Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Reverse Sort Order Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
AVG Free and UAC by Rick
AVG Free AntiVirus 7.1.405 seems to work fine with Vista 5536 but I have one question. When I open the application and manually ask AVG Free to look for updates I have to tell UAC that it is OK for this application to proceed. I checked the upgrade executable program's security access permissions (avginet.exe) and everything is checked except "special permissions". What do I need to do...
September 20th 06 04:15 PM
by sim.seb Go to last post
1 520
Active X problem by Ron Maxey
I'm having trouble downloading a certificate for VPN from my employer's website because when I get to the certificate page, I get the pop-up message that an Active X control is downloading. But it never loads; it just hangs there. As a result, I'm unable to get a certificate, which seems to be the only thing keeping VPN and Citrix from running. I'm running Vista RC1. Any ideas? Thanks in...
September 25th 06 08:51 AM
by A.J. Breimer Go to last post
3 491
Vista RC1 Activation Product Key Question by Keith
Today I download RC1 and obtained a product key with the Windows Live Log on and acount activation. When I installed Vista RC1 it did not prompt me for a product key and installed. This was a fresh install onto a computer. Now when I attempt to enter a product key Windows vista rejects it, it already has a all numbers product key and I can not activate the product. Anyone have any ideas on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 26th 06 03:38 PM
by Colin Barnhorst Go to last post
13 851
bitsprx4.dll and wininit.exe by js8425
Morning all, I'm running RC-1. I ran spyware Doctor and it flagged bitsprx4.dll and wininit.exe as viruses. Windows site isn't clean on thses and Spyware Dr. can't get rid of them. Also I cannot delete them in safe mode or using XP64 (dual boot system). Any ideas? Thanks, John
September 25th 06 07:20 PM
by js8425 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
2 595
Vista and HTTPS by Ignacio
Hi all. When I try to see a https web the windows vista only permit me if it have the certificate on date, the name is the same that the certificate and the certificate is of one trust company. In the last versions of IE (include IE 7 on Windows XP) you can see the page after accept a warning message but Vista Doesn't shows this message and reject the web.
September 26th 06 04:24 PM
by Ignacio Go to last post
2 519
Vista: OpenService() returns Access Denied by Mark Findlay
Our win32 app opens the Task Scheduler to enumerate tasks as follows: SC_HANDLE hSC = NULL; SC_HANDLE hSchSvc = NULL; hSC = OpenSCManager(NULL, NULL, SC_MANAGER_CONNECT); if (hSC == NULL) return GetLastError(); hSchSvc = OpenService(hSC, "Schedule", SERVICE_START | SERVICE_QUERY_STATUS);
September 26th 06 09:53 PM
by Mark Findlay Go to last post
2 981
Blocked Start-Up by Benny
First of all, I've had relativly few problems with Vista. I am currently running RC-1 and have an annoying problem. My Logitech mouse driver gets blocked at startup. I go to the defender screen and it says that it isn't yet classified, but I can find no way to rectify that. I really don't want to turn off UAC yet, but am getting really annoyed with the pop-up from the taskbar. Any...
September 26th 06 05:45 PM
by Benny Go to last post
0 457
Can't rename a file due to permission problems by Roof Fiddler
I'm trying to rename winhlp32.exe to something else so that I can replace it with XP's winhlp32.exe. I'm running as an administrator with UAC enabled and all the default UAC settings, and I've assigned ownership of winhlp32.exe to myself and granted myself all permissions, yet when I try to rename or delete it, after confirming (twice) the UAC prompts, I get a "File Access Denied" dialog box...
September 26th 06 10:59 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 476
What is the "None_ploc" SID in process tokens? by Walter Porter
Hello: What is the "None_ploc" user or group in the security access token of a process in Vista? Google only finds a single (useless) reference to it. It seems to be new with Vista build 5600. Thanks!
