Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
dial-up connection login used for Kerberos ticket request by Ondrej Sevecek
hello, I have a rather complicated setup: - Vista SP0 (localized unfortunatelly) - logging on with a domain user (may be from cache when offline) - CDMA dial-up connection using a login of a form: - giving me 10.166.1.x - NetBIOS disabled - VPN connection to a company network using a login of a form: domain\user
April 10th 08 04:48 PM
by Ondrej Sevecek Go to last post
0 282
McAfee by Jase
Grr! I installed McAfee the latest one and it errored and it wouldnt let me use Vista!!!! how rude is that, i thought microsoft sorted this big problem with security software? I did go into safe mode and removed it through there and everything is working now.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 10th 08 01:40 PM
by Bob Go to last post
24 892
Activating auto updates by silas[_2_]
I have a new gateway notebook and the automatice update feature is not active. When I to to the page to activate it the page has no function to do so. How do I address this issue.
April 10th 08 11:19 AM
by Robin[_2_] Go to last post
3 289
How to unblock a blocked file by sdgreen
I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally? --
April 9th 08 11:20 PM
by Steve E. Go to last post
9 384
Microsoft Security Bulletins for April 2008 by Donna Buenaventura
Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing or try later. MS08-018 - Vulnerability in Microsoft Project Could Allow Remote Code Execution (950183) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS08-018.mspx MS08-019 - Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Visio Could Allow Remote Code Execution...
April 9th 08 04:05 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
7 544
html stripped from emails by Asad
Hi, I'm running Outlook 2003 on Vista. Certain important emails received as bulk mails and also some read receipts the html are stripped out and the message is displayed as ASCII. The same email appear fine on my handheld device. I can't see any firewall or spam settings on my pc. Any ideas how to correct this on my pc.
April 9th 08 05:41 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
1 262
adware win32 by Hayles
Help!! Windows Defender Scan keeps saying i have AdwaWin32/Generic.A High Threat. I click on remove all but when i run the scan again it reappears!! I also have spyware terminator and that picks up and this keeps reappearing also! Any help with this would be fantastic as i am still a learner!!!! Cheers
April 8th 08 04:57 PM
by best friend Go to last post
2 270
Unknown Directory by Dr Rolando E Creagh[_2_]
Gentlemen, Perhaps I am paranoid, but it upset me a lot when I see an unknown and unexpected directory (C:\TVTOS) which refuses to allow exploration. No only is not accessible, it has 0 bytes, 0 folders, is read only and also applied to files in folder (which there are none, if the statement is believable), is Hidden, does not display a current owner ("unable to display current owner"), and...
April 8th 08 04:56 PM
by Dr Rolando E Creagh[_2_] Go to last post
2 259
I cannot allow a programme to run, Defender does not enable me by LanM
Hi I have a back-up programme that is being blocked by Widows Defender and I have to unblock it every time I power on. The Windows Defeder Help tells me "The next time Windows Defender alerts you about the software, on the Action menu in the Alert dialog box, click Always Allow. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."
April 8th 08 04:45 PM
by PaulB Go to last post
3 233
defender won t update and windows can t look for updates either:er by oana
80070005 is the no of the error.please help me! thank you
April 8th 08 02:34 AM
by Bob Go to last post
8 265
Creating a User Account Password by rbaiocco
I was helping a friend set up Vista on his new computer and I thought it would be a trivial thing to create a password for the only existing account "OWNER-adminstrator" but Windows would not allow me to do it. I went to CONTROL PANEL - USER ACCOUNTS - CREATE A PASSWORD FOR YOUR ACCOUNT and no matter what I entered an error message returned "WINDOWS CANNOT CHANGE PASSWORD" (I don't believe...
April 8th 08 01:48 AM
by rbaiocco Go to last post
0 233
Outlook 2003 unblock attachment by leightra
Trying to unblock a url attachments, tried downloading unblocking program doesn't work. It is not blocked by google, tried that. Any other suggestions? -- leightra
April 8th 08 01:12 AM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
2 220
help please by recommend3
Iv'e installed avg ,it works but their are two icons,on is a complete test,how to i remove it?
April 7th 08 10:43 PM
by robinb Go to last post
3 253
"a change was made by a known application" alert by halwizardoflittle
Windows defender is giving me an alert that reads as SUBJ line says whenever I go to connect or disconnect to a network and it lists MSWSOCK.dll. What change was made? I click on the bubble that pops up and it either goes away or the configfree selection box pops up. this has been happening since I installed the Winows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) update a few days ago. what did it (the...
April 7th 08 10:42 PM
by robinb Go to last post
1 256
Looking for an encryption software by Pete[_7_]
I am looking for an encryption tool to encrypt the exnternal harddrive and network drive. Here is what I want. When I copy the files to the external harddrive, the files are encrypted on the fly. The applications on my machine can read/write to the drive seamlessly. They don't even aware that the drive is encrypted. I don't have to enter the passcode to set up the encrypted drive when the...
April 7th 08 10:16 PM
by Alun Jones Go to last post
1 231
security block by Ollakal
I recently installed Vista on my computer, now I cnt go any internet site, whern ever i try to open a website, I am getting this " your security settings level puts your computer at risk. to fix this click on the information bar above and choose fix settings for me. on top of that I cant install Active X, I cant open my company website, because its asking me to install Active X and I...
April 7th 08 09:01 PM
by Ollakal Go to last post
0 233
Windows Defender will not auto start by Andrew
System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall. Windows Defender is set to Auto-start. At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender is not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security Centre to turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it returns a message saying no updates are available, and WD is still turned...
April 7th 08 04:48 AM
by Andrew Go to last post
6 293
Serious bug in AVG 7.5.519: avginet.exe uses 100% CPU core by mikk
AVG Free 7.5.519 has a serious bug in avginet.exe. Very often, the morning AVG update fails and in the task manager you can see avginet.exe is using 100% CPU core and it remains in deadlock!
April 7th 08 04:46 AM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
7 260
Remote Firewall by MDefl
I am unable to access many of the common websites on the internet. The cause is apparently from a remote firewall that is not from Windows. Someone in my family may have downloaded something by accident. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot my computer to find this program and remove it? Thanks
April 7th 08 04:35 AM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
3 219
How to open firewall log file in Vista home premium? by Rob
I have enabled dropped packet logging in Vista Windows Firewall (Advanced Security).When I try to open the log file pfirewall.log it comes back Access Denied. I am logged in as Administrator so that doesnt seem to be the reason.Have tried opening in notepad and wordpad but no good. Any clues about how I can read the file?
April 6th 08 11:46 PM
by Rob Go to last post

From The