7th 08 10:44 AM
by Engel Go to last post
1 285
Protected Mode blocks streaming & downloads by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Davis wrote: Runing IE7 ver 7.0.6001.18000 on Vista Home Premium SP1 - with Protected Mode ON, cannot view/listen to any streaming video/audio, cannot downlaod files, etc. When turn Protected Mode OFF all problems go away. I realize PM prevents executables from accessing higher level areas of computer. Only workaround I've found is going to Tools/Internet Options and un-click PM ...
December 6th 08 07:54 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 270
Windows Defender Problem by Kris
I have Macafee security that says I am being protected at the current moment. Maybe a day a go, Windows defender pops up with a shield with a x on it. When i open it the Malware protection has a read button and says check settings. Underneath of that it says Virus protection not found ( Windows did not find any anti virus protection on this computer) and Spyware and Malware protection...
December 6th 08 06:46 PM
by Dick D. Go to last post
7 353
Beta 2 of Vista SP2 now available to anyone by Engel
In late October, Microsoft gave its beta testers the first beta build of Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. On Tuesday, the company pushed out a later build to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. The five languages currently supported are English, German, French, Spanish, and Japanese, in both 32- and 64-bit flavors. Today, the company has made this SP2 build available to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 6th 08 06:32 PM
by Victek Go to last post
10 552
Administrator access by PA Bear [MS MVP]
How long have you been running Vista, Jack? (Unlike WinXP, rhe true Administrator in Vista is a hidden profile.) How does your first question pertain to IE? If you Save an MHT file to your hard-drive, right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator," does it open? -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
December 6th 08 03:12 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 276
Downloading McAfee by Jasmine
I am trying to download McAfee Software on my computer, but it says it can't because the Java Script is not working properly on this PC. Why is this? I use Mozilla FireFox 3.
December 6th 08 12:43 PM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
4 328
Vista interoperability with MIT Kerberos by Blake[_2_]
Where can I find ksetup (or the equivalent) for Vista? Blake
December 6th 08 12:33 AM
by Josh Phillips Go to last post
1 314
Help! Everything Goes Away Except Virtumonde.prx by xxsassxx31
Hello! I appreciate this forum and the help you provide and hopefully you guys can help me with this annoying problem. I am running a Windows Vista on an HP 32-bit laptop system. I somehow acquired that "Windows Antivirus 2009" on my system and I have the following security software on my computer (I disable some of them sometimes which I maybe should not have done): McAfee, Spybot Search &...
December 5th 08 10:49 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
9 316
Cannot remote desktop, do both machines need to be on same domain? by c
I'm attempting to RD to my Vista machine from XP machine, but the XP one is not on same domain. Therefore, I'm unable to "add user" from the Vista RD settings. There are both on the same network and can ping each other. Do both machines need to be on same domain? If so, then I'd rather revert to VNC or something similar where if I can ping the damned IP, I can login with user/pwd. frustrated in...
December 5th 08 08:07 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
5 314
Could'nt Replace advapi32.dll in Vista Ultimate by izyani
Hi, I'm currently develop the security application on Vista platform. i need to replace advapi32.dll in Vista Ultimate 32 bit, with administrator access right. But when I try to replace the file, i got the error. Destination Folder Access Denied
December 5th 08 01:31 PM
by Corne Go to last post
2 288
Can't enable or disable programs in Security Center by leeherman99
I find that I am no longer able to change the status of programs in the Security Center. The enable/disable buttons are gone. A link tells me that a Group Policy has resulted in this problem, but I am not part of a network, I run Home Premium, and I am the only administrator. Has anyone seen this happen before, and what is the solution? Lee --
December 5th 08 01:10 PM
by leeherman99 Go to last post
0 289
Live OneCare vs AVG ? by Amanda
I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running Vista. I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I have a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't want to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it. Could someone give a review...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 5th 08 08:46 AM
by StephenB Go to last post
26 1,040
Lan shows up as Unidentified Network by Khogle
When I view my networks, instead of having my LAN listed, it shows up as "unidentified network limited connectivity". It doesn't affect my online experience, at least not yet. I am new to Vista. So far it is OK, but still new to the experience. I grew to like XP after a while, so maybe Vista will grow on me. So, any idea why this happens. Never happened with XP. My access is set as public,...
December 4th 08 10:23 PM
by Josh Phillips Go to last post
1 311
AxInstallService by stern
I try this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137994.aspx but it isn't work for me event id 4100 source AxInstallService. I installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951585 hotfix but same error. please help thanks
December 4th 08 10:19 PM
by Josh Phillips Go to last post
2 307
Critical Update connection by AliceZ
Yesterday when I signed on with my Vista and went to Critical Updates, I saw there was an update: Windows update agent 7.2.6001.788 I clicked OK for the download. When the download finished, I was immediately transferred out of Critical Update page and back to my Google page. I looked in the Update History and saw the the Windows Update Agent was successfully installed. Today when I turned on...
December 4th 08 09:22 PM
by AliceZ Go to last post
3 303
I love Dave by Venus
I have always loved Dave. He and I have always been in love. From the first day that we met, we knew we blonged together and we hoped that nothing would come between us. We both knew our relationship was too good to be true. Unfortunately, evil prevailed and interferred with our relationship. Now, only fate and God can only bring us back together.
December 4th 08 04:15 PM
by Uncle Squishy Go to last post
5 304
Latest Windows Vista updates by carina
On re-booting after Windows updates KB954459, KB957097, KB955069 my PC would not re-start, had to do an automatic system restore. The error code received was 0x80242016. I've noticed from the forums a number of other people have had problems after these updates. Does anyone know if there is a fault in one of these updates or is it just coincidence ? Also does anyone know exactly what...
December 4th 08 02:16 PM
by Shirt Go to last post
9 322
Recovery policy configured for this system contains invalid recove by hannsf
Recovery policy configured for this system contains invalid recovery certificate. I am running Vista Business. I can't get past this point. Thanks for any help.
December 4th 08 12:56 PM
by kdn Go to last post
1 283
Hijack This by wotrulike
Hi, please can you tell me if i can post hijak this logs here? if not where. Thanks -- wotrulike Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
December 4th 08 10:20 AM
by Peter Foldes[_2_] Go to last post
1 267
Slow start up due to AVG 8.0 by Harry
I recently installed the paid version of AVG 8.0 Although the program works well, I have noticed that my start up time has increased from 1 minute to 4 minutes. Does anybody have a similar experience or a solution?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 4th 08 09:33 AM
by Harry Go to last post

From The