September 26th 06 11:44 PM
by Walter Porter Go to last post
0 478
On Access Virus Scanner for Vista RC1 you say? by Robert Moir
It's a beta, but then if you're running Vista then you're a little late to be worried about that: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.0 -- -- Robert Moir Microsoft MVP
September 25th 06 08:10 PM
by news.microsoft.com Go to last post
3 493
Latest Microsoft 0-day spreading in the wild; is Vista/IE 7 vulnerable? by Edward Ray
Since Vista is being touted as a secure improvement over Windows XP, it would be nice to know. References: MSIE VML exploit spreading http://www.incidents.org/diary.php?storyid=1727&isc=d4e3eab7d07ea45e00d5d63aca8f6752 Zero-Day Response Team Launches with Emergency IE Patch, http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2019162,00.asp
September 22nd 06 06:28 PM
by Edward Ray Go to last post
0 529
BitLocker with TPM working in RC1 by Lang Murphy
Took about 6 tries... but finally got BitLocker running via TPM. PC just rebooted and drive getting encrypted as I type. Will update if it fails for any reason. This is on a Dell Latitude D820, BIOS A03. Lang
September 25th 06 11:11 PM
by sandeep Go to last post
2 460
UAC / Signed Drivers / etc. are a joke :( by Ryan
Ok, I cannot comprehend what Microsoft was thinking. I cannot install sound drivers. I cannot install 3rd party applications that I paid for that require driver installs. For example, Alcohol 120%. I used that to mount images that I own the rights to. Guess what - no matter what I do or tweak, Vista 64-bit will NOT allow it to install a driver. Same goes for Cubase. I'm driving myself...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 24th 06 09:23 AM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
19 882
Antivirus? by pehway
Trens Micro Internet Security 14 (Still Beta but works great). A free download while in beta. "troyboy" wrote: What is everyone doing about Antivirus protection? My XP was loaded with Norton's software. Under Vista I can not uninstall. Keeps telling me they'll let me know when it will work. I cannot install AVG, Bit Defender, EzArmor without uninstalling Nortons and
September 23rd 06 10:15 PM
by Ron Maxey Go to last post
1 508
BSOD Trend Micro by Dirk Schrama
Today I got 3 times a BSOD thanks to Trend Micro 14. I'm using the Vista RC1. TMTDI.sys crashed several times. What's a good (free) anti-virus alternative for Vista RC1? I've just installed eTrust EZ Antivirus.
September 24th 06 03:31 AM
by PNutts Go to last post
3 553
Desktop icons overlaid with security sign... by IQ70
Most of my desktop icons, word files, IE7/Mail have this security icon on their right lower corner. I associated that with TrendMicro AV (vista beta version) but uninstall of that software, manual registry cleaning also did not solve it. Does anyone know what is going on? http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/3015/iconszd9.png Sorry about the externally linked image. But there is no easy way to...
September 25th 06 04:19 PM
by azfronz Go to last post
3 826
Lots Of Hard-Drive action after Boot or de-Hibernation is finished by Snadge
My drive light flashes for about a minute after boot up has finished and my services have al loaded....ive checked with Task Manager to see if its perhaps Trend Micro 14 (Vista BETA) AV doing a Quick Scan (there is no option for it to in GUI) and the Task Manager shows nothing ...? Can anybody explain this strange activity ALSO whats the best way to get feedback to Msoft?
September 20th 06 11:16 AM
by Snadge Go to last post
0 470
How can I install a Web based certificate in Vista? by Sam Trego
In XP it was simple... when you log onto a site that has a non trusted certificate, you simply had to click "View Certificate" then "import certificate" and it would be installed. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install this same certificate (to my company server) onto my Vista computer. Can anyone help?
September 20th 06 04:17 PM
by Sam Trego Go to last post
0 470
How do I install a web certificate in Vista? by Sam Trego
In XP it was simple, just click "view certificate" then "import certificate" and you were done. I cannot figure out how to do this in Vista and I need to install a certificate in order to access my Outlook Web Access site on my company server... Can anyone help with this?
September 20th 06 10:04 PM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
1 527
What happened to the SID in tokens with the DesktopIntegrity flag? by Walter Porter
Hello: In earlier Vista betas, processes had two SIDs in their tokens related to mandatory access control: one had the "Integrity" flag in Process Explorer and the other had a flag like "DesktopIntegrity". SIDs with the Integrity flag still exist in build 5600, but the DesktopIntegrity flag has disappeared. What happened to it? I thought this was a special SID in the token related to...
September 26th 06 11:48 PM
by Walter Porter Go to last post

From The