Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't log in by Ryan S.
Hi, I can't log into Vista RC1. I just installed it and it says my password is incorrect. But I am using my password that I was using on XP Pro. Any advice? Thanks!
October 24th 06 06:46 PM
by Robbin Go to last post
2 615
Safe mode I cant get in. by inafix
RC1 5600 Upgrade from XP Somebody please help me. I am not an IT Professional but I done this stuff before with no problems. Vista was working perfectly. Then I had a network problem that I tried to fix with a reboot. I have been locked out since that. In regular startup it gets to the green progress bar goes a few times then stops for good. This is the scenario. I try any version of safe...
October 24th 06 05:15 PM
by inafix Go to last post
0 490
Large profiles show size as ? by Nick Payne
I'm running Vista 32-bit RC2. If I go to properties of Computer, Advanced system settings, Advanced tab, click on the settings button for user profiles, of the three profiles there, the two that are over 20Gb in size, which includes the profile for the logged in user, just show a question mark for the size field. The third user profile shows the correct size of 17.5Mb. I got the sizes by...
October 24th 06 08:47 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
0 521
Map Network drive fails user & password by sparks
Jimmy, you are a jenouse. Thanks "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, Please try the following steps ... this will change the way Windows Vista authenticates with other computers to the same setting that Windows XP uses. *** These steps change default security settings of Windows Vista.
October 20th 06 04:04 PM
by sparks Go to last post
0 579
Denied set on users\folder? by Brad
I have a PC where it appears a user has set DENY for administrators. I cannot access or take ownership of this user's folder. anyway around this in vista? Brad
October 20th 06 03:29 PM
by Brad Go to last post
7 557
Edit Profile button above doesn´t work by crisrich
The Edit Profile button in the Vista Beta Help and Support site has a bad link. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then...
October 19th 06 07:31 PM
by crisrich Go to last post
0 505
Anmelde Probleme by Basti
Ich habe mich selber ausgesperrt. Ich habe eine statische ip vergen in einem netzwerk und die domäne geändert. Nun wollte ich mich an der neuen domäne anmelden aber da der pc eine statische ip bekommen hat kommt er nicht mehr ins netzwerk. Den lokalen account bekomme ich auch nicht in gang. Ich weiss nicht mehr wleches passwort ich für ihn vergeben habe. Ich kann mich nun auch nicht lokal...
October 19th 06 10:32 AM
by Basti Go to last post
0 500
Server tools by Greg Zygadlo
Is there going to be a version of the server tools released for Vista? The ones from Windows Server 2003 Sp1 don't work.
October 19th 06 02:38 AM
by Greg Zygadlo Go to last post
0 524
Logon by Jase
How do you change the Logon to the CTRL ALT Delete way? like in XP
October 18th 06 04:18 PM
by Jase Go to last post
3 596
product key by chrissieboy
hi, just a quick one to anyone who thinks that just because you can dl vista you should... i have read all the post on all the forums , and can only wonder if people are reading the small print before trying to install. the reason i mention this is because my install will not work correctly, i can not register and activate it, wmp11 will not work and i have had to try to get my apps...
October 18th 06 07:08 AM
by Cyberwolf Go to last post
4 521
user accounts by sport4x4
I hope this vista system works better than xp home, when it comes to user accounts. windows 98 had a better user account system than xp and I hope vista is better than windows 98 now. Here's why -Everytime I download something to my user, it would create icons to all the other users created on my computer also...windows 98 never did this! And, when I tried to delete the icons from the other...
October 17th 06 10:26 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 444
Administrator account lacks a password by BrandonW
Hello, While I was experimenting and exploring Vista, I was trying to enable the Administrator account. I was in the System Management tool, and I disabled my current account with Administrator priveleges, and then enabled the real Administrator account. Following that, I tried to log in to the enabled Administrator account. I didn't set any password for it when installing Vista, but it...
October 17th 06 10:21 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 418
Admin rights problem by DragonsXPS
I have two accounts currently on my computer who are being treated like they are standard accounts with a bunch of additional restrictions, here are two of the restrictions that popped up mysteriously: 1)can't change settings 2)can't Download anything if anyone knows how to fix this problem please reply to this message.
October 17th 06 10:17 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 469
Cannot access files created with XP by Keith
As I have already here and in other groups, I cannot access any of the files that were on my (3) 300gb hardrives with Windows XP. I have taken ownership of the frives and the files and folders contained in them, to no avail. Windows Media can access the mp3, photo and video files, and Windows Screensaver can access my photo folder, but when I open any folder on any of these drives it says...
October 17th 06 01:49 AM
by Marcus Go to last post
1 471
I installed MS Vista and didn't install a password by Dan L
I installed MS Vista and Walked out of the room and the install finished I came back and then it was asking for a password and a Username I didn't install one is there a temp one that you use then chsnge it , can some one help I have never ran into this. thanks -- Danny L
October 16th 06 06:04 PM
by Matthew Jennings Go to last post
3 498
Finding my network key by liam r
Hi - I've been trying to add a new computer to my secure wireless network at home, but I can't for the life of me remember what the network key is, so haven't been able to enter it on the new computer. What can I do to find my network key?? I've tried to get around this by creating a "new network" using my existing connection, and entering a new network key for this connection, but this...
October 16th 06 05:48 PM
by Emdriven Go to last post
2 523
Activation suggestion and question by Spirefm
I suugest that activation should be automatically unnecessary for programs more than 3 years old. My MS Office was bought about 5 years ago. I must have re-activated it 100 times by now. I'm bored of doing it. My question is regarding activation over the phone. I'm trying to activate Microsoft Office after installing it in Vista. The MS phone system says "Press 1 to activate" but when I...
October 15th 06 06:00 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
0 455
Denied Permission to windows.old files! PLEASE HELP! by lionel
When I try to access my documents in windows.old (to copy to Vista my documents) I get the message: "You have been denied premission to access this folder" so I click the security tab and get "The requested information is either unavaiable or cannot be displayed" I am using the administrator account!
October 14th 06 07:20 PM
by Altimax98 Go to last post
2 499
set up a administrator account by bryland
i need to set up an admin. account in the safe mode i think to keep my son from being able to ad or remove programs i have xp pack 2
October 12th 06 08:01 PM
by Dave B. Go to last post
1 503
Raped by Vista by DT
I upgraded my Windows XP Pro workstatoin to Vista. I ws never prompted to add a user or change a password. When Vista started for the first time I was prompted to logon as the original admin user I had created when I first installed XP. This user had no password. Apparently, Vista does not allow a blank password and therefore will not allow me access to my own PC. Of course the local...
October 12th 06 12:01 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post

From The