Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
you should be aware of the threat by Mr. Arnold[_4_]
Stupid Usenet users: I have been away for a while; involuntary confinement in a Lunatic Asylum. Stupid Vista, the stupid OPs, their stupid questions, and your even more stupid answers caused this. Also, everything got on top of me; aunts, uncles, even the family dog. Gosh, I am sore. But, I can see light at the end of the tunnel (I think it is a train!) I try to take my Zoloft hourly (doctor's...
October 17th 08 09:51 AM
by Paul Montgomery[_4_] Go to last post
5 364
Disable Windows Updates on a user-basis or connection by Twan
How do I disable downloading Windows Updates on a user or a connection basis? Context: On our laptops we have a specific local user account for connecting to the Internet by UMTS / HSDPA. However we don't want Windows to use this connection for downloading updates. How to prevent?
October 17th 08 09:49 AM
by Paul Montgomery[_4_] Go to last post
4 338
ISATAP by ED
Hi, Vista SP1 with all updates. In Device Manager under "Network adapters", I have "isatap.zxcv.com". Does anyone know what this is? The driver for it is "tunnel.sys" signed by Microsoft, so what is this zxcv.com reference?
October 17th 08 06:42 AM
by Dianci Maichong Go to last post
1 404
Updater.exe by Painfull
Hi, I know this has been posted before because it's on this page http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/146182-updater-exe-keeps-flashing-task-bar.html only the original poster says he found a soulotion bij pressing the "details" options... I cant find it for the life of me.... so I'll just put a copy of my Registery keys here. This is
October 16th 08 11:10 PM
by jboz01 Go to last post
8 363
Vista Security Center by PA Bear [MS MVP]
What MS updates were installed "the other day"? Have you contacted McAfee Support about this? Have you purchased McAfee Security Center or is it a freebie from your ISP? Has another McAfee application every been installed? Has a Norton application ever been installed? -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
October 16th 08 01:35 PM
by foster Go to last post
8 317
cygwin\XWin.exe running using 100% percent cpu time and much bandw by Peter
My wife (who has no knowledge about cygwin) had xwin.exe running which used a lot of CPU and bandwith. I assume somebody was monitoring her desktop. How is this possible? Can this be done via the yahoo messenger?
October 16th 08 12:49 PM
by Paul Adare - MVP Go to last post
4 322
mouse moves on its own by puthp
hi, i know this sounds a little strange, but a few times now (in past few weeks since i've upgraded to vista) i've found the mouse has moved on its own. initially i thought perhaps i had moved the mouse, and there had been a delay in what i saw on-screen, so i ignored it. but just now, i put my hand on the mouse but didn't move it at all... and it very very quickly whizzed to the right, and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 16th 08 12:42 PM
by ahsatan Go to last post
11 550
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Jimmy Brush
Hello, If you have disabled the hiding of operating system files, you will see what appear to be system folders with familiar names like "Documents and Settings" and "My Music". They are shown with a transparent icon and a shortcut arrow. These are not really folders and contain no data. They are only there to assist some old programs. Windows Vista has moved or renamed many familiar locations.
October 16th 08 01:08 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
0 269
No sounds on Vista. by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
Sounds are turned on in Vista yet they don't play. What setting could I have missed and what can cause sounds to stop playing? The speakers work fine. All connections are secure. The little speaker icon is also missing from the taskbar. How can I get that back? TIA.......
October 15th 08 11:45 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 290
Well here is another UAC tool from Vista. by Mr. Arnold
http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Norton_Vista_tool_trades_UAC_for_online_feedback/1223668881 There was another one presented here a couple of months ago.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 15th 08 08:43 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
22 819
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Wandering[_2_]
In Vista, Documents and Settings is not a folder and you cannot store anything in it. It is a junction point that serves only to send anything on to the proper folder User folder where such things are stored in Vista. I know it looks like a folder, but it is NOT. It is more like a shortcut, and by way of analogy, you know you cannot store anything in a shortcut. It is there so that older...
October 15th 08 07:59 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
0 267
How to reinstall Defender by Charlie
Vista Home Premium. I uninstalled Windows Defender and now cannot reinstall it as the installer says "Vista already includes Defender" Is there a work around to my dumb mistake???
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 15th 08 05:25 PM
by Engel Go to last post
10 485
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by DDW[_3_]
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:52:12 -0700, "ITNews" wrote: As I was trying to browse got the following message: Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. Normal behavior. That's only a shortcut for use by older programs. You want "Documents".
October 15th 08 03:59 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
0 301
Recommendations for Anti malware on Home premium by Gordon[_5_]
I've just ditched OneCare owing to the total inability of MS support to understand and reply to an infuriating but very straightforward and simple problem I had with it. So I need recommendations for a (hopefully) free Malware app that I can set a schedule up in. (I already have Acronis Home for backup and I'm trying Antivir for AV) Thanks
October 15th 08 03:32 PM
by CTOS Go to last post
6 340
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Malke[_2_]
ITNews wrote: As I was trying to browse got the following message: Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. Cannot browse the folder even after I took the ownership. Any help will be appreciated!
October 15th 08 02:57 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
0 261
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Jon Wallace
Hi, On Vista, C:\Documents and Settings is not actually a folder, it's a symbolic link. The folder containing the user data is C:\Users... Where C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe would have existed, it's not C:\Users\John Doe - the Docs and Settings link is provided for backward compatibility for applications... Hope this helps,
October 15th 08 02:21 PM
by Jon Wallace Go to last post
0 267
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by R. C. White
Hi, ITNews. Documents and settings is a folder in WinXP and prior. It does not exist in Vista, except as a "Junction Point" for the benefit of legacy programs that have not been updated to work in Vista. In Vista, look in each user's Documents folder. By default, find each one in: C:\Users\username\Documents
October 15th 08 01:51 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
0 257
Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied. by Dave[_29_]
In Vista, it's not a folder. Vista uses a different file structure than XP does/did. Those familiar folder names you may be used to, like "My Documents", "Documents & Settings", etc. are not folders in Vista. They are junction points, and are used for legacy programs which were written to utilize the XP file structure. They will redirect the programs to use the equivalent Vista folders. If...
October 15th 08 01:06 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
0 316
Local Policies in Home Premium by conker87
I'm currently trying to connect to my Univerity's Intranet, they have a tutorial on how to change the policies in XP Home, Pro but not Vista. I have to: - Change the 'Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level - to "Send NTLMv2 Response only. RefuseLM and NTLM."
October 15th 08 12:22 PM
by conker87 Go to last post
2 293
Setacl.exe supported in Windows Vista? by ashapadmanabhan[_2_]
Hi, SetAcl.exe is supported with Windows vista? Please guide me, so I can use this exe to restrict my registry entry in Windows vista Regards, Asha
October 15th 08 03:04 AM
by Salvador Manaois III Go to last post

From The