Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't open UAC? by Arya Senna
Hi, I've got a problem with Vista User Access Control, When I try to open it (in Pproperties-Security) it always end failed with this message : "Cannot open access control editor. Invalid value for registry". My account got administrator privelege, and this problem applied for all objects ("files/folders") in my HDD. I'm Vista Home Basic Users, and I thought my system is still clean since...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 14th 08 02:56 PM
by bluenote229 Go to last post
11 629
Can't install Symantec Antivirus 10.5.5000 on Vista Ultimate by Mike
I'm trying to install a network version of the Symantec Antivirus client on my work machine with Vista Ulitmate SP1 and it says I need Administrator privileges and my account has workstation administrator permissions on the domain and I have domain admin permissions on the network and still can't install it. I also logged in as the built in administrator account locally the machine and it...
May 14th 08 01:51 PM
by Mike Go to last post
2 354
Vista Administrator account cannot see updates in Windows Update by fganter
in Vista Ultimate 64 bit I can see updates in Windows Update if I'm logged in as the built in administrator but not when I'm logged in as a domain user I added to the local administrators group updates are being served by WSUS 3.0 SP1 I must be missing something obvious. help would be appreciated.
May 14th 08 01:11 AM
by fganter Go to last post
0 295
E-mail password by Ben
New Vista user and I am the administrator and only user. Microsoft Outlook will not store my password. Have used various approaches to the e-mail account page and always check the Store Password box but it never stores, so I have to provide the password every time I check my mail. Anyone have a suggestion? Frustrating. -- Ben
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 14th 08 01:05 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
10 610
Standard verses Administrator by Mark2006
I have just upgraded to Vista Business. I have installed all the hardware and software necessary to do my work. While doing that I used the account type of administrator. At this point I am wondering if I should change the account type to standard. My questions: 1) If I change it to standard can I change it back? 2) I presume I should have a second account that is an administrator...
May 13th 08 08:56 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
3 360
History Deleting vs. Parental Controls by tonikart
I understand that Vista provides views of account activity through the use of Parental Controls, but what if my son continually deletes his browsing history and cookies after he uses the computer? Will I still be able to view his activity accurately through the parental control report?
May 13th 08 08:55 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
1 295
Password reset by Ana A. Braga
I loocked up my computer and cann't remember the password. I already reboost my laptop and it did not help. I need to reset the password to get on my computer. What should I do?
May 13th 08 03:52 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 305
Limit functions in Vista by Hans
Hi, Whats the best way to modify the available function in vista to a user ? Situation: students with a mental handicap are learning to work with pc, but we want to give them only 2 applications, and a stop function. All other default function of Vista have to be disabled. Anybody an idea ? Thanks,
May 13th 08 02:07 PM
by Hans Go to last post
0 262
Classic Logon Screen by Dave C
How do I turn off fast user switch and turn on the classic logon screen. I have a fingerprint reader and in XP this only worked from the classic logon screen. Ive followed the instructions in the MS Press Vista admin guide where you go into local policy settings and enable classic logon but it doesnt seem to do anything. My PC is used by my wife as well but not with the fingerprint reader.
May 13th 08 11:53 AM
by big_cam_01 Go to last post
6 578
erro in joining domain by GS
I installed an vista business version 23 bit on a P4 3.06 Ghz pc with 2GB ram with evga gt6200le graphics. it was successfully installed and running at a decent speed. However when I tried joining to the domain, I got error: network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt. The following error...
May 12th 08 10:26 PM
by forum.microsoft.com Go to last post
1 307
.png images and UAC by JSandPC
IE7 does not display .png images. All other images display correctly. The .png images appear as red-x's on any page that has them. I did some testing and found that if I log on as another user (IE: guest), then .png images display in IE7. Also, if I run IE as Administrator, .png's display. Furthermore, if I turn of UAC, .png's display correctly. Only when I am logged on to my account, with...
May 12th 08 07:08 PM
by Barty1958 Go to last post
1 265
Vssadmin permission by Bill
I recently purchased a new computer and started reading Windows Vista Inside Out to learn all about the new operating system. In Chapter 2, the section on Configuring System Recovery Options, it states, "To see how much space System Restore is currently using, open a command prompt window and issue the following command: Vssadmin list shadowstorage This command prompt returns, "Error: You...
May 12th 08 02:45 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 371
help with instalation of programs by ducky oulds
i seem to have a problem with my user accounts. i try to install programs useful for my work on vista but it comes up with not an administrator. even though i am the sole user of this computer. i tried it on my cousins computer that is xp and that works perfectly many thanks duck
May 12th 08 02:43 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 285
Admin Error by Crazymanjustin
When trying to change a file in a game I recently bought, i get a message saying i need permission from the admin, though I am the only user/admin.
May 11th 08 08:49 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
1 275
Administrator Password by SDM912
Ok, here's the scenario... I was trying to go back and set my personal account to Standard which I was successful at doing. Now the Administrator Password is the one that I guess came with the computer. It's called ASN.. I have know Idea what the password is for this account. How can I recover a lost Administrator Password if there are no other administrators on the computer except for the...
May 11th 08 06:38 PM
by Brink Go to last post
2 284
To all you Moms out there by Lady Tex
Thanks SG :) There's a bit of being a Mom in all of us :) LT "SG" wrote: Happy Mothers Day I wish you all the best and hope everyone has a great day.
May 11th 08 03:56 PM
by Lady Tex Go to last post
0 327
User Account by peter
Hi there, i have a question. when i go to my computer - right click properties. - the computer name is peter - full computer name is peter however. as i enter 'cmd'
May 11th 08 10:59 AM
by DeadlyMayhem Go to last post
3 262
The system could not find the environment option that was entered by Lisa
about a month ago my mothers OneCare stopped working properly, and yesterday my one care was in the red danger zone and said that an important upgrade failed and to try it again. i go to try and reset the permissions for OneCare and the message:: "The system could not find the environment option that was entered" i whent to the online help center and nothing seemed to work. i tried to change...
May 11th 08 05:43 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
1 670
Is there a way as an administrator in a domain to allow a standard user not to need credentials for only a few applications? by iruleyou1
For banking applications most of them are still in the prehistoric days and will remaind that way for a long time.  I am trying to find out a better way in vista to not have to change folder permissions to modify for various applications and files that that use.  If I choose "run as an administrator" with the users logged on everything would work great.  I was excited to see that...
May 10th 08 06:32 AM
by GS Go to last post
1 308
May 9th 08 02:14 AM