Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How to finish downloading RC1 - try 2 by Bzee
I had to switch routers because mine kept dropping out while download it. Both attemps finished the 4GB download but the download manager (the one from Akamai) said the MD5's did not match. Now that I restarted my computer after changing routers, I can't restart the download and then I go back to the RC1 site, it says I already have all the authorized product keys - maybe so - but I don't...
October 5th 06 12:38 AM
by Lizard7151971 Go to last post
1 516
Unable to login to my profile by Michael Griffin-Wade
Ok I have found the problem and it dates back to Win XP. The OS has locked the account. It can be fixed by editing a key in the registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Under here you will find some long numbers these are known as the Users SID, if there are a lot of people logged onto the machine there will be a long list in here.(Hopefully not)....
October 4th 06 11:53 PM
by Michael Griffin-Wade Go to last post
0 467
Unable to login to my profile by Michael Griffin-Wade
Ok I have found the problem and it dates back to Win XP. The OS has locked the account. It can be fixed by editing a key in the registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Under here you will find some long numbers these are known as the Users SID, if there are a lot of people logged onto the machine there will be a long list in here.(Hopefully not)....
October 4th 06 11:52 PM
by Michael Griffin-Wade Go to last post
0 506
Domain accounts by Michael Griffin-Wade
I can't set up a domain account with VIsta 5728. I have tried wired and wireless. I have removed my pc from the domain and readded it and purged off old accounts from the pc and tried to add them back again. I know that I'm not the only one having this issue. Has anyone come out with a work around?
October 4th 06 11:50 PM
by Michael Griffin-Wade Go to last post
1 526
setting up a administrator account in start up by bryland
i need to set this up to keep my son from being able to ad and removing programs i have xp home pack two
October 4th 06 11:04 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
1 487
User Accounts by Tom Sabotta
Hey guys, I am having one MAJOR problem. Any account I log-in to it tells me is NOT the Adminstrator account. Yet, when I go to my User Accounts, all 3 user desktops are "Administrators". I can't do anything really. I want to update to the next Vista C1, but I already know it won't let me with this problem. I can't even reformat my computer, do a system restore, even install new...
October 4th 06 04:30 PM
by Tom Sabotta Go to last post
0 576
permission by Richard
Hello I am running Windows Vista RC1 Evaluation copy. Build 5600 I am trying to install the Sony Ericsson PC Suite Software and I get so far and the installation stop and I get a dialog box telling me i do not have sufficient privileges and I should log in as an administrator. I have doe this and I still cannot install the software, I have noticed that for the program files folder and the...
October 4th 06 03:17 PM
by Richard Go to last post
0 490
"Administrator" Madness: How Do I Convince Vista? by tomorrows_man
I'm about to install RC1, but before I do I need to know what went wrong between 5384 and 5742. I installed 5384 and, buggy as it was, I never had administrator/access problems. Fast forward 10 weeks, I fresh install 5742, and suddenly I can't download a %^@! mp3 file from a pay service without getting a 'You do not have the right to save a fiel to that folder. Save to a temp folder...
October 4th 06 02:34 PM
by SmokeDaddy Go to last post
3 575
Run as by pbrel
Hi all, I try to do a "run as" with a specific account(my domain administrator account), I need to do it often to open specifics applications(like AD, SQL ....). But I just see "run as administrator", is it possible to change to "run as" and choose a specific account ? Thanks, Pascal
October 4th 06 12:29 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
4 654
Run as by pbrel
Hi all, I try to do a "run as" with a specific account(my domain administrator account), I need to do it often to open specifics applications(like AD, SQL ....). But I just see "run as administrator", is it possible to change to "run as" and choose a specific account ? Thanks, Pascal
October 4th 06 10:20 AM
by pbrel Go to last post
0 622
Cannot setup an Domain account by Michael Griffin-Wade
I'm using Build 5728 and I can't get Vista to set up a domain user account on my tablet PC. I have tried loggin in wired and wireless. Removed my tablet from the domain and readded it back. I have even blown out the old acounts and tried to re-add them. I have seen on these boards that this is noy uncommon, but I have seen no answers as to any resolutions. Is this a known issue for...
October 3rd 06 04:45 PM
by Michael Griffin-Wade Go to last post
0 489
Missing feature from parental controls by Byron Followell
Well, I needed to reformat my computer since it had been acting up for a while and I hadn't done it in almost a year. It's really nice to have a nice, clean system, for as long as it lasts of course. While I was at it, I went ahead and setup a dual boot with Windows Vista RC1. I wanted to play around with it a little and learn my way around before I purchase in the spring and I have to say...
October 2nd 06 05:25 PM
by Spot Go to last post
1 474
how to prevent permission dialog box for particular program? by Ado Neilson
Every time I run Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 in Vista RC1, I get a dialog asking whether I know and trust the program. Is there a way of telling Vista that I trurt this program always, so that it will run this particular program henceforth without the dialog box? Note - I don't want to turn off this security check for all new software.
October 2nd 06 01:08 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 418
Delete Old.windows by msc
Had a hard time installing Vista 5600 ended up with old windows folders. Now I can't delete them. Tryed security permissions changes. Took ownership etc. now returns "you need permission from "ME" to delete this file" Well I am "ME" so how can I give myself permission ?? I have tryed every security setting - auiting/permissions/inherit etc. An Help ??
October 2nd 06 01:08 AM
by msc Go to last post
2 473
Help on Windows Cardspace by Ignace
I was checking out Windows Cardspace. I read the Help, but it doesn't say anywhere how to use it! I want to use a card to fill in some fields on a website. How do I do that? I can't find it. Is this only possible with Internet Explorer? Does the website has to be specially designed to use this?
October 1st 06 10:36 PM
by Ignace Go to last post
0 465
What New Hell Is This?!? by tomorrows_man
Just installed RC1. I'm the only user on the entire system. Clean install. I tried to import the Outlook pst file from the last (beta) release, oh, you know, as instructed when backing up the pst file. I get the error that I apparently don't have access to this file. What new pseudo-Nazi Republican B.S. is this? I'm sorry, I'm at my wit's end -- each subsequent release of this OS...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 30th 06 06:50 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
17 826
scheduled tasks by Cheryl
I want to know how to get my disc cleanup to start automatically. I have used "schedule a task" to have disc cleanup start when I am away from the computer. All that happens is that disc cleanup opens up when secheduled. But then it waits for me to hit the ok start button before it begins. Is there a way I can program it to open and start automatically? -- CA
September 30th 06 06:40 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 529
Automatically starting Vista into an account? by Lightfoote
Dear Jimmy, Well, it looks like the control userpasswords2 method of bypassing the user account screen has been completely disabled in Release Candidate 2. Even when the checkbox is cleared, the user screen still intervenes before startup. Microsoft strikes back, again. "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
September 30th 06 10:14 AM
by James Leavers Go to last post
3 594
adminpak.msi for Vista? by
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?
September 30th 06 02:28 AM
by Rock Go to last post
5 473
Deleting protected files by Legomania100
I made a file on my desktop and now when I try to delete is, I recieve the followin error message: CANNOT DELETE (FILENAME): IT IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM. CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE AND TRY AGAIN. I have no other programs running and am in the user profile that created this file. What's Going On???
September 29th 06 09:47 PM
by Go to last post

From The