Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
"Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group? by Barkingdog
I have Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) installed on my box and I'm a member of the local Administrator's group. Do I still need need to use "right-click, ... run as admin, etc...." to install software? What would happen if I used my normal "Admin" permissions to do the install? TIA, Barkingdog
June 10th 07 11:59 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 264
File sharing "any folder" on Vista by Vtnt007
Hello, I am trying to share folders on Windows Vista (Home premium). I am following the instructions in "Windows help and support" titled "Share files from any folder on your computer". When I "Click the arrow to the right of the text box, click the person's name in the list, and then click Add." The name I selected is not added to the list even though it shows up when I click the down arrow...
June 10th 07 07:07 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 262
setting up an windows email account by Sheen
I am having troubles setting up my windows email account. I signed up for gmail and want to use that account for my windows mail. I'm not sure what to put in the "Incoming mail server" and "Outgoing mail server" boxes. I tried "gmail.com" but that doesn't work. I guess i'm not sure how to set up a windows email account. Please help!
June 10th 07 06:48 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 260
Vista won't remember the layout of me 2 screens by Scheinkultur
Hi, on every startup i have to reenter the layout of my 2 screens. That means my 2nd screen is the left one and the other on the right side. In a very small amount of cases vista rembered it right, but in nearly every case windows just starts from the beginning, what means: my screen that is left, is right and the same with the other. Any ideas?
June 10th 07 03:16 PM
by Scheinkultur Go to last post
0 246
Administrator only to download on C drive by emily
Hi, I'm an editor who uses macros to assist in editing. I have to download the templates/macros directly to my C Drive. I just got this computer(Gateway laptop), and when I tried to download the macro directly to m C Drive, I get the notice that I have to contact the administrator because I don't have permission. However, my account IS administrator, so I see no reason why I am unable to...
June 9th 07 06:28 PM
by emily Go to last post
3 289
Account locked upon resume by mncharnigo
Account is always locked when I resume. How do I get around this? Just one more step (to unlock at resume screen) that I do not need. Many thanks for answers and input. -- MN Charnigo
June 9th 07 02:08 PM
by mncharnigo Go to last post
2 233
Unable to load new software by sarah!
Hey, Im trying to download software from the internet but when I try to run the installer I get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I have disabled the UAC and all the permissions boxes are ticked allow. I changed the compatability to windows XP and tried 'run as administrator' but NOTHING...
June 9th 07 04:52 AM
by Sarah Go to last post
2 294
zzzzzz by John
2x now i get e-mail saying there is an answer and click link to read it am i so stupid and blind that i can not find either the q or the answer this place is impossible . how do you find anything. why dont it list in date order or better still e-mail me the responces directly to save me going completely bloody mad somebody please tell me where i find the question i posted along with the...
June 9th 07 03:43 AM
by brink Go to last post
1 323
run as administrator media player by Rick Phiz
After having had no problems for the first two days of a new machine with vista, I now find that I cannot run media player unless I right-click and run as administrator. This means that it will not auto run (although it asks me what I would like to do with a disc) when I insert a disc. I am, of course, logged in as an administrator and I am not having this problem with any other program.
June 9th 07 02:45 AM
by KenP Go to last post
1 195
Adding Network Printer by Sam
One of my users is having trouble adding a printer. Whenever they choose wireless, network or bluetooth printer, Windows Explorer crashes, restarts, and the add printer dialog box disappears. The exact message sequence is: "Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." That box disappears and I get "Windows Explorer is restarting."
June 9th 07 02:20 AM
by Sam Go to last post
1 217
can't open outlook2003 by New vista user
after I upgrade Vista premium from Win XP, I could not connect internet (I am using cable modem, also I could not open MS-outlook 2003 with the message "you do not have permission...". However, I am a adminstrative account. I tried to boot repar program (by pressing F10), but I don't know the password ( I tried to enter my log in password, and it was failed). Please let me know how the...
June 8th 07 07:12 PM
by New vista user Go to last post
0 234
Cannot Access the Hard-Drive by Immortal Knight
I have just upgraded from windwos xp profesiional to windwos vista ultimate, but a problem is I cannot see my files in my "E" drive. It says that it "connot access the drive". I am using a samsung 250GB sata drive. When I turn us off user accounts control the hard disk is accesible but the files in it in not. And the disk usage bar under the hd is red. (I don't know if it has anything to do...
June 8th 07 05:09 PM
by Immortal Knight Go to last post
0 226
Folder Shortcuts denied by Greg
Setup: laptop with Vista, mini-tower with XP. Tower connected to internet. Laptop networked to desk machine with crossover cable. Problem. For no apparent reason, suddenly on the Vista machine I get not available, access denied messages when trying to use the system generated shorcuts in the folders, even though I only had one non-password protected user who is the administrator. I can access...
June 8th 07 10:56 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
7 248
Administrator account disabled....but it gets better and better st by sthibodeau
Hello, First of all, thank you to all the community members that make this a viable source for not only venting but finding solutions. First, this message is essentially a duplicate of one posted yesterday. I received an email notification that there was a reply to my post, however I spent way too much time looking for it. Anyway here's the issue. I have upgraded from XP to home premium, the...
June 8th 07 03:59 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 255
Getting access to HD by Cory B
I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop. I need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW, but how do I "Log-on" to his HD??
June 8th 07 01:10 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 232
question by John
i posted a question on 6/6/2007 i received an e-mail telling me there was a responce, i clicked the link to read the responce and found nothing not even the question i posted, so where is it? , and i suppose the same thing will happen to this one so why am i bothering?
June 7th 07 10:05 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 201
Accessing files - ownership doesn't help by RuthB
Hi, Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old computer, and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message, so I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin) account is the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 7th 07 09:33 PM
by RuthB Go to last post
10 372
Lost my post by Walt
I posted a question concerning an Nvidia 7600 video driver question in teh Windows Update discussion group. I received an email that a response was available, but when I click the link, I can't locate my post or the response. Any way to help me? A Microsoft Community member has responded to your question entitled "NVIDIA 7600 Video driver update" . Please read the response and indicate...
June 7th 07 09:28 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 237
User profiles not loading properly by Twisted-
I'm having this problem where windows can't find the documents/desktop/favorites/... folders of the user. It'll give the following error when starting up: "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable." The user has admin rights. I tried creating both another admin account (which immediately has the same
June 7th 07 09:02 PM
by Twisted- Go to last post
0 217
Disable windows calendar and windows mail by jcraig33
How can I disable windows calendar and windows mail with Vista Business? Is this done strictly through group policy?
June 7th 07 02:58 PM
by jcraig33 Go to last post

From The