Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Creating Password by Lostwood
I have two accounts that were pulled over from my existing xp install. They did not have passwords but now i want to add them. Every time I try to add the password the system creates a critical error and reboots 60 seconds later. I have created a new account and added a password and it works fine but the original ones do not. Any Ideas? I am a firm believer in not installing any new OS...
September 17th 06 02:18 AM
by Lostwood Go to last post
0 526
Windows Autologon by alex800
Hi, How do I enable Indows Autologon? I tried "control userpasswords2" command and "Menage your network passwords" but Windows still prompts for the pasword at start up. TIA RC1 5600
September 16th 06 11:59 PM
by alex800 Go to last post
0 501
Turning off UAC by Mark
When I go to User Accounts I don't have the "Change Security Settings" option. I have all Admin. rights, so is there a setting I need to sctivate in order to see this option as listed below. Mark Jappert To turn UAC off: Click Start Click Control Panel Click User Accounts and Family Safety
September 16th 06 08:49 PM
by Rick Hallman Go to last post
6 481
Power Options by one
Hi. I Can't open Power Options. When I opening it, the window opened it over second closed. What can I do? I want to turn off suspend mode over some time.
September 16th 06 06:49 PM
by one Go to last post
0 479
Changing the way users log on and off by Jarzka
That didn't help anymore. We still have welcome-screen on start-up :S
September 16th 06 06:26 PM
by Jarzka Go to last post
0 457
Changing the way users log on and off by Jarzka
That didn't help anymore. We still have welcome-screen on start-up :S
September 16th 06 06:25 PM
by Jarzka Go to last post
0 506
Changing the way users log on and off by Jarzka
That doesn't help anymore! You still have to click your name and enter the password (Welcome-screen). "Jimmy Brush" wrote: At least in beta 2, Windows Vista does not make changing this setting easy. Here's one way to do it: - Click Start
September 16th 06 06:25 PM
by Jarzka Go to last post
0 513
trusted installer by Spirefm
I kept being told I needed a 'TrustedInstaller' when I tried to delete things etc. Suddenly the solution dawned on me. I created a new user with the name TrustedInstaller as an adminstrator. Now I can do all those things that were barred before. C'est la vie! Colin
September 16th 06 02:38 AM
by Spirefm Go to last post
0 483
Administrator Permision by Jake
I recently installed Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 on my computer. I happened to install it on the same hard-drive as my previous version of Windows. This moved my old windows file to a file called windows.old. Because I have a new windows folder I have to re-install all my programs. However when I tried to access an .exe file I got a error message saying (You don't have permision to open...
September 15th 06 05:25 PM
by Dave B. Go to last post
2 541
Folder Redirection fails by A Lake
I'mrunning Vista RC1 Build 5600 in a 2003 Server domain to evaluate. Apart from the omission of active desktop which we used frequently, I've also noticed that Start Menu and Desktop folde redirection policies are failing with Access Denied errors. This policy is the new Vista policy on the domain controller and redirects to a common share that is used by all users (Xp SP2) - but when one...
September 15th 06 01:36 PM
by A Lake Go to last post
0 448
Downloaded the Pre Release version. Now I need to activate by SNFM Jr
I downloaded the Pre Release version and loaded it on my test bed. Now I need to activate, where might I get the information needed to complete this task. I surely would like to finish the 6 month use period. -- SNFM Jr
September 15th 06 01:07 AM
by Robbie Go to last post
2 450
Access Denied by Jake
I recently installed Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 on my computer. I happened to install it on the same hard-drive as my previous version of Windows. This moved my old windows file to a file called windows.old. Because I have a new windows folder I have to re-install all my programs. However when I tried to access an .exe file I got a error message saying (You don't have permision to open...
September 14th 06 10:57 PM
by Jake Go to last post
0 457
Access is Denied by Jake
I recently installed Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 on my computer. I happened to install it on the same hard-drive as my previous version of Windows. This moved my old windows file to a file called windows.old. Because I have a new windows folder I have to re-install all my programs. However when I tried to access an .exe file I got a error message saying (You don't have permision to open...
September 14th 06 10:57 PM
by Jake Go to last post
0 486
Access Denied by Jake
I recently installed Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 on my computer. I happened to install it on the same hard-drive as my previous version of Windows. This moved my old windows file to a file called windows.old. Because I have a new windows folder I have to re-install all my programs. However when I tried to access an .exe file I got a error message saying (You don't have permision to open...
September 14th 06 10:56 PM
by Jake Go to last post
0 465
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by simonstevens
Deary Deary me ! you all sound like hitler youth, blindly following Hier Gates. I fmicrosoft wasn't such an arrogant monopolising arrogant company there would be nobody trying to run programs that will do harm to your computer. Wake up and stop sucking up to microsoft "steve hall" wrote in message ...
September 14th 06 09:02 PM
by Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Go to last post
2 497
people looking for lost activation keys by sulky_uk
i too was in the same perdicament having lost my beta key from the last release, and spent an hour looking through the pages here trying to find a solution. in a bad mood i went back to the rc1 email that i got sent by ms to delete it, just as i was about to, i noticed nestled half way down the email and not highlighted in any way was this sentence "for you convienece we have included you...
September 14th 06 08:58 PM
by Marty Felker Go to last post
2 579
Standard & Admin accounts by Jerry West
When I open "Local Users and Groups" and view the groups I see a list that pretty much matches what is within XP. From what I have read there are only two types of groups for Vista, Standard & Admin. I expected to see a "Standard" group. I also read that the Power Users group, and I assume all other groups outside of Standard & Admin, have been eliminated. Yet, the Power Users groups is...
September 14th 06 08:45 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 458
Activity Report by ThymeJ
How do you clear a Parental Control Activity Report. After reviewing the report, I don’t need the old dated info anymore. I would like to clear/delete the report to start fresh; how does one do this? ThymeJ
September 14th 06 06:38 PM
by ThymeJ Go to last post
0 450
Activity Report by ThymeJ
How do you clear a Parental Control Activity Report. After reviewing the report, I don’t need the old dated info anymore. I would like to clear/delete the report to start fresh; how does one do this? ThymeJ
September 14th 06 06:37 PM
by ThymeJ Go to last post
0 428
Clock in Welcome screen. by Just Bob
"Ian" wrote in message ... Yeah, that whole Vista Clock thing strikes me as a pointless gimmick. Especially when it's not a good clock design anyway, the hour and minute-hands are too similar, making it very easy to misread. The purpose of the clock in the sidebar is to help admins identify novices.
September 14th 06 05:49 AM
by Just Bob Go to last post

From The