Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
I can't change User Folder name by r3nr3w
I just recently bought a notebook with Vista Home premium. My friend was the one who installed the OS and typed her name. I know I can change the administrator name through the control panel. However, when I try renaming the user folder it tells me that I do not have permission to do it. Please help me how I can change it to my name. Thanks!
August 6th 08 10:43 PM
by oscar Go to last post
3 267
Parental Controls which just won't give up by Renske
Hi, I noticed parental controls already led to a lot of discussions on this forum. However I didn't find my problem. I copied a game folder of my old computer (which had windows XP, so that might not be good). Now, when I start the game it doesn't tell me it doesn't work, no, it tells me that Parental Controls have prevented this application from running. Here's the weird thing though: 1 I am...
August 6th 08 10:28 PM
by mommag Go to last post
4 319
xp root drive permissions messed up by Harryhk
Hello! Greetings everyone. I installed xp (sp2 DIY streamlined) inside drive E: ; and vista (home premium) in C: . After I booted into vista, I decided to sort things out ;P so I simply rename/label drive E: to WINXP (since xp os inside), then the system warns and requires my permission and I allowed.
August 5th 08 06:58 PM
by Harryhk Go to last post
0 279
vista password by jenni117
My son recently purchased a used computer from a moving sale. He didn't get any software with the computer, (bad mistake) and unable to log on due to prior owner's user account/password. He went back to where he purchased, but was not able to get the original software or speak with the prior owner, (owner already moved). What do we do now? -- jenni117 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
August 5th 08 05:57 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
8 347
User Logon Service failed, help! by BonnieKM
I cannot logon to my administrative user name, even though my password is correct. I receive an error message saying "User Login Service service has failed." Then it "logs" me back out to the start up screen and allows me only to login to the guest account. It is a limited account and therefore I can make no changes to my computer. When I do try to make changes and it prompts me for my...
August 4th 08 03:07 PM
by dmex[_91_] Go to last post
3 345
User Accounts by Kjarri
I have Windows Vista Home Premium and until now I had no problem. But I decided to make a new account (for my kids) and have it a standard account. Then when I log in to that account it take a while for to make desktop settings and then when it start on that Account I will get about 10 Poppups windows telling me that "Windows cannot open this file: File MSASCui.exe, rundl32.exe, SkyTel.exe,...
August 4th 08 03:00 PM
by Brink Go to last post
8 444
Is it possible to run as administrator without password? by iandad
I help to administer a small set of computers used for teaching. One of the courses requires a program that won't run unless "run as administrator" is used. Then, of course, it asks for the password. However, we don't the tutors/pupils to have the password. Does anyone know how to run the program and hide the administrator password from the user? Thanks Michael
August 4th 08 11:47 AM
by LeftFoot Go to last post
8 392
Boot to incorrect Pssword/accout name screen by cowman13
i recently created a guest and standard account on my PC runnign Vista Home Premium and added a password to my admin account. Now when i boot i get the error screen and when i go to the user selection screen there is a duplicate administrator account. But when i have logged in there is only one admin account. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. P.S. Let me know...
August 4th 08 07:30 AM
by cowman13 Go to last post
0 261
Need to do a Factory Restore but lost all passwords so blocked by Miss Grunge
I need to do a Factory Restore of my laptop. I can't get to the Repair Your computer option because I can't even login. The username that comes up is not the one I use. There are 3 choices of usernames, Guest, Administrator, and the 'name'. I tried my password, which I was sure was right (but clearly isn't) into all three accounts and it is wrong. I used the 'help' advice to change one...
August 4th 08 05:14 AM
by oscar Go to last post
6 253
whats up with Windows Live Hot Mail? by LeftFoot
Hi, anna. This forum is for discussion of Vista Administration Accounts and Passwords, but not for password issues with Hotmail. You might have better luck getting help from experts on Hotmail by trying to find some place where issues with browser-based e-mail are discussed. If you're using Outlook to get your Hotmail, then you'd want to post in the Outlook general discussion area, I...
August 3rd 08 08:57 PM
by Paul Montgomery Go to last post
7 253
autoschedule Disk Cleanup and Error Checking by moosescooter
In Vista I can schedule defrag and some other maintenance programs to run automatically. However, I do not see the option to schedule Disk Cleanup or Error Checking to run automatically. Can these programs be scheduled to run automatically? Thanks -- moosescooter
August 3rd 08 04:50 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 268
deleting activity reports by natalie
On the parental controls, is there anyway to delete the activity reports once I've viewed them?
August 3rd 08 04:49 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 235
vista folder permissions by peter_c
i have taken delivery of laptop with vista but i need to change permissions on system32 folder. i have disabled UAC and right clicked on folder, but each time i change settings, i get access denied. i am user with admin rights so i should be able to change this right? any help appreciated. thanks
August 1st 08 03:30 PM
by LeftFoot Go to last post
3 255
reinstalling vista by blackbaz
My motherboard has died and I am replacing it along with new hard drive can I install my registered copy of vista ultimate or do I have to contact microsoft? any help or who to contact would be great Thanks
July 29th 08 06:17 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
3 260
must use "run as administrator" by William Powell[_2_]
At 85 years, I am afraid to tinker with registry, security or internet settings. I leave these things for the experts. I have a game , ZUMA.EXE that I play almost daily. Recently, a screen comes up telling me that I must run as administrator. I bought the game over a year ago and there was no expiration clause or anything else to cause it to quit working normally. Is there any simple fix other...
July 29th 08 08:30 AM
by William Powell[_2_] Go to last post
7 252
Offline Files not working by Eric Bursley
I'm running Vista Enterprise, and my offline files service will not start. The event view shows the following error when I try and start it: The Offline Files service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.
July 28th 08 03:31 PM
by Coert Go to last post
2 216
ACREDITE FUNCIONA!!!!! by [email protected]
Ganhar dinheiro rápido e honesto meu blog http://jet72.zip.net/ : QUER GANHAR UM BOM DINHEIRO? FAÇA COMO NÓS ! : COMO TRANSFORMAR 12 REAIS EM NO MINIMO DOZE MIL REAIS !! : EU TAMBEM NÃO ACREDITAVA!! VOCÊ É CAPAZ, APENAS FAÇA FUNCIONAR.!
July 27th 08 04:31 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 216
network services and users accounts by Jill D Lennon LLC
I have encountered a problem with my network list service and network awareness services not starting. I am getting an error 5 - access denied. I would like to put all of these services under a specific account and control the user they run under. But - there are dependencies that are saying the services will now not start because they are dependent on a service running under a different...
July 27th 08 03:55 PM
by Jill D Lennon LLC Go to last post
0 230
How to copy Vista user profiles by Mel K
(Posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords AND microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup.) Hello: I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and I have tried this before with
July 27th 08 02:22 PM
by Mel K Go to last post
0 219
Re entering username and password in Window Mail by Just Asking
Each time I open Windows Mail (Vista) on my home computer and when I hit send and receive, I must enter my username and password. I have it checked to save this, but it will not. Any suggestions? Thanks.
July 26th 08 04:18 PM
by question Go to last post

From The