Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Problems installing Symantec Anti-Virus by Harry-in-Daegu
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2) (32-bit) on a Toshiba Satellite A215. I'm trying to install Symantec Endpoint Protection (32-bit) that I downloaded from the ACERT website for home use. (Unmanaged, typical install). For some reason, it gets to: Removing System Registry Values in the install process, then says, "Rolling back action," and cancels the install. It says, "The...
March 7th 10 07:46 AM
by Harry-in-Daegu Go to last post
0 333
change local policy in Windows Vista Home without using regedit! by No Name
Hi would you like to change local policy without using regedit? I explained "step by step" for vista home premium users in my weblog. http://netprofessional.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=cat%3dwindows%2520clients%2520%2528xp%252cvista%252cseven%2529 Video download link:
March 7th 10 07:33 AM
by No Name Go to last post
0 353
change local policy in Windows Vista Home without using regedit! by No Name
Hi would you like to change local policy without using regedit? I explained "step by step" for vista home premium users in my weblog. http://netprofessional.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=cat%3dwindows%2520clients%2520%2528xp%252cvista%252cseven%2529 Video download link:
March 7th 10 07:33 AM
by No Name Go to last post
0 764
E-Mail me by FromTheRafters[_3_]
Girlfriend steppin' out on you again? Maybe it's not *her* fault. Maybe she seeks maturity in a partner?
March 6th 10 01:32 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
0 357
Can't change permissions by mkr10001
Well basically, i found some software which can sort your videos and rename them properly according to imdb blah blah blah not important, and there's a feature that will sort the files into their own folders. i.e make a new folder named after the file and move the file in to it. but it stopped working, and i've got it into my head that it's to do with permissions. i dont have modify rights of...
March 5th 10 10:15 PM
by mkr10001 Go to last post
0 342
Hpw to stop FanBox sending spam to my e-mail by adilsiv
Hi Guys, Recentyl I have received a notification e-mail from a known friend "do you want you to be my friend on this community site,even without had a second thought I clicked on it. Now I am in great trouble everyday at least 3 spams are coming to my public e-mail address. How can i stop it?
March 3rd 10 10:46 AM
by adilsiv Go to last post
0 308
Volume ACL on Vista. by Jean-Paul Blanc
Hi, I wrote a small program using QueryDosDevice(...) API to get the volume name associated to an unit name (A:, B:, C: etc.). I, then, use CreateFile(...) and SetSecurityInfo(...) to modifie the DACL of the volume, so that I can allow or deny users or groups to acces to the Unit. This is done dynamicaly by a service detecting the unit arrival. To be clear, the same thing can be done with :
March 2nd 10 07:52 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
6 587
router question from dummy by iluv my kitties and family
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the...
March 2nd 10 06:15 PM
by Pete Delgado[_2_] Go to last post
2 440
router question from dummy by iluv my kitties and family
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the...
March 2nd 10 01:39 PM
by iluv my kitties and family Go to last post
0 332
Data Execution by tom
Dose anybody no how to fix this problem. When i plug in my i pod,mobile phone, or my hard drive popup window keeps comming up com surrogate was closed, have went to the settings to try to stop this but cant. when i plug in the hard drive rundll 32 shuts down my system. thanks tommy.
March 1st 10 03:40 PM
by tom Go to last post
0 314
Denied permission to access folders by Jack K
I recently purchased a new external hard drive and I set about transferring files from my old XP computer to my new hard drive that I then connected to my Sony Vaio laptop. Most files on the new hard drive are accessible on my Vista laptop, but a large group (100 Gig) of video editing folders and files are not accessible. I get these messages: "You don't currently have permission to access...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 27th 10 12:48 PM
by Bjorn Jensen Go to last post
34 1,530
Verisoft Access Manager by Mark
I have used Verisoft Access Manager with Vista for many years. Loging on the Windows using a fingerprint always previously automatically logged onto Verisoft. Recently (I guess since a recent Windows update), Loging on to windows does not automatically log onto Verisoft. I have to click this icon and rescan my fingerprint. How can I adjuct the configuration to its previous setting? I have...
February 26th 10 09:23 AM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
2 434
Verisoft Access Manager by Mark
I have used Verisoft Access Manager with Vista for many years. Loging on the Windows using a fingerprint always previously automatically logged onto Verisoft. Recently (I guess since a recent Windows update), Loging on to windows does not automatically log onto Verisoft. I have to click this icon and rescan my fingerprint. How can I adjuct the configuration to its previous setting? I have...
February 26th 10 07:56 AM
by Mark Go to last post
0 311
Do I need a router for protection? by Bob
My questions: Do I need a router for protection? Will it significantly improve my protection? When does "The Law of Diminishing Returns" apply if it would help just a little? I have been reading about security. One site said a router makes my computer "invisible" on the internet. And another said "In very basic terms, a router will automatically reject unsolicited inbound communications...
February 26th 10 04:03 AM
by Terry Heinz Go to last post
6 545
Do I need a router for protection? by Bob
My questions: Do I need a router for protection? Will it significantly improve my protection? When does "The Law of Diminishing Returns" apply if it would help just a little? I have been reading about security. One site said a router makes my computer "invisible" on the internet. And another said "In very basic terms, a router will automatically reject unsolicited inbound communications...
February 25th 10 06:52 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 282
I thought commercial sites are safe by Bob
My question: If I had gone to the site Monday morning and hovered my mouse over the infected ad, would I have gotten this virus? I use Vista32 Home Premium, updated daily, avast! antivirus 5.0 as my security software set to maximum protection with auto update, PC Tools Firewall Plus that I monitor to make sure it is set correct and I always run vista in standard user account (not Admin). ...
February 24th 10 02:30 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 319
I thought commercial sites are safe by Bob
My question: If I had gone to the site Monday morning and hovered my mouse over the infected ad, would I have gotten this virus? I use Vista32 Home Premium, updated daily, avast! antivirus 5.0 as my security software set to maximum protection with auto update, PC Tools Firewall Plus that I monitor to make sure it is set correct and I always run vista in standard user account (not Admin). ...
February 24th 10 02:10 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 497
How much of a chance am I infected? by Bob
I reinstalled Vista. I thought I disconnected my network wire from my cable modem before I started the reinstall. The first thing I did when I could get Vista running was setup a standard user account and finished the reinstall and updates in that and not in admin account. I downloaded SP1 & SP2 files before reinstall so I did not have to download it during reinstall but just double...
February 23rd 10 12:27 AM
by Bob Go to last post
6 475
How much of a chance am I infected? by Bob
I reinstalled Vista. I thought I disconnected my network wire from my cable modem before I started the reinstall. The first thing I did when I could get Vista running was setup a standard user account and finished the reinstall and updates in that and not in admin account. I downloaded SP1 & SP2 files before reinstall so I did not have to download it during reinstall but just double...
February 22nd 10 05:55 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 311
Is the Attached log PROOF that my computer was HACKED?? by Borrowed_Time
I discovered this log which I copied to a text file and attached to this thread. Please take a look and let me know if it is proof that my computer has been hacked. I own this computer which is located at my house and it is NOT used for work. I believe my computer was hacked several months ago and Windows Group Policy was installed, since now I have totall lossed control (yes sounds odd, but...
February 19th 10 03:14 AM
by Borrowed_Time Go to last post

From The