Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Critical Update "Windows Update Agent" by AliceZ
Yesterday (on desktop and 17") I checked for Critical Updates and before it would do the check, it stated that it had to update the Windows Critical Update, which it did and then I could see if there were any critical updates. No critical updates for either PC (which have WinXPsp3). However, tonight I did the same on the Vista and also got a message about the Critical Update site needing to...
December 3rd 08 11:19 PM
by AliceZ Go to last post
0 266
DEP problems by Jim[_51_]
For some unknown reason, Internet Explorer has ceased to function. Reason: DEP keeps the program from loading. I get a warning box telling me that DEP has shut down Explorer to protect my computer. I am running Vista Ultimate and have had no previous problems. Appreciate some guidance. Thanks.
December 3rd 08 06:58 PM
by Cephexin Go to last post
3 305
Vista: "Run as..." while UAC disabled by kakii
I made recently following experience with my vista business 32bits. UAC disabled. When logged on as an user from adminstrative group my 3rd party firewall can't be started with administrative privileges. Attempts to change settings of that firewall result in error message like "You haven't sufficient access rights". Starting that firewall using "Run as..." doesn't help. Applications can't be...
December 3rd 08 06:49 PM
by Cephexin Go to last post
5 275
Are these compatable with vista by Svandisel
Ad aware and spybot search and destroy? Why not AVG?
December 3rd 08 11:38 AM
by hafizahmad Go to last post
5 273
External hdd by Corne
Hi I recently purchased a iomega external hdd and i only have three usb port all of which i am using. One for the mouse One for the keyboard, and one for the external hdd. Sometimes I need to plug my bluetooth dongle in the usb port of the external hdd, but when I want to safely remove the device it says "Close one or more windows........"All programs are closed, and I have noticed there is a...
December 3rd 08 05:34 AM
by Corne Go to last post
0 285
NEW IPHONE VIDEO PROJECTOR PROTOTYPE NOW AVAILABLE LIMITED EDITION by jurgita
This is an exclusive gadget for iphone addict. Perfect gift for christmas only 1000 copy http://iphone-video-projector.com
December 3rd 08 05:03 AM
by jurgita Go to last post
0 279
Eraser and file metadata by Neil Jones[_2_]
I have been using Eraser software which overwrites the file with random data several times to make it unrecoverable. Recently, I have attended the Forensics class offered by SANS. When it came to the topic of metadata, some of the classmates mentioned that Eraser works only at the application level. This confused me a bit. My question now is, does Eraser delete the data and metadata as...
December 2nd 08 04:59 PM
by Tim Greer Go to last post
2 310
How can I find commandline for right-click filescan with Norton 36 by Justme
Hey, I'm trying to let eMule scan my incomming files through Norton 360 automaticly. There used to be an exe. file in older Norton programs to get this done. According to Symantec this is no longer the case in 360. I wondered if it is at all possible to use the command that is used by Norton 360 when right clicked on a file to scan that file. After all the right click function in this...
December 1st 08 08:24 AM
by Edward H. Go to last post
4 286
USB thumb drive read only by Invicta
Hi I have Vista Ultimate SP1. I seem to have locked myself out from writing to USD thumb drives. I have tried several USB thumb drives in different USB ports. When I try to create a new file or erase a file I get "Access denied" messages. This happens with a general user account, admin account both in normal and safemode.
November 30th 08 05:21 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 308
Windows Update Keeps wanting to install the same patch. KB94430 by garywi
Windows Update has installed Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4 SP2 four times. It it wants to do it again. Everytime I shut down the PC, it says installing updates. How can I get this to stop? -- Thanks
November 30th 08 03:42 AM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
6 265
Microsoft hijacking urls in Hotmail? by l00ll0ll0ll00ll
I sent this url http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150201/networkattached_storage_on_the_cheap.html to a friend via Hotmail and when he clicks on it it redirects him to this site http://info.mobile.ca.msn.com/en-ca/default.aspx I went back to my hotmail and opened the email in my sent folder and sure enough Microsoft is hijacking the url when I click on it. If I copy and paste it...
November 29th 08 04:18 PM
by Alex Go to last post
1 226
Send Free SMS Worlwide to any mobile phone iphone gsm http://free4sms.info by massimo
Free4sms is a free service. Send SMS for Free worldwide to any mobile phone gsm, iphone, smart phone. use it with moderation. http://free4sms.info/ free4sms enables you to send free SMS from its site to any cellular phone worldwide. free4sms service is provided like is, there is no guarantee of timely delivery of all messages to all cellular networks, free4sms cannot be held liable for any...
November 29th 08 02:48 AM
by massimo Go to last post
0 218
Using AVAST AV - Need Interactive service configured by Lester Stiefel
Installed AVAST antivirus. In the system logs, there was a message the the service was supposed to be run in interactive mode. The system as originally installed has interactive mode disabled. Is there away to enable the "Interactive mode(S)"? -- Visit Family Radio Today http://www.familyradio.com/
November 28th 08 06:36 PM
by Snidley W. Go to last post
1 243
Vista Firewall by sksdes
helo all, just reporting in, vista has alota troubles keeping the firewall in the ON postion, even if you go root and reset it, then back to local user, after reboot even during session usage, in the name of gawd, the windoes from w95 on up still has the same Memory bugs in it, LOL
November 28th 08 08:47 AM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
4 241
windoes by kandoo
Yes! yes it does have its own wall... From: "Mick Murphy" Subject: Vista Firewall Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:55 PM Are you using an Internet Security Suite? If you are, it has its own Firewall. -- Mad Mike
November 28th 08 12:53 AM
by kandoo Go to last post
0 271
Vista - Checkpoint VPN failed to launched by Fi
I have window vista installed and are trying to run checkpoint VPN R60H_supplement 3. After installing the CP VPN, I am unable to right click on the icon. I have tried everything and still couldn't get it to work. I checked in the Diagnostic log and got the following error: "SCV Policy: Machine is NOT running secure configuration verification." I have told to disable to UAC, but even...
November 27th 08 12:27 PM
by Radovan[_2_] Go to last post
3 266
Windows security center error by w1ckedgurl4ever
windows security center won't let me change my automatic update settings. When I click on automatic updatingchange settingsInstall updates automatically(Recommended) I get an error message from Windows Security Center that says "Security center can't change your automatic updating settings." I have User Account Control turned off. Any suggestions? -- w1ckedgurl4ever
November 26th 08 01:19 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 274
Defender Error 0x8007139f. by cherryan
if this duplicates i apologise but it appeared to crash on my when i tried to pst it defender identified two adware programs backed up by norton to my backup drive. It offered to remove them and tells me it has suceeded. It then identifies that they are still there and gives me the above error message when i ask it to remove them again. any suggestions Andrew
November 25th 08 08:02 PM
by cherryan Go to last post
2 300
Vista: no BITS service, no automatic updates by Koen
My father-in-law has windows vista home premium. He can no longer get any automatic updates, this generates error code 80246008. Support information refers to a corrupt BITS service. However, the BITS service is missing among the Services. Downloading files from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520 does not restore the BITS service. Can anyone advise? Many thanks, Koen
November 25th 08 10:40 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
5 255
Recommend a Security Suite by razor_303
I am currently using Norton Internet Security 2007, for both my recently purchased laptop and my older desktop computer. I have seen the reviews for the 2008 version and I'm not very confident in getting it. I wanted to get some recommendations on security software that I can buy that includes the whole package, like a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. I know to stay away from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 24th 08 03:40 AM
by Deet Go to last post
55 1,403