Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
About CreateFile on vista? by À±õ
My code : hHandle = CreateFile( pSpDevIntfsDetData-DevicePath, GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, CREATE_NEW, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL); and i run this code in vista ,it return the lasterror 5. tell me no Privileges. why i can get the Privileges to run creatfile?
November 10th 07 04:23 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 146
Windows Vista administrator account locked down by Ajay
Windows Vista administrator account locked down Here¡¦s the details: Windows Vista Home Premium I am not experienced with Vista, however am pretty comfortable with XP and am used to managing computers through admin rights, can do minor, simple registry tweaks and fixes, and have always been able to recover from my mistakes. I ain¡¦t scared to run a machine from an
February 5th 08 05:01 AM
by Dyndrilliac Go to last post
6 195
resetting security permissions not working by Akidd
I have two vista home premium machines. I was unable to browse between the two on my home lan. I found the kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 As it says I ran: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose One machine completes fine, the other does not.
June 11th 08 12:01 AM
by Akidd Go to last post
2 344
Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time by akita
Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time – and yes, I do realise it’s a beta. I’m using the Vista Ultimate RTM release, and OneCare could not detect (let alone combat) one virus and one Trojan on our testbed system. OneCare’s tuning option removes files nilly-wily without letting the user know what it removed. Turned out it removed system files needed by other software to run!...
December 29th 06 07:39 PM
by Peter M Go to last post
2 140
IE7 protected mode by akita
IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet | Protected Mode Offâ€, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway by default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security. Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or the Tools | Security checked settings? Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser?? Is there another way...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 4th 07 09:31 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
14 403
more MS Vsita security holes by akita
Last week, the media went schizophrenic over the Windows Vista speech recognition ‘loophole’. Granted, this one was a tad unrealistic for most users. However, this week, two top Swedish security experts exposed many more “fatal†security flaws inside the newborn operating system, Windows Vista. The first exploit is a bug inside the keyboard and mouse subsystem which enables the...
February 8th 07 12:13 AM
by Wayne McGlinn Go to last post
4 105
OneCare fails security tests - again by akita
Microsoft's own antivirus software, Live OneCare, is unable to fully protect Vista users against viruses, and one of security firm McAfee's antivirus software packages also fails to protect users, according to independent research released Friday. Security news Web site Virus Bulletin, backed by a team of security researchers based in Oxfordshire, U.K., tested 15 antivirus software packages...
February 8th 07 04:14 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
2 110
Sound problem by AK[_2_]
Hello ! My system reports "Direct sound problem". Probably some files are damaged (after power shut down). How can I reinstall DirectSound driver ? Regards Alex
November 3rd 07 09:16 AM
by AK[_2_] Go to last post
0 157
Access denied as Administrator by Al
New to Vista (Ultimate). Why, when I'm logged in as Administrator, are there folders on the disk that produce an "Access denied" error when I try to browse them? I thought the purpose of the Administrator account was to provide full and complete access to the computer including any folder/file on the disk regardless of creator/owner status. This is new (and very annoying) behavior since XP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 24th 08 06:03 PM
by Nic Go to last post
14 372
User account and security by Al
On Vista, in order for a system to see another machine's share, it asks for the user's credentials. I know this can be tuned off using Password protection for shares. However, regardless, if both the systems have the same user account with the same password (not necessarily logged in as that user but just if they have it), then things become very simple and the other user can see and open...
October 3rd 08 10:31 AM
by Paul Montgumdrop[_2_] Go to last post
1 306
Determining an administrator on Vista by Al
I am using the techinque to get the TokenElevationType using the API GetTokenInformation on Vista to determine if a user is an admin. It seems to work fine on Vista Business/Ultimate etc. However, it fails on Vista Home. Does anyone have any clues? The code is along the following lines: TOKEN_ELEVATION_TYPE elevationType; DWORD dwSize;
February 5th 09 04:14 PM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
9 402
Security Center & Antivirus software by Al Christoph
1. I had AVG (free) running with the August bits. 2. I installed RC1 as an upgrade. Went in smooooooth. I didn't even have to use any grease. 3. RC1 complained about not being able to talk to AVG and offered TrendMicro. 4. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled AVG and fiddled around with defender so that AVG runs properly. (Don't ask for the why of what I did. It was the first time I...
September 13th 06 12:24 PM
by Al Christoph Go to last post
0 462
Error message by Al Fresco
When I start my computer I get the following message - "Application failed to initialize: 0x80010665" Neither the firewall nor defender applications are turned on. I can turn on the firewall, but the defender application will not turn on. It simply looks for an update and then fails to activate. Suggestions please.
May 14th 07 05:35 AM
by Al Fresco Go to last post
5 148
windows defender and always allow by Alain R.
Hi, On my vista installation, i installed apache 2.2.4. Everytime i log, windows defender blocks apachemonitor application to run at startup. I've got info that i should have in action menu the "Always allow" possibility but i do not have any action menu with such feature. So what can i do to make this application not blocked at the startup of
May 4th 07 09:33 PM
by Rock Go to last post
4 179
windows Defender by Alain R.
Hi, Sorry to write this message again, but the first one seems as it was not sent. I installed apache 2.2.4 on my vista ultimate and each time i start my computer, windows defender display ApacheMonitor among "blocked startup programs". How can i do to make ApacheMonitor not be blocked by windows defender ?
May 3rd 07 07:12 AM
by Alain R. Go to last post
2 154
Confirming that RIP is disabled by Alan
How can I verify that Routing Information Protocol (RIP) is indeed disabled on my Vista (Business Edition) laptop? I`m not sure where this or other VPN-related information would show up on my network connections, if it were enabled. Thanks, Alan
April 14th 08 02:24 PM
by Alan Go to last post
1 263
How to Confirm BitLocker is off by Alan
How can I confirm that BitLocker is indeed turned off? Microsoft provides the instructions below, but this is after it has been on. I see no BitLocker options under Control Panel, Security. Thanks, Alan From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905089.aspx?id=2537#BKMK_S7
April 15th 08 05:25 PM
by Alan Go to last post
4 303
Synching local and network passwords by Alan
How can I synchronize my local computer and network passwords, so I don`t have to type both in every time? In XP, I could log on and specify a domain, once I synced them. Not sure how to do this in Vista. Thanks in advance, Alan
April 23rd 08 01:00 AM
by Alan Go to last post
0 256
Files encypted with different keys by Alan
Ummm . . . If I somehow managed to encrypt files (with EFS) but some with one key and others with another key, is there an easy way to get them all properly encypted with the same key? Thanks, Alan
May 7th 08 11:30 AM
by Brian Komar \(MVP\) Go to last post
2 210
Administrator access by Alan
Those first 2 links are bad. "Zack Whittaker" wrote: There will be some docs. out on UAC especially when Beta 2 comes out. Here's some articles anyway from VistaBase, there are some useful links at the bottom of each as well you may wish to check out. Security: what the user doesn't need to see http://www.vistabase.co.uk/welcome.php?subcats/security/patssecurity
March 13th 07 05:58 PM
by Alan Go to last post

From The