Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Pre-RC1 TimeBomb? by Paul
Hey guys, I have a legit key from Microsoft, and activated, and have it installed. Does it ever expire? I don't think it does.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 29th 06 12:18 PM
by Peter Go to last post
19 808
I am trying to create a Domain Controller by AceII
I have been assigned by my Professor in a University I am attending to use Vista to create an Active Directory just like Windows 2003. This is only because I am a tester of and have a beta copy of Vista instead of a copy of Windows 2003 server. My question is there a program like dcpromo.exe in Vista? If so do you have instructions how to create an active directory using Vista? I am...
September 28th 06 03:14 PM
by Jody Lockridge Go to last post
1 564
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by otiasj
Hello, thank you for taking the time to explain UAC, Q: UAC is Microsoft's way of controlling my computer and preventing me from using it! A: This is 100% UNTRUE. UAC puts control of your computer IN YOUR HANDS by allowing you to prevent unwanted programs from accessing your computer. *Everything* that you can do with UAC turned off, you can do with it turned on. If this is...
September 28th 06 04:08 AM
by otiasj Go to last post
0 489
Where is "Run as..." in Vista? by Robert E
What about the Start, Run command. That is one of the first things I noticed was "missing" when I installed Vista build 5600. "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I'm not sure if run as will be making an appearance later, I couldn't find any information about it.
September 27th 06 12:32 PM
by JMan Go to last post
3 520
unexplained user account by browneyedgirl
We were having trouble with our comp being slow, so I decided to try the guest account to see if it was problems with the desk top. When I went to user accounts to turn guest account on, I found a user account not set up by us and that does not show up on welcome screen. It is ASP.NET Machine A..., Limited Account, and password protected. If I try to change password, delete, rename, etc. ...
September 26th 06 10:15 PM
by browneyedgirl Go to last post
8 614
Domain User Profile folder name by Brian P Fielding
I hope this is the correct NG - if not can you please direct me to a more appropriate NG . . Thanks For this test I was using Vista RC1 build 5728 and SBS 2003 SP1 (This issue occurs for both Vista x86 and x64) - it also applied to the beta2 build of Vista. I setup a Vista User to our SBS 2003 Domain using the connectcomputer wizard. It all went well but . . .
September 26th 06 09:22 PM
by Brian P Fielding Go to last post
0 540
Profiles by Flak
One of the problems i see often is a family computer with a profile for each person in the house. The kids downloading crap like zango and the likes infecting the system etc. What i think would be a good idea in eliminating cross profile infection is : When someone i.e. kids install a program it is only allowed to load when their profile is logged in to. When Dad for example comes home...
September 26th 06 04:16 PM
by Flak Go to last post
0 553
I want to go back to windows xp- but dont know admin password by Jas
What is happening with me is when i get the dos mode from where i can pick windows version and i click "old version of windows" i get another mode where i pick 1 which is my old version option. then it asks me for admin password? and i dont know what that is? can ne one help in figuring it out. please
September 26th 06 12:08 AM
by Techno-Crat Go to last post
1 490
How to finish downloading RC1 - try 3 by Bzee
How to finish downloading RC1 - try 3 I had to switch routers because mine kept dropping out while download it. Both attemps finished the 4GB download but the download manager (the one from Akamai) said the MD5's did not match. Now that I restarted my computer after changing routers, I can't restart the download and then I go back to the RC1 site, it says I already have all the authorized...
September 25th 06 11:04 PM
by Times2 Innovations Go to last post
1 525
RC1 DVD by darrylpan
I am part of the CPP. I paid to have the DVD sent to me. As of this date I have not received an email with download instructions or a DVD of the release candidate.Can anyone tell me whats going on?
September 25th 06 07:04 PM
by Donald McDaniel Go to last post
2 578
turning off UAC by Mark
When I go to User Accounts I don't have the "Change Security Settings" option. I have all Admin. rights, so is there a setting I need to sctivate in order to see this option? Please respond to me at " and thanks very much. Mark Jappert To turn UAC off: Click Start
September 25th 06 06:53 PM
by Donald McDaniel Go to last post
1 514
Still have not received an e-mail for RC1 by DavidM
Hi, When I received the e-mail detailing how to download and install beta2, it also mentioned I would be able to get RC1 when it became available. I still have not received the an RC1 invite. Is there anyone I can contact to see about getting RC1? Thanks, Dave
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 25th 06 06:42 PM
by Donald McDaniel Go to last post
13 812
Activity report by ThymeJ
How do you clear and or delete the activity report so that you can start fresh? I have already reviewed my kids activity and dont need yeaterdays info. Jerry
September 25th 06 06:11 PM
by Jason Go to last post
4 579
the Welcome Screen says "7 unread mail messages" how do u delete t by Hugh Jass
Uh, why not just read your mail??? "BurrWalnut" wrote in message ... This works in WinXP :- Start, Run and type regedit, then navigate to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\ In the right pane right-click MessageCount, click Modify and change...
September 25th 06 09:08 AM
by Hugh Jass Go to last post
0 455
how to prevent permission dialog box for particular program? by Ado Neilson
Every time I run Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 in Vista RC1, I get a dialog asking whether I know and trust the program. Is there a way of telling Vista that I trurt this program always, so that it will run this particular program henceforth without the dialog box? Note - I don't want to turn off this security check for all new software.
September 24th 06 06:40 PM
by ChadC Go to last post
2 489
How to finish downloading RC1 by Bzee
I had to switch routers because mine kept dropping out while download it. Both attemps finished the 4GB download but the download manager (the one from Akamai) said the MD5's did not match. Now that I restarted my computer after changing routers, I can't restart the download and when I go back to the RC1 site, it says I already have all the authorized product keys - maybe so - but I don't...
September 24th 06 04:45 PM
by Bzee Go to last post
0 436
Turning off UAC results in data loss? by fyleow
I got tired of having to click on the Startup Programs icon everytime to enable such basic things as my Anti Virus scanner so I decided to disable UAC. I'm not sure why Vista won't just automatically allow a program to startup even though I've manually asked it to many times but that's a different matter. After disabling UAC I noticed that my programs seemed to have reverted back to an...
September 24th 06 01:32 PM
by BillD Go to last post
1 514
test by happymen
this is a test "chris" ... test
September 24th 06 01:19 PM
by happymen Go to last post
0 603
Vista file security mechanisms by happymen
test "Jimmy Brush" ... Hello, 1) I noticed that there is quite a bit of restrictions in the file system, almost like a *nix file system since you cannot change/delete etc certain files in certain directories (...permissions). This is awesome and only a small example,
September 24th 06 01:17 PM
by happymen Go to last post
0 521
How do you allow interactive services for a program? by JewelsH
The AVG E-mail Scanner service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly. The AVG7 Alert Manager Server service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly. That is the statement in the...
September 24th 06 06:35 AM
by Montreal MCT Go to last post

From The