Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Encryption problem ! by EUGENE
Hi I encrypt all my mp3 music files with Vista Ultimate. After that I re- install Vista Ultimate again. Now I want to move, copy or play them but I can't. I try to undo the encryption and Vista refuse. I try copy it to a cd but it won't allow me. I try nearly ererything but I can't undo it. Can somebody please help me. Eugene Claassen
April 28th 08 01:45 AM
by Brian Komar \(MVP\) Go to last post
2 324
lost my password by CRAIG
Hi Can anyone help me with recovery of my administrator password?. I have misplaced it and cannot enable my firewall. Is there anything i can do?
April 27th 08 09:26 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
4 298
Updater.exe keeps flashing in task bar by DMD guy
When I click on Updater.exe it tells me that an unidentified program wants access to my computer. Since it's unidentified, I don't know if I want it or not, so I've always denied it. But to have this happen about every 20 minutes if very annoying. How can I find out what the program is and/or to stop the updater from flashing so often? Thanks -- ldl
April 27th 08 07:44 PM
by DMD guy Go to last post
9 329
IE protected mode in Vista by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost. Sounds like your MyProg BHO wasn't written with Vista and UAC in mind, Viatly. Have you considered instructing users to log in as Administrator before installing MyProg? -- ~PA Bear Viatly wrote:
April 27th 08 03:37 PM
by Viatly Go to last post
1 264
IE7 has stopped working by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Oh, jeez, another one where Norton screwed the pooch! IMHO, all NIS 2008 components should have been disabled prior to installing SP1. At this point, I'd strongly recommend that you avail yourself of your free support options: Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available at no charge through 18 Mar-09 • US:
April 25th 08 02:38 PM
by Leonard Grey Go to last post
1 266
Spyware dpevflbg by balloonboy
Recently I was infected with the dpevflbg Toolbar. I have Norton 360, Windows defender, and PC Tools Spyware Doctor. This malware got through and I am having trouble removing a couple of remaining issues. The toolbar itself is gone, however, along with the sluggish performance of my computer, I have a banner on almost every web page saying: "Warning possible spyware infection! Click here to scan...
April 24th 08 11:54 PM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
7 382
Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner by rongarden
Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms? Thanks if you can help. --...
April 24th 08 09:02 PM
by Engel Go to last post
6 287
WPA2 configuration by oakridge
New HP desktop with LAN. 2yr old hp laptop using linksys router for wireless. New wireless connection is WEP. Linksys tech says my router supports WPA2, however, when I try to change the configuration to WPA2 it kicks me off-line and I have to go back to my wired desktop to change settings back to WEP. On my security properties it has a dropdown box with WPA2 option, but when checked it...
April 24th 08 07:22 PM
by oakridge Go to last post
2 283
SP1 BUG: Code Integrity Error for tcpip.sys in Event Viewer by BillD
I installed the SP1 via Windows Update on April 15. In the event viewer, starting from April 16, I have a lot of Code Integrity Errors for tcpip.sys every day.
April 24th 08 03:30 PM
by BillD Go to last post
0 242
UAC Conflict With Explorer by Doo[_4_]
Unlike a lot of people I actually don't mind the UAC running in the background. BUT... When I boot up my machine I get UAC prompting me to allow Explorer to run and the controls for my graphics card. Is there a way to permanently allow these programs to run? In other words, can you set up allowances for individual programs? Cheers, Ian
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 24th 08 12:35 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
14 475
author problem by pierluigi.magnani[_2_]
Hi, I have a link on my desktop to a program that run on a server, but everytime i open it, it gives me that error: "Impossible to verify the author. Execute the software?" (I have try to translate it from italian to english). The problem is that I wouldn't click everytime on "Execute", becouse I'm shure that the program is secure.. How can I resolve this problem? thank you
April 24th 08 08:08 AM
by pierluigi.magnani[_2_] Go to last post
0 255
Problem with IP resolving by pierluigi.magnani
Hi, I have a problem and i hope that someone can help me. I work in a network with two domain servers, for example "goofy.it" and "minnie.local" (with the same ip class). I have some computers with windows vista in the goofy's domain with a link to a program that run on the server minnie. Now, if I try to ping, from one of these pc, "minnie" or his IP address, there isn't problems, but if i...
April 24th 08 07:22 AM
by pierluigi.magnani Go to last post
0 235
pls someone help me ! by tech[_2_]
I couldn't make my lap-top update. Gives me "couldn't check update" and "update-error code 80070246". And also while starting-up it gives me "checking uptades" after welcome message. please help me to solve this problem thanks Murat. -- tech
April 23rd 08 06:49 PM
by Gordon Go to last post
9 264
Synching local and network passwords by Alan
How can I synchronize my local computer and network passwords, so I don`t have to type both in every time? In XP, I could log on and specify a domain, once I synced them. Not sure how to do this in Vista. Thanks in advance, Alan
April 23rd 08 01:00 AM
by Alan Go to last post
0 256
How to Avoid Security Warnings for Our Access Application by Rod Wright
Background: We developed a program to integrate a large amount of data for National Air and Space Museum (NASM) volunteer use. The program works fine, but our users are relatively unsophisticated volunteers. They get confused by the warnings issued by Access when opening our program. Our users run at multiple Win2K and XP machines and load our program and the data over the Smithsonian...
April 23rd 08 12:11 AM
by Michael D. Ober Go to last post
4 261
Hotmail/Yahoo certificate issues by Robert
Just started yesterday after an automatic update. I cannot access either of these emails. It says the certificate is no longer valid and only allows me to close out the page. If i go into internet options, advanced security tab and uncheck the box by look for certification expired or whatever it will let me in but then automatically rechecks itself after closing out IE. Whats the deal???...
April 22nd 08 09:17 PM
by Dori[_4_] Go to last post
3 247
Specific logon - Information requested on by Lester Stiefel
The following has been listen in the logbook viewer in "home premium". Can someone help me with the type login? Log Name: Security Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Date: 2008-04-20 18:45:10 Event ID: 4624 Task Category: login Level: Information Keywords: Audit Success
April 22nd 08 08:35 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 266
WMP and Unknown IP's by Shadow
Hi, I have Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1. As Anti-Virus I have AVG Free Edition 7.5 and Windows Defender. Windows Firewall is On. When I open Windows Media Player to play some audio files (mp3) and I look in "Resource Monitor" I see in Network window alot of IPs... Image: Windows Media Player (wmplayer.exe) / PID: 2293 / Address: 87.248.217.99 But more then one line... and...
April 22nd 08 05:24 PM
by Shadow Go to last post
2 311
trojan/adware pop up on vista by Sunil[_2_]
I have my Vista updated with all the latest patches ( also with SP1) , I also have upto date windows defender. Still i get a pop up frequently coming up. Any clues how to get rid of this. Yes I also have auto popup blocked on IE . The user working on the system is a normal user who does not have any administrative preveliges. Appriciate some response.
April 22nd 08 03:10 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 305
Windows Vista SP1 repair/update RMS Client component by Sean Watson[_2_]
Hi We were running Windows Server 2003 Rights Management Services in our IT Dept. as the final stage of testing before product signoff. We have since completely reinstalled the system for the production environment, purchased digital certs and registered the respective aliases on our external domain. The new environment works perfectly on new machines that were never part of the...
April 22nd 08 09:36 AM
by Sean Watson[_2_] Go to last post

From The