Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
admin privaleges by ADAM
So i installed illustrator, and when i go and run it it says, "you are not allowed to continuebecause your account does not have the proper privileges. Please log in using an account with administrator privileges and try again". So i go to user accounts and it says under my account: administrator. So i try it again, and it does the same thing. So i boot it up using safe mode and try logging...
September 14th 06 05:39 AM
by Just Bob Go to last post
2 464
Admin Accounts by [email protected]
Well lets just say that vista is getting annoying in this regard, presently i am testing the x64 version of Vista(RC1), and the account that you make @ installation should be the admin account right? wrong, you can view all the processes in teh task manager, u cant login in Safe Mode, but strangely i could make a new account, an admin account and from that I could do everything, was quite...
September 14th 06 12:26 AM
by Dippy Go to last post
4 532
Profiles by Scott Putney
After Installing Vista RC1 (build 5600), the local account that was created during the setup process creates a local profile on the machine at login, after joining to a domain, any domain account that is used to login creates a roaming profile. I am unable to change to a local profile. I have tried the following scenarios: Give admin rights to the domain account before first login logging...
September 14th 06 12:11 AM
by Dippy Go to last post
1 517
How do I eliminate the welcome screen? by Jo
I seem to have seen an answer to this before, but can't find it now. The first few times I logged on ti=o Vista 5534, I went directly to the desktop, since I am the only user of the computer. However, now it stops at the welcome page and I must click on my user name before it will continue. How can I tell Vista to log on without this screen? Does anyone know why it would begin popping up...
September 13th 06 02:03 PM
by Vbritt Go to last post
6 513
Compilling a DLL in VB6 to Common Files by Amnon Rapoport
This is in Vista Beta 2 August. While trying to compile a COM dll from VB6 to C:\Program Files\Common Files\CompanyName, I got the 'Microsoft Visual Basic caption - Permission denied. This works fine in WinXP. I use that folder exclusively to compile my DLLs and access them using Wise when generating a SetUp.exe Anyone have a suggestion/solution?????
September 13th 06 07:48 AM
by Garry Go to last post
8 452
Server based Userprofile by Joachim
I Use in my domain server based userprofiles. No problem with Windows XP, it works well. But with Vista I've get always a message, that the server based userprofile could not be found. In the eventlog on the Vista-machine I got a message with teh even-ID 1521, access denied. And in the security-event-log on der server 2003 I got a message with the event-ID 675, failed...
September 12th 06 03:33 PM
by Joachim Go to last post
0 466
There is a time and/or date difference between the client and ser by RSchyns
I had this same issue. Turns out it was Kerberos You might want to read this article. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/security/kerberos.mspx I forced Kerberos preauthentication (on the Account tab) and now I can login.
September 12th 06 12:45 PM
by RSchyns Go to last post
0 1,109
Safe Mood - why the old-fashioned F8 business? by Spirefm
Isn't it about time getting into Safe Mode was made easier? Frantically stabbing at the F8 key after selecting a boot option is neither easy nor sensible. At the very least Safe Mode could appear in the list of shutdown options. Getting the timing of the F8 key gets harder withevery increase in speed. I reckon I have about 1/4 of a second to hit it succesfully. ---------------- This post is...
September 12th 06 07:40 AM
by Garry Go to last post
2 522
Vista Activation error: 0x80004002 by Adeling
I had another error message number but I ran slui and phoned through to activate! "ChrisG" wrote: Hello, In Beta 2, when I try to activate, I have this error: Authentification failed with the following error: 0x80004002
September 11th 06 01:14 AM
by Adeling Go to last post
0 485
Vista Activation error: 0x80004002 by Adeling
Mine is similar only with error 0x8004FE93 "ChrisG" wrote: Hello, In Beta 2, when I try to activate, I have this error: Authentification failed with the following error: 0x80004002
September 11th 06 01:06 AM
by Adeling Go to last post
0 3,213
VISTA INITIAL PASSWORD by [MON]Master_Paladin
During vista taking over EXPLORE EMAIL, I lost my password for vista. How do I get it back so I can install the RC1?
