Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
User account is Administrator but isn't by tim_han
Hi, I've had a problem for a while now with my Vista Ultimate 32bit. It is the Upgrade version. A few months ago I had to do a reinstall, so I had to install vista, then reinstall it to register with my key. Since this time, I don't have full admin privilidges (yes, I understand no one really does with Vista, but this is different :) ). I had a problem where my recovery software wouldn't see...
July 12th 08 11:33 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 294
My user accounts appear twice on the welcome screen?!?! by Overhearyourself
As I said, my user accounts appear twice on the welcome screen, and when I turn the guest account on, it appears twice as well. What do I do? How do I get it back to normal?
July 12th 08 07:43 PM
by Nicalaine Go to last post
3 300
Group Policy - gpedit.msc file not present on the Vista premium by missile
I just bought a laptop installed with Vista Premium and when i tried to open the group policy management console, it says gpedit.msc file does not exist.I checked the system 32 folder and it does not have it either.Can anyone please advise me as to what i need to do in this case. -- missile
July 12th 08 07:14 PM
by Smithsonian[_5_] Go to last post
4 377
The group policy client failed the logon. Access is denied? by Smithsonian[_5_]
This is for the built in administrator account. It happens everyday now. deleting ntuser.dat was a temp solution that allowed login until you log off(I think). -- Smithsonian
July 12th 08 07:13 PM
by Smithsonian[_5_] Go to last post
1 304
Access Denied Permission Settings by Raiden1803
When your logged into the administrative account ( like i always am ) is their a way to tell it too stop asking administrative permission before you edit your own files? every time i delete something on one of my HD partitions it says i need to provide administrative permission to be able too do anything that im doing. Which is really annoying and strange consideirng im logged into the...
July 12th 08 04:41 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
1 279
Incorrect Time Stamp In History Properties by marcopolo
Hi, I need help with a basic issue I have with the time stamp / last viewed under the properties in my history field. If I return to my history to confirm when a site etc was last viewed to open the properties for that information, I receive the present/current time instead of when I actually was there. This has happened on two other computers I use to share, and have been told that no...
July 11th 08 10:57 PM
by marcopolo Go to last post
0 251
Vista Ultimate Cannot Find Backup Sets by danix803
I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext hard drive... I did a 'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor) Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the other DELL junk... Now, I'd like to restore the computer to...
July 11th 08 10:05 PM
by ddubose Go to last post
8 308
Protect Administrator Account by Albatrosi
Hi,I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1,and I have create my Administrator Account with Password Protected,and a Standard User for my family. But my brother loged in as a Standard User,did something in REGEDIT and I saw that he can delete or change password of my Administrator Account. How can I protect my administrator account,how to prevent from being deleted? Please help...
July 11th 08 08:16 PM
by Albatrosi Go to last post
4 312
The group policy client service failed the login - Access is denied. by Smithsonian[_5_]
I tried to login to the administrator account today and it says: The group policy client service failed the login Access is denied. Any ideas? -- Smithsonian
July 11th 08 07:54 PM
by Smithsonian[_5_] Go to last post
1 239
Changing system environment variables by JeffG
I know I've done this before on a Vista system, but on a new install I can't find any way to change the system environment variables: I need to add something to the 'path' variable. Please help!
July 11th 08 04:47 AM
by tim.wilson Go to last post
3 246
desktop settings by rosemary4754
Today when I turned on my computer, and logged onto my user account, instead of opening up normally, I got like a brand new desktop with none of my settings. But when I was searching to see what might have happened, under C:/users my account is there with all of my stuff but there was also 2 new accounts - TEMP and TEMP.desktop. How can I correct this so that when I log on, I get...
July 10th 08 09:13 PM
by rosemary4754 Go to last post
1 237
create a "con" folder by Jassim Rahma
i want to create a new folder, just a simple empty folder with the name "con" without quotes, but it's say the name is invalud!! why is that?
July 10th 08 04:23 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
2 230
Vista Log On Password Reset by Gary
We can't remember the logon pass word to our computer as it has been a long time since we have used it. Is there a way to reset or by-pass so we can gain access to the computer?
July 10th 08 04:14 PM
by leo Go to last post
3 264
Unwanted User Account by Jon D
I have an unwanted Vista user account. You only see it in the "Users" folder. I deleted via Control Panel / Users etc... But folder still appears. Has anyone got a script that can help? My problem is that some scheduled tasks attempt to run at startup pointing at the partially deleted user account. I really do not want to re-install. Would welcome any assistance Regards
July 10th 08 03:10 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
1 289
User Field of Event properties Doesn't show UserName in windows Vi by Deepak Jha
Hi, When i am opening Eventviewer in windows vista.and Double click any events.User field in Event properties Shows N/A.Previously in windows 2000 and windows 2003 OS It was showing the Username who generated that event. Is anybody aware of this changes and also Any setting has to be done to get User name in event properties. Thanks in Advance
July 10th 08 07:33 AM
by Deepak Jha Go to last post
2 241
office 2003 by MCRoller
Can I install office 2003 on a different user account without screwing up (overwriting) my 2007 suite? Particularly I want to use Access 2003 in the extra account? -- I may have posted this already and if this is a dup I sincerely apologize mcroller
July 10th 08 06:03 AM
by MCRoller Go to last post
0 228
Lost Admin Privileges in Vista by Charles Nuglene
I am an admin and ran into a new problem. I have lost my ability to use my admin token when trying to do certain tasks in Vista Home Premium. I understand UAC to a point as I have read articles on technet, etc. I can not run utilities such as CHKDSK /F as I get error stating: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. I...
July 9th 08 10:49 PM
by Gary. L Go to last post
7 400
remote usernames are messed up after renaming by Stefan[_4_]
Hi NG, I have a PC with Windows Vista Ultimate. During the installation I created a user called "Terra" with password "XXX" (not the actual password XD). Later I decided that I want to use this Account for something else and renamed it to "MCE". Later I decided that I still want a User called "Terra", so I created
July 9th 08 10:16 PM
by Stefan[_4_] Go to last post
0 227
office 2003 by MCRoller
here's my problem. I am taking an access 2003 class at my local JC. I have office 2007 installed on my system at home. I would like to be able to run the 2003 application in a seperate user account and have that as my default office suite while in that account. How can I do this? I really don't want to uninstall 2007 just for this short class. -- Also if I load the 2003 in the new account...
July 9th 08 05:54 AM
by MCRoller Go to last post
0 219
No spell check by marlena
No spell check is allowed in this language. What do I do?
July 9th 08 03:30 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post

From The