Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Tool to view/edit the MIC labels in the SACLs of secureable objects? by Walter Porter
Hello: Is there a tool to view or edit the mandatory integrity control labels (System, High, Medium, Low) in the system access control lists (SACLs) of secureable objects like NTFS files? Thank You!
September 27th 06 03:47 AM
by Walter Porter Go to last post
1 549
Satisfying UAC ... by Gary G. Little
I haven't seen this discussed, and may even have the wrong subject. In observation I see that apps such as Trend Micro, McAfee, Mail, Word, and Office Outlook when executed do not get the UAC dialog box. Am I correct in assuming that this is because these apps have the proper credentials to satisfy UAC when they are launched? Does this require an Authenticode certificate in signing these...
September 27th 06 09:35 PM
by Gary G. Little Go to last post
2 514
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by otiasj
Hello, thank you for taking the time to explain UAC, Q: UAC is Microsoft's way of controlling my computer and preventing me from using it! A: This is 100% UNTRUE. UAC puts control of your computer IN YOUR HANDS by allowing you to prevent unwanted programs from accessing your computer. *Everything* that you can do with UAC turned off, you can do with it turned on. If this is...
September 28th 06 04:08 AM
by otiasj Go to last post
0 493
Can't get pass the Bitlocker Check by Or Tsemah
I've configured my drives correctly and set the Policy for allowing non-TPM USB Mode. but every time i try to run the System-check it reports that my USB Drive cannot be read from the BIOS. I've tried this on multiple BIOS-Updated Systems and still get the same result. I use build 5728\RC1 Ent. Edition
September 28th 06 06:27 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
5 602
eTrust to Avast! by iam bennu
Loved Avast and it worked well until the latest build. I am just going to wait until they come out with a new version or fix for it. It was too good to used anything else available. I have been a long time Zone alarm user, and loved it, but until they make one for Vista, Avast is a blast! bennu
September 28th 06 02:07 PM
by R Geoffrey Crook Go to last post
1 585
Onecare - Antivirus - Vista x64 by rapierau
You would think with the amount of people running 64bit processors and with the relatively close release of Vista that somebody in Microsoft would be getting themselves organised by now to port Onecare to the 64 bit platform, now that its effectively retail on 32bit (still supported) platforms. For sometime now I have been running Vista x64 on the family PC and compared with XP its a breeze and...
September 28th 06 06:31 PM
by dick gordon Go to last post
1 700
windows update by ddnwolff
Does anybody know what website windows update is using with vista rc1? I am getting an error when it t?
September 29th 06 01:06 AM
by djps55 Go to last post
4 523
Anyone tried Windows OneCare Live? by barnyf
I don't see where anyone has mentioned MS's own AV software...WOC.Live -- barny
September 29th 06 05:13 AM
by ScottyDog55 Go to last post
9 575
Vista security blocking my virus scanner by tiipe
I recently installed the RC1 build and wanted to install F-Secure Client Security as well. The installation went fine and everything seems to be working except the update function. Vista blocks the automatic updater at startup and after that the manual wont work (obviously neither does the automatic one). It says the updater is not classified yet. Is there any way to let it run?
September 29th 06 10:56 AM
by cyanna Go to last post
2 468
UAC & PST File Access by Thomas
I just installed 5728 on a dual boot system. I also installed the Office 2007 Beta Refresh. Since I am using a dual boot configuration with office installed both on XP SP2 and Vista, I would like to share the same PST (located on my XP drive). When I try to access the PST from Vista, I am told that I do not have the permission do so. After turning UAC off, I can access the file. If I...
September 29th 06 03:28 PM
by Thomas Go to last post
0 499
Unable to pipe result to a file in DOS by larivro
I tried to do a dir *.* /s files.txt and I received an access denied message. Anyone know how to fix this? I am part of the administrator groups so privilages should not be an issue although whenever I start a new program a the user account control window pops up and asks my permission to allow the program to continue.
September 29th 06 08:20 PM
by Tyler Hunt [MS] Go to last post
1 536
TechTAK Again by Raven Mill
Hiya folks... It's almost time for TechTAK again. Those of you outside Alaska can listen in on our web stream via IceCast. We air every Saturday at 6pm AKDT (AKDT is -9 from GMT) (Show ends at 8pm AKDT) 7pm PDT 8pm MDT 9pm CDT 10pm EDT ...
September 30th 06 12:25 AM
by Raven Mill Go to last post
1 614
adminpak.msi for Vista? by
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?
September 30th 06 02:28 AM
by Rock Go to last post
5 577
BitLocker Recovery not working on Lenovo T60 by sandeep
I have been able to make BitLocker work with the TPM on a Lenovo Thinkpad T60. BUT I am running into problems when I try to do a BitLocker recovery. In order to test the recovery, I inactivated the TPM in the BIOS utility and as expected BitLocker prompts me for the recovery password. It seems to accept the password and seems like windows is booting but it crashes with a blue screen after a...
September 30th 06 05:57 AM
by Jamie Hunter [MS] Go to last post
3 543
AVG Free will work with 5600 and 5728 but... by Rick
First, I turned off UAC and rebooted. Then I ran the install program in Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. It was also set it as run as Administrator. When the installation was complete I then rebooted. With the AVG virus program updated and running properly I enabled UAC again and rebooted. Now AVG is working and I have no compatibility warnings from Vista. When I originally tried...
September 30th 06 10:47 AM
by pippin Go to last post
3 485
ebanking web site running JVM by CM
Hi All, I found I call logon ebanking web site which is using JVM. Even I installed latest Java from java.com. How can solve it. Thanks. CM
September 30th 06 06:30 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
2 530
OneCare by ScottyDog55
OC will not install on Vista. Period. OCBeta will send previous beta testers a notice when OC becomes available for Vista. Please don't tell people to go ahead and use a product when it's not compatable, and Vista will not allow it to install anyway due to the compatability issues.
September 30th 06 11:11 PM
by Dark Knight Go to last post
1 560
PCcillin vs Avast by ScottyDog55
Now that the compatability issues have been resolved, Avast is my choice of AV software. Trend was really affecting my IE performance, let alone the overall performance of my build 5728. even if I never have liked the avast "VCR" skin, I've been using it for a long time. I've tested most of the AV software out there for xp, and they all suck in some way or another. The best protection...
October 1st 06 01:24 AM
by ScottyDog55 Go to last post
0 513
Data leakage among users by Roof Fiddler
I installed Quicken on Vista, and ran it as one user, and then when I ran it as another user at the same time, quicken complained that it was already being run by another user. So Vista is leaking data among users, specifically, that other users are running particular programs. This is a security problem. A program running in one user account should have no way to know whether that same...
October 1st 06 10:32 AM
by Garry Grolman Go to last post
6 534
Standard user has problems running Flash player by immune2snow
I've set up a "Standard user" account for my son, but he is not able to play his flash based game on it. The game works fine when IE is run as administrator. The game is on http://www.clubpenguin.com and uses Flash 9. I cannot find any indication as to what isn't working: there are no 'yellow bar' messages, event viewer messages, parental control logs. I've tried switching the firewall off...
October 1st 06 12:11 PM
by BillD Go to last post

From The