September 10th 06 08:43 PM
by [MON]Master_Paladin Go to last post
0 522
Activation problem--but NOT what you think--this is different... by k_fonda
Can someone please help me? I have upgraded from Vista BETA 2 to RC1 without any problems--went smooth as silk and runs great. I have the activation key that was emailed to me for BETA 2 but when I click on the "activate windows now" link on the system properties page NOTHING happens--I don't get error mesages like everyone else--it's just that nothing happens no matter how many times I...
September 10th 06 04:46 PM
by CBaker Go to last post
6 480
Documents and settings by _Mark
How about access to the Documents and Settings/My name/Start menu. I would like to change the Start menu settings but get the access denied prompt.. "Jimmy Brush" wrote in message ... Hello, Many folders used by earlier versions of Windows have been moved to a new location or given a new...
September 10th 06 02:46 PM
by _Mark Go to last post
3 537
New install ... reboot ... nothing by Jon
Hi, I am doing a new install. The install starts up, tells me I need to do a custom installm since there is no way to do an upgrade, I enter key, it installs, reboots, and the message about pressing a key to boot from CD comes up and I wait for the last dot and nothing. It just sits there. The cursor still flashes and the message is still there, but the boot process is not advancing. I was...
September 9th 06 11:31 PM
by Jon Go to last post
3 555
Extending volume by Mike
My C: drive is 7.59GB with 2.15GB free. My disk has 15GB of free space that I would like to use to extend my C: drive. When I use the wizard to try to extend the drive, it tells me there is not enough free space. I've already moved pagefile to another drive and turned off hibernation to get rid of hiberfil.sys. Anyone know why it would tell me there's not enough free space? Thanks, Mike
September 9th 06 10:37 PM
by Jo Go to last post
1 490
Yahoo Messenger 8 and Vista RC1 by Chris
I have an issue with Yahoo Messenger 8 and RC1. YM install just fine and works when logged on as administrator. When a Standard User or Power User logs on, Yahoo gets an error and closes. (See Below) As soon as I make that account Administrator it works. Anyone have an idea on what might cause this? Thanks, Chris Log Name: Application Source: Application Error
September 9th 06 02:35 PM
by Chris Go to last post
0 483
admin problems by ADAM
So i installed illustrator, and when i go and run it it says, "you are not allowed to continuebecause your account does not have the proper privileges. Please log in using an account with administrator privileges and try again". So i go to user accounts and it says under my account: administrator. So i try it again, and it does the same thing. So i boot it up using safe mode and try logging...
September 9th 06 02:30 PM
by ADAM Go to last post
0 495
Admin privilages by ADAM
So i installed illustrator, and when i go and run it it says, "you are not allowed to continuebecause your account does not have the proper privileges. Please log in using an account with administrator privileges and try again". So i go to user accounts and it says under my account: administrator. So i try it again, and it does the same thing. So i boot it up using safe mode and try logging...
September 9th 06 02:29 PM
by ADAM Go to last post
0 556
I need to change my %SystemRoot% by ezervoud
I had an initial installation of Vista which for some reason failed down the road. When I reinstalled Vista (Beta) it had kept the original Windows directory only with the name Windows.old while it also created a new Windows directory. Unfortunately, for some reason Vista thinks that Windows.old is the %SystemRoot% directory creating all sorts of problems. I tried through regedit to change it...
September 9th 06 02:09 PM
by ezervoud Go to last post
6 463
Vista Product Keys by Ronald B.
Good Day, I am in a bind as most alot of other people are also...I have misplaced my printed emails with the BETA 2 PK's, and since i had the printouts and was installing Vista, I do not have the emails anymore. I had 2 PK's given to me by Microsoft. Is there an email address or phone I can use to retreive my PK's? I installed without using the PK, and installed it as Vista Ultimate since...
September 9th 06 12:07 AM
by Ronald B. Go to last post

From The