Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
password problems by kosmo24
Just purchases a used laptop. I nont have previous owners personal password to get to desktop. How do I get passed this to delete his password and set my own ? -- kosmo
December 6th 07 07:54 PM
by kosmo24 Go to last post
0 263
Login panel shows all users twice - why? by Michael Moser
On my new vista laptop I have defined 2 users. When I start the machine the login panel shows each user's icon TWICE. Why is this so? Of course this does no harm, but I find it simply strange... Michael
December 6th 07 05:43 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 292
win xp reinstall by jukebox
Can I reformat my hard drive then reinstall Win XP? or will activation be disallowed because it thinks I already have used my one installation of XP?
December 6th 07 04:05 PM
by jukebox Go to last post
1 265
User accounts have disappeared by cruspeed
In my Users folder I had a public folder, and 2 User folders. Now the only folder located in there is the Public folder and no users. The Users folder is still contains 7 gigs of information, the Public folder is only 225 MB in size so I know my other information is in there. I had to re-install windows because my job depends on my computer but all the old files are in a windows.old on my...
December 6th 07 03:31 PM
by cruspeed Go to last post
0 234
Hidden Vista Tricks ! Tools! Tips! Advices! And More ! by Russel Pitt[_2_]
These Hidden Tools ill help you get max performance and to Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista,How Using USB keys to improve Vista performance , What are Best of Vista's New Tools ,Networking, and many more at... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com
December 6th 07 11:25 AM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
1 237
"Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator on load" by Niggle
Hello, The Windows SideBar is not appearing on load of Vista Home Premium The machine is a Sony VAIO laptop. Windows Defender has been disabled, Vista Firewall disabled. AVG Int. Sec suite installed. This has been uninstalled, and the Vista SideBar still does not appear. User Account Control has been disabled, the current user account has administrator rights, a new user account with admin...
December 6th 07 11:07 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
7 495
Vista Home and Virtual PC 2007 - can't uninstall by Simsen[_3_]
Thank you very much for your suggestion! Sadly, the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility does not help. You really, really should post this to the appropriate newsgroup -- this has NOTHING at all to do with Vista's Windows Mail. I sincerely apologize. Please advice if I should post this elsewhere, I was just continuing the thread topic. - Simsen
December 6th 07 08:06 AM
by Simsen[_3_] Go to last post
0 245
Vista - Administrative tools by manuforte
I am running Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba computer I purchased last summer (2007). I am on a schedule for automatic updates from Microsoft. I am logged in as an administrator and would like to add a 6" x 9" paper size to print. However, when I access the print "server properties" the "create a new form" is grayed out and I cannot access this feature. When I went to "Administrative Tools" I...
December 5th 07 11:42 PM
by manuforte Go to last post
2 255
Denied Access by S Murder
I can't even access my own cookies and application data. How do I change this?
December 5th 07 11:09 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 266
Why can't I access my own "My xyz" folders??? by Michael Moser
Preamble: I am long time (and I daresay: somewhat experienced) XP user. I just switched to Vista (got it with a new Laptop) and there are a few things that I simply don't get, yet: In my own "Documents" directory there are a couple of good old friends, namely directories like "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos"... Under vista these are now links (where do these point to???) and - and this...
December 5th 07 10:47 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
5 283
Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ? by Blue Max
In Windows XP we could type CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the 'Welcome' screen and then use the classic login dialog to access the default ADMINISTRATOR account. This feature has apparently been removed from Windows Vista. How to we access the ADMINISTRATOR account, or any other hidden account, from the 'Welcome' screen?
December 5th 07 10:31 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
7 266
User Account Permissions changed... by Jeremy Mitchell
I have searched the group and the web but havent found the specifics to where I can find the answer to my question. Where in Event viewer can I find what account was used to change a users account group? The user was added to the local machine as an administrator. I have searched Event Viewer but cannot find it in the logs. What is the event ID for an account permission change? Thanks...
December 5th 07 09:27 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 240
reset network adapter by frankc
I too get the 6t04 Adapter mark as well as two isatap ! marks. My computer is a single home computer. I am not on a network, except of course if you count the internet? When I first installed Vista these three adapters were not there, any idea as to why they should suddenly appear? I have tried uninstalling but they just come back. --...
December 5th 07 07:29 AM
by frankc Go to last post
0 262
User Account Issues? by Jessi[_2_]
I'm speaking to a customer about User account issues on Vista Home Basic. Aparently, when she added an account for her daughter. That came out fine, but when she logged back into her account all of her information was missing. After speaking to us for a few moments, we rebooted her computer because of a remote access issue. When she rebooted the files where, somehow, returned to her computer....
December 5th 07 04:52 AM
by Jessi[_2_] Go to last post
0 213
Blank text in search results by jsd115
Hi, I had the exact same problem and was just able to fix it. Here's what I did: 1. Run sfc /scannow to repair vista files 2. Run Office detect and repair to fix any issues with office 3. For each .pst file used in Outlook/Windows Mail, run the fixpst.exe utility (Google it for details of how to do so) to correct any errors in the pst files
December 5th 07 04:24 AM
by jsd115 Go to last post
0 237
Changed password by Betty Dykes
I changed my password in WINDOWS VISTA and did not make a reset disk. Is their anyway I can possibly get into my account in order to change the password? I have some pictures I have not loaded on cd yet and really don't want to loose them. I called the GEEK Squad but I can't afford them. Please help. -- B. J. Dykes
December 5th 07 03:16 AM
by GreenieLeBrun Go to last post
4 247
HELP!!!!! by SnowBunni_1983
I am not computer savy, I have no idea what windows is on my computer, I have not used it in almost a year and I have forgotten my password, I appartently didn't think I would forget because the hint says "u know" so if anyone can help me to get back onto my computer I would be forever grateful
December 5th 07 03:11 AM
by GreenieLeBrun Go to last post
2 346
windows password by tiger2007
my son recently passed away and I need to access his computer to delete all his work as my other son is having it as it is only 8 weeks old it is windows vista.I am not that up on computers as my son was in the middle of teaching me so any info will have to be easy to understand any help will be gratefully received.
December 5th 07 03:10 AM
by GreenieLeBrun Go to last post
1 241
Customizing different user accounts. by Soso
Hi, I just got my computer and am trying to set up 3 different profiles. I am running into a few problems. Here they a 1. I want to allow Windows Live Messenger in one of my non-administrator accounts but not in any of the others. I would like to know if I can set up each account to have different programs from the other and how to install programs like Windows Live Messenger in just...
December 5th 07 12:22 AM
by Soso Go to last post
0 237
Hiddens Vista Tricks ! Tools! Tips!, Advices And More ! by Russel Pitt[_2_]
These Hiddens Tools will help you get max performance,How Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista,How Using USB keys to improve Vista performance , What are Best of Vista's New Tools ,Networking, and many more at... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com
December 4th 07 08:55 PM
by Russel Pitt[_2_] Go to last post

From The