Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How do I sign on as administrator? by PHPBABY3
I am trying to modify a text file in c:\Program Files\EasyPHP 2.0b1\www using Notepad. It says "Can't create file." However, I can create and refile it using Start - Computer (Windows Explorer) by copying and pasting the file. It says, "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder." and I click CONTINUE, then it asks, "User Account Control: Windows needs...
June 28th 08 02:30 PM
by Spike9458[_2_] Go to last post
8 580
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Aaron Martinez
Well i want to know , not if I should turn the (A program needs your permission to continue) message. but how to turn it off. I tried running the program as administrator but its still not working. i want to avoid going to the process of having that message that always end up making programs that use the same message (A program needs your permission to continue) ran. I want to turn it off so...
June 28th 08 07:22 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
2 608
Add/Remove Program by Steph
I've been trying to remove ErrorSmart from my computer. It's not the complete program, just a scan so it does not offer its own uninstall option. Windows said it was preparing to uninstall then I get the message: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. Then, You do not have sufficient access to uninstall ErrorSmart. Please contact your system...
June 28th 08 01:56 AM
by Sulthan Go to last post
3 529
Activation Codes by Jacqui
Hello, I bought a brand new computer with vista pre installed on it, great memory capabilities etc love it especially the entertainment factors, I am not an expert at computers so when I accidently zipped all my files together and then tried to unzip them back to their original places it didnt happen.... decided to get my code as I received no cd with new pc... rang Microsoft to be...
June 27th 08 11:15 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 517
Old hard drive permission to open files on Vista by Woodzys
My old Win Xp Laptop broke so I'm using the hard drive as an external for my new Vista Laptop, but whenever I try opening files from it I'm getting trouble with permission. I have tried changing permissions on the security tab of properties but not having much luck, although I had a bit of luck with idividual files within folders but cant for the life of me work out how to set it for...
June 27th 08 12:16 AM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
1 472
How to turn off the computer without the button by WUshy
I've a trouble when i try to turn off my computer. The button had been lost. What can I do to make it right? thank you
June 26th 08 11:54 AM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
1 462
"Sam" as a username by JL Hunt
I have a friend for whom I put together a computer with Vista Home Basic on it. She is not very computer savvy, and relies on me for support. She "suddenly" began having all sorts of problems that I couldn't explain. (The one that made her call me was that the computer was asking if she wanted to format her DVD... even the Vista installation DVD.) I thought it was a communications...
June 25th 08 08:14 AM
by Nonny Go to last post
3 482
Locked out of Admin Account by chuakp
Hi, I stupidly changed my admin account (not the built-in one) into a standard user account. I have previously enabled the built-in administrator account so I thought that I will be able to login as administrator using that built-in account. But the welcome screen now does not show the built-in administrator account and I have no access to any admin account. I have tried using safe mode but no...
June 25th 08 06:17 AM
by Chandan Omkar[_2_] Go to last post
1 504
Need to RUN AS ADMIN but the option is not available? by cmcn
I have a new Vista computer and MSOffice 2003. Can't get rid of the EULA message every time I open a document. I've read that you need to run the program as an administrator to finally accept the EULA but when I right click on MSWORD in the Start menu I don't get the option to do that. Any advice?
June 25th 08 06:10 AM
by Chandan Omkar[_2_] Go to last post
3 458
User account locks up by CL959
I have a new Dell desk top with Windows Vista. My user account automatically locks when the system goes into power save mode after not being used for awhile. I have to shut down and re-boot. Is there a way to avoid having my user account lock up ?
June 25th 08 05:56 AM
by Chandan Omkar[_2_] Go to last post
3 509
Admin access to password protected regular user account by dad1234
How do I access a password protected regular user account on my computer? I am the Administrator, and I want to access the account without changing or deleting the regular account password.
June 25th 08 01:01 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 505
User profile defaults to "temp" on reboot by MRL325i
Hello. I am using Vista basic on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. Just recently, when the machine is rebooted, I get an error message that the user profile is not loading correctly and the pc goes into a routine where it boots up to what looks like the default setup -- it says that it is creating a desktop, and all of the Dell support stuff pops up. I have to do the following to get back to...
June 24th 08 02:17 PM
by MRL325i Go to last post
0 455
Windows cannot change the password by scvsmark
This makes no sense. I had no problem with our Vista laptop but with our new desktop that also has Vista Home Premium, I am unable to CHANGE? passowrd. When I click Create A New Password, a message pops up saying "Windows cannot change password" -There is no password to change!
June 24th 08 09:41 AM
by Majt Go to last post
1 446
desktop icons on different user accounts by CoMpMaStErRyAn
is there a way to make it so that other user accounts don't have the same desktop icons as the main admin account? if i delete the icons from the other user account, they are deleted from the admin account and vice versa. is there a way to get rid of the icons on another user's desktop without deleting them from the main account?
June 24th 08 06:02 AM
by CoMpMaStErRyAn Go to last post
0 443
Getting back my keyboard driver by gavin
Using Vista Home Premium: I plugged in a USB 102 key keyboard in my laptop the system found the driver and worked ok. On disconnecting the keyboard (and restarting the laptop) I've lost the functionality of the laptop keyboard (need to press Fn key to access some normal characters. Looked in control panel - keyboard but did not see original driver. Can someone help me retrieve my original...
June 23rd 08 10:15 PM
by gavin Go to last post
0 435
Access XP data drive using Vista Ult (XP drive=slave drive only NO by John C (Go Packers!)
I have already taken ownership over what I was able to via the "Security" tab of the XP data drive and it does show that I am the current owner re the admin portion of the drive, HOWEVER, physically...I am unable to view ANY directory or folders on this drive. Vista only shows a drive letter and when I click on drive...says "no access". Windows Vista recognizes only that it is a...
June 23rd 08 07:38 PM
by John C (Go Packers!) Go to last post
0 423
Lost Vista Ultimate on Boot-up by Thomas
Running a workstation w/ 6 hard drives. My first O/S on separate HD is Win 2K Pro; 3 yrs. later, I added XP Pro on separate HD; last yr. added Vista Ult. on a separate HD. All worked well. Got to choose which O/S or HD to boot after the SCSI initialization every time I powered-up. Foolish me: I decided to load one of the 3 idle HDs w/ XP Pro so I could use it for gaming exclusively. Now...
June 23rd 08 07:04 PM
by Thomas Go to last post
0 418
Altered Hosts File by lrichar3
I am trying to change my hosts file so I don't allow access to a particular site. In the process I accidentally changed the extension of the orignal HOSTS file, it is now a .org file and I cannot find a way to get rid of the extension. There are no previous versions to restore to, and renaming no longer changes the file type. How can I either create a new HOSTS file, or restore the orginal one?
June 23rd 08 11:34 AM
by lrichar3 Go to last post
0 420
Administrator missing by ren
OK, hopefully somebody out there can help on this one, as I have not seen anything like it among previously asked questions. My laptop, which was purchased about a year ago, came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I set up my single account as an adminstrator and everything went fine for a long time. A couple of weeks ago, however, I realized that I never had my parents set up...
June 23rd 08 03:27 AM
by ren Go to last post
0 442
ms outlook by frustratedincanada
when I try to import a backup pst file I get a message that I do not have permission to do so
June 23rd 08 02:05 AM
by frustratedincanada Go to last post

From The