Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Administrator locked out by tom
I have Windows Vista home. I was changing some settings on one of my user accounts (not the main one) on my computer. After I was done. The Administrator was locked out of all critical areas. I'm able to see some files but I'm not able to get to any critical files. I can't open "Computer" file. I also can't transfer any files to my external hard drive to save if I have to reformate the...
June 20th 08 04:34 AM
by Asheba Go to last post
2 346
User Account Control Failure by Ken Garrard
While attempting to delete a file I was told that I needed permission to do this and asked if I wished to retry. The retry does not work even though I am logged in as administrator. I opened up the permissions on the file and folder with no joy. I disabled user account control and was able to delete the file so I re-enabled user account control. Now I have the problem again on another file...
June 20th 08 03:35 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 408
Admin & Main user by Mopsy
I have an Administrator account and then, as suggested, a main user account. When I put in software, it usually goes to both sides--one example would be Family Tree Maker. It went in to both sides very nicely. However, they are not connected so if I change one side, I need to change the other side. I downloaded my password agent and it went to Admin only. I managed to get it over to ...
June 20th 08 02:53 AM
by Mopsy Go to last post
0 307
shutting down by robbo
When I use another account besides the administrator, when I go to shut down it just sits there. It wont log off but it will change if you click switch users. But it wont log off or shuit down. I can log off the other accounts. I have hit ctrl-alt-delete and sometimes get it to shut down but most of the time I have to manually push the button to shut down. Any help would be greatly...
June 20th 08 01:43 AM
by robbo Go to last post
0 335
keeping a user a "standard user" by artist4hire
I am the administrator of my computer, however, my son keeps changing his user account to an administrator account. How do I stop my children from changing anything on my computer, besides locking it down? I want them to be able to use the computer but be protected as well as protecting certain files and features on my computer. I have Windows Vista. Thank you for your time and expertise.
June 20th 08 01:16 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
4 345
Switch users under Remote Desktop by Don
I have to remotely administer a couple of computers (Vista Business) that run standalone, we are not part of any kind of network/domain. I've got the hidden Administrator account active and passworded on all machines, but the individual users of these machines run in Standard User mode. When I try to do a remote desktop with them, and then have adjust something that requires Administrative...
June 19th 08 10:00 PM
by LeftFoot Go to last post
9 403
Can't get administrator privileges by Baxterl
Vista, SP1. I'm using a license install tool. I jump thru the hoops and get a final message, "Failed to install license server. You need to be an Administrator to perform this function." I'm logged in as Administrator, I've set the permissions for the pertinent folders to wide open, I've tweaked the Registry so I theoretically power up as Administrator...
June 19th 08 08:50 AM
by Luc[_2_] Go to last post
4 410
Screen Saver After Vista SP1 Upgrade by Jim14406
My screen saver got messed up after SP1 was installed. It no longer recognizes this function. I went into screen saver and saw that all was okay. It was, so I changed that setting and tried again. It still does not come up. When I select the preview function, it works fine. Any suggestions?
June 19th 08 08:33 AM
by Luc[_2_] Go to last post
1 286
Modify lock button to change user by Sascha Ziemann
Hi, this program can be used to go to the change user screen: C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe Is there any way to modify the lock button to behave like the above program? Regards
June 19th 08 08:00 AM
by Sascha Ziemann Go to last post
1 293
Admintratorrights by Walbe
Î work now with two PC (1 PC + LAPTOP) and one is always asking for Administrators-right. Problem: i don´t know how? Appreciate your help and feedback WA
June 19th 08 07:10 AM
by Walbe Go to last post
0 299
Multi-user - removing EA Games Icons by kimsr
I have a multi user installation on one Vista machine. When installing Sims 2, icons for games and expansion packs where placed on the desktops of all users. They can't be removed from each individual desktop - when I try and delete them, they are deleted from the source folder (under EA Games). Does anybody know a quick fix?
June 18th 08 08:13 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
1 312
forgot pass word to get into my laptop by sgk
I have a new toshiba laptop and I changed my password and like so many others I forgot it. Can anyone help me. -- sgk Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
June 18th 08 06:42 PM
by LeftFoot Go to last post
2 361
All Administrator Accounts have been changed to Standard Accounts by NDanielle
Hello All, I recently started getting access denied errors to basic folders like MyDocuments/My Pictures. After some digging I realized that ALL my account, which were Administrators, have been changed to Standard Accounts but they still show as Administrator accounts at the login - but in Control Panel / Accounts they say Standard. I enabled the System Administrator account at the command...
June 18th 08 06:36 PM
by NDanielle Go to last post
2 321
activity reports by gerlingch
Hello,I was wondering if there is anyway to go back further to preview previous activity than the dates shown
June 18th 08 01:49 AM
by David Herrera Go to last post
1 321
Access denied by ragtopcorvette
When I connect a camera or portable hard drive through usb connection I get a message saying "device is locked, access denied". Units work on other laptop when connected. Also have "no access" red circles with lines through on dvd and cd drive. Using vista as os.
June 18th 08 12:38 AM
by ragtopcorvette Go to last post
0 255
Working Offline by Sweet Georgia Brown
Hey, can someone explain to me in lay terms, why I would want to work offline? What exactly does it mean to work offline? -- Sweet GB
June 17th 08 11:25 PM
by Sweet Georgia Brown Go to last post
0 286
Help Please!!! by Hoover24
I am not able to log on to my account which is the administrator account. It says unable to log on. I can only log on to a guest account and if I try to make changes it asks for the administrator password from my account that I cannot log on to and it does not accept my password. Can someone please help me out. Thanks -- Hoover24
June 17th 08 11:20 PM
by Hoover24 Go to last post
2 275
Icon Doubleed - Vista SP1 by [email protected]
I sorted myself by removing the OMNIPASS program and re installing it right after next reboot. All good now. So thanks for your suggestion. It work live is good again and im still depating why i didnt get a MAC with final cut pro in it..
June 17th 08 11:11 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 285
User Profile without internet & programs that auto start by Movienut50
Can someone point me in the direction to find out how to setup a new user where there is no internet connected or any anti-virus pgm's running. (from a new Vista user) Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums
June 17th 08 07:15 PM
by Movienut50 Go to last post
0 301
administrator rights by frodoman
A couple weeks ago, I installed a trial versision of a calendar program. Didn't like it, went to uninstall... got message that it was installed with administrator rights and wouldn't let me uninstall. can any one help me? the program is "Smart Draw" and is quite large. Thanks
June 17th 08 04:45 PM
by Bob's Vista Go to last post

From The