Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Disabling AGRAVATING warning when embedded object is activiated by DannyBones
Whenever I activate an embedded MP3 in Word or Open Office, I get the following nag: Open Package Contents The Package you are about to open is a file type that can be unsafe. It could harm your computer! Unelss you are absolutely certain about the nature, source, and contents of this package, please press the Cancel button. I MUST DISABLE THIS OR I WILL GO CRAZY!!!!! Please, is there any...
May 16th 08 01:11 AM
by DannyBones Go to last post
2 275
Compatibility Tab Privilege Level greyed out by Jeremey
Hello, I have an issue with a new domain setup. New Server 2003 R2 AD server, basic install, default settings. Two new Vista Business Ed boxes. We have an application that needs the Privilege Level Run as Administrator checked (according to the application developer it runs with the box checkec), but no matter what user I log in as, Domain Admin, Local Admin, etc.. the box is always...
May 15th 08 10:27 PM
by MajinBoo Go to last post
6 238
Rundll32 error in IE by richene416
Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I want to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal, how do I fix it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 15th 08 09:26 PM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
14 629
Defender Error 0x800703eb by bilvihur
Since updating to the latest definitions, I've been getting this error. Popup tells me that WD has stopped working, but Security Center says it is working. What's the story? Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 15th 08 04:38 PM
by Dave M[_8_] Go to last post
12 699
Vista: Full of surprises by [email protected]
I'm new to Vista and haven't "disabled" UAC yet so am in the midst of enduring all those nagging UAC popup boxes. Yes, I have TweakUAC ready for that. Recently installed a talking dictionary application dated from the 16 bit Windows era (1994) and to my surprise there wasn't a single glitch or pop-up. There are no pop-ups when opening it either and it actually works better on Vista than XP....
May 15th 08 11:46 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 272
Is that an overkill ? by t-4-2[_98_]
Hello everyone, I have a feeling that I got "carried away" installing all those "protection" programs. I have : -- McAfee, CCleaner, Spybot Search&Destroy, WinDirtStat, Ad-Aware 2007(free), SuperAntiSpyware(free), Auslogic Disk Defrag. Should I get rid of one or two programs ? -- t-4-2
May 15th 08 04:56 AM
by Milo Go to last post
3 308
Vista event id 675 pre-authentication type 0x0 faliure code 0x19 by Lazarus439
I am getting dozens of entries like these in the security log on a Windows 2003 DC with SP2 installed. The great majority of these errors are from a Vista machine and a user on the Vista machine (me), but not all of there are. However, they seemed to start appearing when the Vista machine joined the network. In addition, when a Vista-equipped laptop comes to my site from another one on...
May 14th 08 07:16 PM
by Lazarus439 Go to last post
0 514
MS Defender error 0x800705b4 by Stonebow Witham
Can someone help me solve this MS Defender error please?
May 14th 08 07:08 PM
by MowGreen [MVP] Go to last post
1 343
Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker by Nav
Hello, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and have encrypted some files using Vista. I have made a backup copy of the encryption key certificate on a USB drive using Certificate Manager, but I would also like to take advantage of the Online Backup option provided within Vista (Control Panel=Security=Secure Online Key Backup=Save your EFS recovery certificate). However, when I...
May 14th 08 05:56 PM
by LennyP Go to last post
5 389
Error message by Ian
Please advise why I seem to get the following message on shutdown and how can I rectify the situation. Thanks for your help. quote Failure - Security Options -- Logon process has failed to create the security options dialogue unquote
May 14th 08 12:33 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 343
Problem with Windows Vista and Trend Micro PC-Cillin Security 14 by workoutfreak
My computer takes a long time to shut down and when i log back onto windows it always tells me that windows was shut down incorrectly due to an incompatibility with my version of windows caused by my Trend Micro PC-Cillin Security 14 program. It offers the suggestion to go to the Trend Micro website for updates, but there aren't any updates for it that have to do with vista integration. So...
May 14th 08 10:58 AM
by Diane King Go to last post
9 322
cygwin fails on Vista and Win Enterprise only, telnet "switching to user andy failed" by No Name
Hi On Windows Vista and Win2003 SP2 Enterprise _only_ we have seen an odd thing happening when logging on using telnet. telnet into machine work but inside telnet prompt "switching to user andy failed" cygwin inetd service, who runs the telnet service, is running as "Local System" account and interact with desktop.
May 14th 08 07:13 AM
by No Name Go to last post
0 227
Streamline functions in Vista by Hans
Hi, Whats the best way to modify the available function in vista to a user ? Situation: students with a mental handicap are learning to work with pc, but we want to give them only 2 applications, and a stop function. All other default function of Vista have to be disabled. Anybody an idea ? Thanks,
May 14th 08 03:19 AM
by Carey Frisch [MVP][_2_] Go to last post
1 302
hyperlinks not working by Jack Riceater[_2_]
Hi there! must have done some weird setting somewhere, and now NONE of my hyperlinks in Office or Outlook are working any more. I got a message : This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system administrator. probably only a matter of checking or un-checking a box some where, but where??
May 13th 08 04:12 PM
by Carpadum Go to last post
1 300
DCOM Thumbnail.dll permissions by MR X9
I am gettig a DCOM error - 10016 - with the Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server and I believe this is why my Vista PC is crashing, especially when using the media center with the XBOX 360. I have looked on these discussions and found that the problem is due to the security permission for the DLL, yet when I go to component services and try and change the properties, the security TAB is greyed...
May 13th 08 09:58 AM
by Riko Go to last post
5 340
Windows Security - Logon to Pop.Wanadoo.co.uk by merlin
all of a sudden yesterday, when trying to access my e-mail incoming mail, I got a box saying, Windows Mail. Logon to pop.wanadoo.co.uk please verify both the username and password are correct for your mail server. When I put in both and then ok, it does not accept it and comes back asking again. Basically I can't access my mail account through windows mail. The error messages I keep getting...
May 13th 08 07:42 AM
by merlin Go to last post
2 338
Windows Security Center doesn't recognize CA Anti Virus by Dina
Running Vista Home Premium CA Anti Virus 8.4.0.24 The security center warns me that I have no anti virus when clearly I do (see above) The security center will NOT turn on Windows Defender even after I have told it to and it scaned for updates. WHY?
May 12th 08 08:09 PM
by sunilchopra Go to last post
5 262
Hot to control updates by Mike S.
I have Vista Ultimate installed on a laptop. The onboard audio uses Sountek as the driver but Vista keeps installing Realtek AC'97 as the driver for it. The realtek driver puts my audio into a situation where I get the red 'X' bu the speaker in the taskbak, along with something about 'No audio device is installed'. When I reinstall the Soundtek drivers, the audio comes back and works...
May 12th 08 07:19 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
9 438
Problem pinging computer on a domain using Vista Business by Flip Lewis
I have 2 laptops set up at home on the same workgroup using the same router. Laptop1 - XP Pro SP2 Laptop2 - Vista Business Both machines are running the same version of Norton 360 Antivirus. Both machines have Windows Firewall turned off. With both machines I VPN into the client gatway successfully. I try
May 12th 08 03:49 PM
by Flip Lewis Go to last post
0 302
How do I update a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain to include GP's for Vista? by Paul Shapiro
Login to a Vista workstation as a Domain Admin, or some other account with permission to edit Group Policy. From the Run menu type gpmc.msc, which will bring up Vista's Group Policy Console. That should bring up the domain's group policy for editing, with the Vista editing capabilities. "webJose" wrote in message...
May 12th 08 01:06 PM
by Paul Shapiro Go to last post

From The