Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card by seh318
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? -- seh318 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ seh318's Profile: http://www.techtalkz.com/member.php?userid=11977 View this thread: http://www.techtalkz.com/showthread.php?t=114095
December 2nd 07 01:00 AM
by seh318 Go to last post
0 250
Parental controls on guest account by ALP
Why can't I set up parental controls on the Windows Vista default guest account? I can only create a new account (the third one, since there is an administrator account, default guest account, and this new one), and only on this new account can I set up parental controls, (but not on the default guest account). Why is this?
December 1st 07 11:21 PM
by brink[_2124_] Go to last post
2 308
Hide user but keep enabled for UAC by Mevi
Greetings all, I have an admin account that I would like to hide from the welcome screen. I followed the registry tweak described he http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94805-user-account-hide.html Unfortunately when I did this, it hid the admin account from UAC too - that made it a REAL pain to undo, because regedit wouldn't work, and runas wouldnt launch it either. I had to download...
December 1st 07 07:59 PM
by Mevi Go to last post
2 265
Over-ride Administrative Policy by Harry Motro
I have Windows Vista Premium and am working on a SINGLE machine. When I try to install certain programs (I-tunes 7.1 and Windows Mobile Device Center 6 for Windows Vista), I get an error message: "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". Yet: - I am the system administrator - and there's no option to enter password to give permission.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 1st 07 07:48 PM
by TG Go to last post
13 573
Changed User name, but User folder name didnt get changed? by mbm
I changed my user name in the Control Panel but my User folder is still the old name.... why is this and how can i change it to what my user name is? thanks!
December 1st 07 05:36 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 273
Can I Disable UAC? by Jetsticks
When I try to log on as administrator the computer crashes. I can log on as a guest on another account already set up. I would like to be able to delete the UAC and start fresh but I cannot get into the admin account.
December 1st 07 04:17 PM
by Jetsticks Go to last post
2 282
Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator by Doug Fox
Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows Vista Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the Symantec Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained that I did not have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact a system administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as administrator. Any pointers/advice to resolve this incident...
December 1st 07 09:17 AM
by Axel Göller[_2_] Go to last post
4 282
Standard User Password not saved by NEONKNIGHT
Hello I've recently upgraded from XP home to Vista Premium. I've set up an administrator account and four separate user accounts. The problem I have had is that one of the user accounts did not ask for a password when logging in although a password had been set and applied to this account. Slightly worried now that this might happen with the Administrator account for obvious reasons! Any...
December 1st 07 08:33 AM
by NEONKNIGHT Go to last post
0 250
vista and xp dual boot by bali50
I had a problem with my XP/Vista dual boot too. Mine was re. a parition on a SATA drive. But I don't think that's all that relevant. What's actually important is that what eventually worked for me was a solution that was VERY hard to find on the net, and was something that Microsoft could easily have resolved by mentioning it on the same page as their ridiculously vague 'criteria' message. That...
December 1st 07 06:14 AM
by bali50 Go to last post
0 239
Only one user account works by Paul
Last night I was working on my laptop and all the user accounts were working properly. This morning my wife tried to log into her account, and then the kids', and all that came up was a black screen. My login, an admin account, still works fine. I have seen this issue a few times in this forum and have not seen any clear resolutions to the problem.
December 1st 07 03:16 AM
by Paul Go to last post
0 241
Logon screen manipulation by wschlichtman
I have an account created to allow someone to access shared folders on my local RAID drives. This account is only used to allow access over a network. I have set local policy to 'Deny logon local locally' for this account. There is no reason for the account to show on the logon screen and I would like it not to, but I can find no way to disable it. Anyone have any ideas?
December 1st 07 12:35 AM
by wschlichtman Go to last post
3 279
Administration & Accounts by John'Z
I recently installed Vista Home Premium. Often when I try to install a new application or hardware I am told I need administrator approval. I am the only user and therefore would expect to be the administrator. (I suspect I may not have answered some question correctly during the installation of Vista). My question is how or what do I have to do to overcome this requirement for...
November 30th 07 04:16 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 221
Vista ! Hiddens Tips, Tricks, Tools, Advices and More ! by Russel Pitt[_2_]
These Hidden tools will help you get maximum performance, How Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista, What's Inside Vista ! Using USB keys to improve Vista performance , Networking Vista, Best of Vista's New Tools, and more at ... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com/
November 30th 07 04:07 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 260
Allowing access to the Internet for another user by Desirée
Help me, please. I have searched too many places and am coming up empty-handed! I bought a new computer to replace my "vintage" Windows 98 model. Got on-line with no problem. In my glee to get going I selected myself to be the only one to log on to the Internet... as I hadn't quite thought through allowing anytime Internet access to my 13 year old. I am the "Administrator", he is a "User"....
November 30th 07 12:29 AM
by vacca159 Go to last post
1 243
Administrative rights by wildflowerz
im trying to install a font managment program and im getting the message that the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.. i went to the help section.. it suggested i right click on the program and give it administrative rights.. when i right click on it.. i dont have an option to do that..
November 30th 07 12:19 AM
by vacca159 Go to last post
4 253
AppData folder has been lost by Grant
I have been using my Vista Ultimate for a few weeks and I have logged in today only to find all my application settings have gone. In trying to figure out what has happened I have looked into the AppData folder and found that everything in there has a new modification date and all settings for all my applications have been lost! Skype account, browser settings, everything. Infuriating...
November 29th 07 10:52 PM
by Grant Go to last post
0 284
windows xp and administrator options - restrictions- no control pa by allison ruley
please help!!!!! i have windows xp and for some reason, i cannot seem to find or even access my control panel. i have searched everywhere for help! can someone please help me - i need to remove/add programs, and change user accounts. please email me at or with your help or suggestions. thanks
November 29th 07 07:34 PM
by Mike Douglas Go to last post
1 284
Creating Accounts by Benny
I have just purchased a new laptop. I have scrubbed all the crapware off of the machine and am ready to connect to my network. I have two desktops (one running Vista Ultimate and one running XP) that have accounts already set-up the way we need them. I would like to set the new laptop up (from an account standpoint) just like the Vista Ultimate desktop. I don't want to transfer files or...
November 29th 07 05:49 PM
by Benny Go to last post
0 271
BIOS SETUP PASSWORD by John
I have recently tried to access the bios setup by pressing delete at startup and I am being asked for a password which I have not put one on. is there any way that I can bypass this to change the boot sequence.
November 29th 07 01:55 PM
by Mike Douglas Go to last post
2 263
Failed to logon with domain user to Vista after copy local profile by Sabawee
I have laptop ThinkPad x61 with Operating System Vista Business i was working localy with local user have administrator priviledge, then i changed my laptop to domain and log on with my new user domain, the system created new profile for my domain user, then i entered with domain administrator account and copy my old local profile to my new domain profile from control panel |system | advanced...
November 29th 07 12:13 PM
by Sabawee Go to last post

From The