Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive by KButzke
I purchased the upgrade to Vista Ultimate on my old hard drive, which is currently the slave in my new computer, and I want to upgrade to Ultimate on my new hard drive. Every time I try to update I am prompted to purchase the upgrade again. Is it possible to, without paying, to upgrade to Ulitmate on two different hard drives if you have already purchased the update once before?
July 4th 07 08:42 PM
by KButzke Go to last post
4 317
Changing the Owner Of PC by Lori
When I bought my Pc the store set it up for me. They use the one name but I want it in another name. I have changed some thing but don’t know how to change all the name places in Vista.
July 4th 07 03:32 PM
by Mimi Go to last post
8 269
Bug in account name? by crapit
The factory default account name for my notebook for vista business edition is lenovo. I change it to jenovo. but when I select user profile. it show jenovo\lenovo. It this a bug?? At the system properties, under computer name tab, from network ID, I change to "this is a home computer, not part of a business network". Upon restart, it default back to "computer is part of a business...
July 4th 07 02:50 PM
by Andy Mc Go to last post
2 254
How do I exit Windows? by Reece
I have an old game that only runs if I exit windows. How can I exit Windows from a Vista system? Thanks. Reece
July 3rd 07 05:44 PM
by Nitish Go to last post
5 261
Keeps asking for administrators password? by ***** charles
Hi all, My new Dell all of a sudden started asking for my administrator account password periodically. I am using Vista Home Premium. I don't know what I did to trigger this activity since it didn't do it just after I got it several weeks ago. Any ideas?
July 3rd 07 05:28 PM
by Gistcheckin Go to last post
3 306
Vista keeps deleting entire user folder by Rob
I'm running Vista business (x86) on 2 machines at work. We're running SBS 2003 (non-R2). On both machines everything in the main user's folder is occasionally getting erased. (My) Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads, Favorites, Desktop, etc are all gone. It's like Vista deletes the entire user folder, then re-creates a new one - links to sample pictures and sample music are the only thing...
July 3rd 07 04:55 PM
by Rob Go to last post
3 245
Start menu short cuts gone missing by Giavid
I don't know what i did but just about every shortcut in my start menu has disappeared. I know the files / applicantions are still on my computer. I was able to find them in the program file but the shortcut links are missing. Is there a way to have the start menu recongize these files again and have them added back to this menu?
July 3rd 07 04:50 PM
by Giavid Go to last post
0 249
Passwords aren't saved by Jean DENOEL
Hi, Under Vista, none of my passwords (except my user account password) are kept from one session to the next. Even with Outlook, I have to retype my passwords every time to access my accounts (even though I marked the box to keep my passwords). Is there a place somewhere in Vista where I should notify to keep all these passwords? Thank you
July 3rd 07 04:20 PM
by Jean DENOEL Go to last post
4 248
product key help i cant activate my key by Robert
hi i just bought windows vista for my pc and im having a hard time activating my key for vista i have 28 days to activate it and i dont know what to do, i was typing my key in the windows activation menu and im getting this error saying this The Following failure occurred while trying to use the poduct key Code 0xC004F061 then it says
July 3rd 07 01:00 PM
by Michael Price Go to last post
1 236
How do I Schedule a Task on Disk Mount by Julian
I want to automatically set up a share (to support the UNC indexing addin) when a disk is mounted; I could do this using the task scheduler if I knew how to trigger it. Anyone know? Thanks Julian
July 3rd 07 07:10 AM
by Julian Go to last post
0 242
product key help i cant activate my key by Robert
hi i just bought windows vista for my pc and im having a hard time activating my key for vista i have 28 days to activate it and i dont know what to do, i was typing my key in the windows activation menu and im getting this error saying this The Following failure occurred while trying to use the poduct key Code 0xC004F061 then it says
July 3rd 07 05:26 AM
by Robert Go to last post
0 226
Administrator and can't install programs by carm
The Vista home a premium on my kid's computer, Dell system. I can't install any programs. It tells me i need administrator rights. I logged in as administrator "Matt" and it says it can't install anything -- Even though it says I have administrator rights. What the heck!? I am extremely frustrated. There is no "Administrator" account anywhere. please help. This is so stinking...
July 3rd 07 01:38 AM
by Krishna Kumar L Go to last post
1 221
Boot into Standard user account by brink
Hello, This may be simple question, but how do you get Vista to boot into the Standard user account instead of the default Administrator account. I tried logging off the Administrator account and switching to the Standard account and shutting down the computer. When Vista starts up, it starts in the Administrator account again. I'm sure that I am missing something simple. Can someone point me...
July 2nd 07 09:52 PM
by brink Go to last post
4 258
Backing up data to a Network by Keowee Kid
I have tried to back up some files to a MSHOME network. The files I want to back up are on a PC running Vista Home Premium. I can see the folders I want to back up to on my other PC, which is running Windows XP, but when I try to do the backup, I get the following error message: No mapping between account names and security ID's was done (0x80070534). How do I do this mapping? Any help...
July 2nd 07 04:10 PM
by Tim Go to last post
1 229
changing user folder names by lost in vista
As is semper fi's problem, i got this laptop new but secondhand. I changed the account name but the folder name can't be changed. I created another admin account but I need to transfer my settings from the old account to the new (i.e. microsoft money bank info, verizon wireless card settings). Any suggestions? Many thanks. J.T.
July 2nd 07 01:56 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 228
Accounts muddle by alandyk
My brand new Acer Aspire laptop with Vista Home Premium O/S only ever shows a guest account. When I try to add a new user acct. or view all accounts it says 'windows needs permission. Type in admin password.' I can't find the admin password anywhere and all attempts at even trying to make a password disk still ask for an admin password. I'm stuck in this loop . Please can anyone tell me how...
July 1st 07 10:02 PM
by alandyk Go to last post
2 276
how do i change the password expiration policy on Vista home premi by Lewis
Does anyone know if it is possilble to set the password to never expire on Vista Home premium? I have an logon for both my wife and myself. My wife's password expired (didn't give her the option of changing it).
July 1st 07 07:50 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 218
wireless networking security by Radal
Can anyone tell me where to find the Mac No of my laptop so that access can be restricted to our router?
July 1st 07 10:10 AM
by raffaeleturris Go to last post
2 233
Help with Administator priveledges by Nache
My brother just bought a gateway computer with Windows Vista Home Premium installed (I'm so proud of him.) I ran into some problems when I was trying to install the printer (An HP printer). I ran into two problems. 1. Vista was not one of the operating systems supported by the installation disc, which Vista easily fixed 2. The program couldn't be installed using "Run As Administrator",...
July 1st 07 04:14 AM
by Nellyp Go to last post
6 265
Is there a way to remember a trusted program ... by Rej
Is there a way to have UAC remember a program I trust so that it won't popup the UAC consent window everytime I start it? I'm trying to load on startup 'Process Explorer' but I can since it requires permission. If the procedure to have a program load on startup is different than not having the UAC window popup, I'd like to know for the popup as well since there are other software that I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 1st 07 12:42 AM
by Rej Go to last post

From The